Announcing the 4th Annual All Things Disney Write-Off

by
Sep 30, 2011 (Updated Dec 31, 2011)

The Bottom Line The Write-Off for those who don't want to grow up.

October starts tomorrow, and that means it is my favorite season of the year.  No, not fall.  It's time for the 4th Annual All Things Disney Write Off.

It started out 4 years ago when I decided to host a write-off in honor of Mickey Mouse's 80th birthday.  And I had so much fun I've kept the tradition alive.

Fortunately, Disney has left us no shortage of things to celebrate.  For example, Walt Disney World opened on October 1st 40 years ago.  December 5th would have been Walt Disney's 110th birthday.  Several movies are hitting milestones this year as well.  If one of them is your favorite, be sure to let us know.

As always, I am not looking for reviews focusing only on those things that are celebrating anniversaries.  Anything related to Disney is fair game.  Obviously, the various movies and theme parks are welcome.  But I will take a book or toy based on a Disney property.  There are Disney video games.  ABC and ABC Family are owned by Disney, so something on those networks counts.

Disney is so much a part of our culture that references to the company and characters show up everywhere.  If you run across one of those and want to review the item and include it, those are welcome, too.  Just be sure to explain the connection.

Finally, I am more than willing to include any Writer's Corner pieces you want to write.

Disney was a very creative man.  Let that creativity inspire you as you think up ideas.

Every year, the question of negative reviews comes up.  As big a DisNerd as I am, I know that not everything Disney has done is top notch.  If you have a review of a Disney product that is negative, go ahead and include it.  I've done so in the past myself.  I would rather have honest reviews than no reviews.

I also want to take a moment to address the Marvel issue.  Yes, Disney has bought Marvel comics.  But for now, I want to leave them out of this write-off.  First, I don't feel that Disney has done much to incorporate them into their brand yet.  Second, we already have the popular Funny Pages Write-Off that Elvisdo hosts every year.  I don't want to steal his thunder.  I may revisit this in future years, but for this year, that's my policy.

As always, this write-off starts October 1st and ends December 31st.  That gives you three months to enter.

And feel free to cross post to as many write-offs as you can.  I know we've got The Geography Write-Off, ‘Tis the Season, Celebrate October, and It's Elementary My Dear Watson going on right now (assuming Talyseon leaves that last one open until December.)  Feel free to post to these or any others I don't know about or that start in the remainer of the year.

Have your entry?  Great.  Leave a link back to this essay at the bottom of your review and then leave me a link in the comments section.  I will be taking several trips over the next few months, so if I don't respond right away, I will get to it as soon as I can.

Let's see, have I covered everything?  If not, ask away.

Here are links to the last three years so you can see what kind of stuff have been reviewed in the past.  Feel free to cover any of those or something brand new.
2008 All Things Disney Write-Off
2009 All Things Disney Write-Off
2010 All Things Disney Write-Off

Looking forward to our magical autumn together.

The Participants:

Befus
Books: Gone with the Wand ll Tangled - Junior Novelization ll Gingerbread Cookie Murder
Kids & Family: Favorite Moments - Cinderella ll Belle and Her Enchanted Friends

