HP 8500A for one year.

Dec 8, 2011

Pros:An overall great printer with great support.

Cons:I have no complaints.

The Bottom Line:

HP has done a great job with this printer.

Please excuse the short review but I simply find nothing to complain about regarding the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A printer. I have 4 other printers and 2 other scanners but I use the HP 8500A 98% of the time. Why? Because it is cheaper to operate and it works.

It scans, it copies it prints and it does this in color. Most important to me is it is economical. HP has gone out of their way with the HP8500A 940XL print cartridges to give you a fair price on ink. The work load of this printer and the price of the 940XL cartridge are in balance. Do I want cheaper ink? Yes, but this is a generous step in the right direction as it exists.

Yes, I admit, I tried to beat the system with a 3rdparty add on ink supply but it did not prove to be as cost effective as the HP8500A and the 940XL cartridges. In fact I lost money on the venture.

The HP8500A is fast. I tell it to print from any of my 7 computers and it responds quickly. The print speed is good. The networking and wireless features are impressive. Yes, it works with Ethernet cable, USB connection or wireless. It works every time. Scanning will be faster with USB. Ethernet cable seems to be a little faster than wireless for my router. I just ran a cable from the printer to my router and then installed the HP software on each computer. It works.

The color quality is very good but not perfect. I understand the new die type of ink is not quite as vivid as the previous type. For 98% of the users I would say the color is sufficient. If you are a professional photographer then you would want a different printer.

It prints on both sides of the page and has worked every time.

You can control scanning from your computer or directly from the printer.

HP support is a significant consideration. They have gone out of their way to address any issues I had with the printer.

It is a complicated printer with many features. That alone scares me when it comes to reliability. So far, the printer has been good in conjunction with the great backup support by HP.

I used to squeal every time I printed a large color print in high quality. Now I don’t give it a second thought. A friend stops by and I print out an 8.5” by 11” page with ½” borders and the page is full of ink. They have no problem framing the picture and putting it on their wall. Note: The picture is of them, not me.