Big, Bold, and Sleek

Aug 26, 2011

Pros:Adjustable, spill-proof glass shelves
Bright lighting
Ice/water in the doors

Cons:Needs another freezer shelf
Smooth doors
Butter compartment needs handle

The Bottom Line:

The roomy, well-lit interior with adjustable glass shelves would fit the needs of most any family.  The ice/water in the door adds to its energy efficiency.

We have had a top freezer refrigerator for the last 17 years, and it was still going strong.  But we decided to move it to the garage and purchase a new refrigerator when we did some kitchen updating.  We searched quite a bit, and reviewed online dozens of models.  We really liked the textured exterior of our old fridge, but apparently they are not to be found.  Sleek and smooth apparently is more stylish now.  Anyway, we have a saleswoman we trust and she suggested several brands/models that fit our needs.  We chose this Whirlpool model for several reasons.  We have had it for 3+ months now.  First the positives:  we like the dedicated butter keeper that is very roomy and has a hinged lid that does not infringe on the inside space; the interior is very spacious and well lit; lots of adjustable shelves that are sleek and seem to give more shelf space; nice deep deli tray; easy to reach water filter; love the ice/water in the door (never had that before and it's awesome); it makes cubes or crushed ice; ice container is located in the door so as not to take up shelf space, and it is easy to remove if needed.  Although this model listed is for Stainless, we purchased the black (will stainless still be 'hot' in 15 yrs?)  and are quite happy with it, although I would still prefer a textured door to the smooth door.  However it does look sleek, but I am sure at some point it will show scratches.  To help avoid scratches on the front, I place my magnetic items on the sides, which again helps it to maintain its sleek uncluttered look.  Now the negatives:  I  think it needs another shelf on the freezer side as I have to stack things too high and rearrange often, so I may see about purchasing another one;  the door to the butter keeper is smooth plexi? but needs a handle or protrusion to grasp to help avoid all the fingerprints.  Really there is nothing major on the con side of things.  I hope this Whirlpool will last as many years or more than my last fridge.  So far, I am loving my Whirlpool refrigerator!