Bilbopooh
Books: Sweet and Spooky Halloween ll Inside the Dream: The Personal Story of Walt Disney ll Sing Me a Loveaby? ll Thumper's Fluffy Tail ll Uncle Scrooge: Messes Become Successes ll Disney's Dogs ll Mickey Mouse and the World to Come ll 101 Dalmations - A Counting Book ll Monsters Inc.: Laugh Factory ll A Fairy-Tale Fall ll Walt Disney's Peter Pan ll When You Wish Upon a Star ll Darkwing Duck: Clean Money ll Quasimodo to the Rescue! ll Dear Pastor ll Donald Duck, TV Star ll Zazu's View ll Eeyore, Be Happy! ll Thumper Finds a Friend ll Friend for Life ll Morning at Pride Rock ll The Aristocats and the Missing Necklace ll Bambi's Hide and Seek ll The Fair Fiasco ll A Trusty Old Pal ll Wizards of Mickey: Mouse Magic ll Hercules: Lightning Strikes ll Bill Peet: An Autobiography ll Muppet Mash ll The Ugly Duckling ll Grateful ll Treasures of Old ll Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland ll The Kitten-Sitters ll Just be Nice (And Help a Friend) ll What is a Princess? ll Goodnight, Thumper ll Tarzan Goes Bananas ll The Beast's Feast ll Chester, I Love You ll Winter Wishes ll The Grasshopper and the Ant ll Donald Duck at the Toy Store ll Mother-Daughter Bookclub: Home for the Holidays ll What a Surprise! ll Donald Duck and the Garden ll A Spooky Adventure ll Daisy's Secret ll Mickey Mouse and the Pet Show
Christmas Ornaments: The Enchanted Rose ll Tron Light Cycle ll Hello, Snow!
Food: Tangles Fruit Snacks
Games: The Magical Quest
Kids & Family: Mickey Mouse Playing Cards ll Pooh Playing Cards ll Winter White Eeyore ll Donald Duck Key ll Belle Musical Jewerly Box
Movies: Winnie the Pooh: Growing Up ll The Help ll Lemonade Mouth ll Winnie the Pooh: The Wishing Bear ll The Bears and I ll Winnie the Pooh: Working Together ll No Deposit, No Return ll WarGames ll My Neighbor Totoro ll Darby O'Gill and the Little People ll Read It and Weep ll Gus ll The Absent-Minded Professor ll Fantasia ll Fantasia 2000 ll Castle in the Sky ll Halloweentown/Halloweentown II ll Beauty Shines from Within ll Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie ll The Cat from Outter Space ll The Muppets (2011) ll That Darn Cat! ll Candleshoe ll Howl's Moving Castle ll The Wild ll Cowboy Pooh ll Geek Charming ll Escape to Witch Mountain ll Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Music: Maccabeats: Voices from the Heights ll Disney's Fairy Tales Weddings ll Country Sings Disney ll Monsters Inc. Scream Factory Favorites lll Disney Villains: Simply Sinister Songs ll Essential Disney Love Song Collection ll Breakaway ll The Green Album ll Mannheim Steamroller Meets the Mouse ll Tangled Soundtrack ll Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Travel: Haunted Mansion
TV: V - The Complete Second Season

Carstairs38
Books: Heat Rises ll F.O.W.L. Disposition ll Kingdom Keepers IV: Power Play ll The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney ll Hidden Mickey: Sometimes Dead Men Do Tells Tales ll In Service to the Mouse ll Peter and the Secret of Rundoon
Christmas Ornaments: Goofy as Jacob Marley ll Up ll Jazzy All the Way ll Teatime in Wonderland ll Bright Beginning ll Jiminy Cricket ll Dreams Do Come True ll Pongo Saves the Day ll Tangled Rapunzel and Flynn Rider ll Sulley, Mike, and Boo ll The Enchanted Rose
Games: Epic Mickey
Movies: Hercules ll The Three Caballeros ll The Great Mouse Detective ll Saludos Amigos ll The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit ll Herbie Rides Again ll Gus
Travel: The Walt Disney Family Museum ll Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage ll Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMovers ll Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress  ll Peter Pan's Flight - Disneyland
TV: Melissa & Joey - Season 1 Part 2 ll V - The Complete Second Season

Djningr
Kids & Family: Cinderella's Jewelry for Dress up Play ll Lego Mater's Spy Zone ll Huffy Disney Princess 6 Inches Scooter

Elvisdo
Kids & Family: Toy Story 3: Tri-County Sanitation Truck ll Woody with Bullseye ll Toy Story 3: Buzz Lightyear with Spaceship ll Toy Story 3: Tri-County Landfill ll Toy Story 3: Rex, Hamm, and Alien
TV: DuckTales - Raiders of the Lost Harp ll DuckTales - The Masked Marauders

Jankp
Books: Wonderland
Movies: Toby Tyler ll Gordy

Ldon526
Kids & Family: My Busy Books Cars 2 Cool Cars

Kelly60
Games: Disney Channel All Star Party for Wii
Kids & Family: Mickey Mouse Plush Toy ll Minnie Mouse Plush Toy ll Mickey Mouse Tupperwear Set

Krial
Games: Mickey Mousecapade ll Duck Tales

Shopaholic_man
Music: When the Sun Goes Down

Sleeper54
Christmas Ornaments: 2011 Captain Jack Sparrow

Swooshfan2
Books: Phineas and Ferb: My Funny Valentine
Kids & Family: LEGO Toy Story 3 Pizza Planet Truck ll Dug Talking Plush ll LEGO Toy Story 3 Great Train Chase ll LEGO Cars Flo's Cafe ll
Agent P & Dr. Doofenshmirtz with Backfiring Uglyinator Gun Action Figure Set ll Monopoly - Disney Edition
Movies: Winnie the Pooh (2011) ll The Muppets (2011) ll Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Music: Santa Claus Lane ll In the Key of Disney

Talyseon
Books: The Son of Neptune

Texas-Swede
Restaurants: San Angel Inn
Travel: Space Mountain - Disney World ll Living with the Land ll Soarin ll The Seas with Nemo and Friends ll Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Member: Mark Baker
Location: Sunny Southern CA
About Me: Getting hooked on Veronica Mars all over again.