Panasonic 1.2 cu. ft. Inverter Microwave Oven NN-S543

ratings (5 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

Great high-power microwave (and affordable too!)

Mar 2, 2012 (Updated Mar 2, 2012)

Pros:Powerful, easy to use, full-featured.

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: Brand new, I'd absolutely recommend this microwave.  It's powerful, affordable, full-featured, and easy to use.

This Panasonic inverter microwave is a full featured 1300-watt oven with turntable and 1.2 cubic feet of capacity.  It features digital controls with presets for popcorn, defrosting and a few others.

I purchased this microwave about 8 years ago back in 2004 and it still works great!  I bought it from Walmart for about $157 with tax and I'm very satisfied with the quality, ease of use, and flexibility.

At 1300-watts, this microwave heats things up quickly!  It generally cooks TV dinners about 1 to 1.5 minutes faster than the minimum listed time on the directions.  It took me a few uses to figure out an appropriate time to properly heat a meal without overdoing it.  A bag of popcorn is ready in about 2 minutes!

The "Inverter Turbo Defrost" feature is a very useful function for quickly thawing meat without partially cooking it.  You simply key in the weight of what you want to thaw and the microwave will automatically adjust power and time.  The turntable will also change directions clockwise to counterclockwise a few times during the process to help evening heat which I suppose is where the name "Inverter" comes from (it will also change directions when cooking normally if the cook time is long enough).  The turbo defrost works very well and saved me several times when I've forgotten to start thawing something in the fridge the night before.

Cleaning is very easy, the outside panels need nothing more than a wipe with a damp towel.  The inside is much the same though the contours make it a bit tricker.  The turntable is removable and can be cleaned with soap and water in the sink.  I've never needed to use any cleaners inside or out on the microwave, just give it a wipe with a towel every once in a while and immediately clean up any spills after cooking.

Reliability has been perfect and it doesn't seem like it'll quit anytime soon.  My warranty is long gone though, it was 1 year for parts and labor and 5 years for the magnetron tube (but not labor).

Is there anything I'd like to change?  Honestly, no, this microwave is everything I want.  It works great, it's easy to use, and it was affordable.

Overall, it's a great easy-to-use microwave with extra power to cook things quickly.  Recommended!