Nice Budget Juicer

Aug 6, 2011 (Updated Aug 14, 2011)

Pros:Produces good quality juice; budget price; cleans up well.

Cons:Small food chute; must push food slowly to allow for proper juicing.

The Bottom Line: This is a great entry-level or occasional juicer machine because it is a bit labor intensive, but very affordable.

My husband and I bought the Hamiton Beach HealthSmart 67900 juicer after watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."  The one recommended in the film is quite expensive and we're not even sure we can do a ten-day cleansing, so we decided to stick with a well-reviewed budget model. At $39.99 at KMart, this one fit the bill.

It is a tidy, space-efficient unit that only takes up about a foot square of counter space.  The thing with a juicing program is to keep your machine handy, so size matters!

The 67900 comes very well packed, with recyclable/compostable cardboard cushioning instead of everlasting foam.  It was easy to remove from the box, which is always a plus to me.

The machine is constructed of white plastic, with a stainless steel blade-cup and clear light purple lid, pulp bin and juice catcher, so it's attractive enough.  I would prefer a nice, easy to clean touch-button to a dial for operation, though.

The food chute is a bit small, only about an inch and a half one way and maybe  two and half inches the other.  Even a small apple has to be cut in eigths.  Therefore, juicing will be a little more hand-labor intensive with this machine.

Our initial juicing was a beet, two small apples and two stalks of celery.  On the "2" setting the food was perhaps too rapidly drawn through, netting only about a half-cup of juice.  Seeing that the pulp looked pretty juicy and rather chunky, we emptied it into a bowl and re-ran it through the juicer by spooning it into the chute, which tripled the output and greatly reduced the compostable.
UPDATE:  Operator error seemed to be the problem with the first few runs.  The manual doesn't mention that pushing the food into the chute should be done at a slow, even speed.  After experimenting a bit we've learned to push the foods slowly enough to let the machine do its work.  The pulp is much drier and more juice is produced.

The juice produced was finely strained with a nice amount of healthful fibrous particles.  If you don't like that, a pouring through a gold-mesh coffee filter while decanting it into glasses would be just the ticket.

One ease-of-cleaning drawback is that the blade-cup is not recommended for the dishwasher because it could become bent.  My husband also noted that the fine nature of it might also harbor food and detergent particles.  However, if you wash it immediately after using it, the hand-washing is not a big deal.

We were glad a perfectly-sized cleaning brush came with the juicer.It helps get into those little angles on the plastic parts and to safely clean the blade-cup.  The plastic parts can also be washed in the top rack of the dishwasher, but if you plan to juice frequently, you may as well just hand wash quickly after using the juicer.  They cleaned up well and were not stained by the beets.  A real plus is that the inner juice spout assembly comes out for a good cleaning.

The exterior of the machine wipes down well with a damp paper towel and the hole that the juice spout comes out through can be cleaned by twisting the towel into it.

Some years back we had tried a very expensive juicer (not the model recommended in the film) given to us by a friend.  I hated it because it made a leaky mess and couldn't be very well cleaned.  The Hamilton Beach HealthSmart 67900 is so much cleaner and produces as much and better-consistency juice.