Great Electronics, BUT...

Jan 2, 2012

Pros:Excellent Audio
Digital Noise Canceling second to none

Cons:FRAGILE
Input cable slightly undersized
Did I mention fragile?

The Bottom Line: Recommend with caution, as the cosmetics are fragile and easily damaged by nothing more than normal use.

I have owned my MDR-NC500d Digital Noise Canceling Headphones for a couple of months. I sampled several high-end headphones, and found these to be equal to all that I tried in sound quality. The Digital Noise Canceling circuitry bests all that I sampled, to including the Bose QC15, and the Sinnheiser. This circuitry samples the ambient noise and adjusts itself accordingly. The input cable is a bit undersized, but a replecement from Monster Cable improved the audio volume. This is not a major issue, but the improvement was noticible.

Unfortunately, these headphones seem to be a bit fragile. On the second use, the logo partially shed itself, the letter 'Y" in Sony no longer being with us! While not a functionality issue, it looks terrible, and is not expected in a $400 pair of headphones!

I contacted Sony Customer Service, by phone, and was told that this was not covered under warranty. I then offered to purchase the logo, but was advised that it was not available for sale to me!

When adjacent airline passengers ask me how I like the "Son" headphones, I'll tell them that they are great, but use them with extreme care as they are a bit fragile. I just hope that the damaged logo is not a sign of things to come.