Rival 3 1/2 qt. Removable Crock-Pot Slow Cooker

Rival 3 1/2 qt. Removable Crock-Pot Slow Cooker

ratings (10 Epinions reviews)

Rival 3 1/2 Qt. Crock Pot - Perfect for Small Families

Mar 10, 2002

Pros:Simple to use, removable stoneware crock, reliable

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Reliable and convenient - the perfect size for a small family.

My old, old slow cooker got knocked off a high kitchen shelf and was hopelessly broken. Oh boy! Now I can finally get a new one!

Looking over all the options at my local K-Mart, I spied a great deal on the Rival Crock Pot with removable stoneware crock. My old one was not removable, and what a pain to wash! I definitely wanted one with the removable crock this time for easier cleaning.

This deal on the 3 1/2 Quart Rival Crock Pot Stoneware Slow Cooker also included a zippered padded/insulated carrying case, complete with shoulder strap. All for only $19! (I was afraid the price must have been mis-marked, but it rang up as $19 when I checked out.) The carrying case has elastic straps to hold the crock pot secure. The straps fit tightly over the lid, so the contents do not spill. And, by the way, it works like a charm. What a great way to transport food to a pot luck.

I believe this was some kind of special promotion, however. I'm not sure you can still find the carrying case included with the crock pot.

The slow cooker itself is very attractive, with a green stoneware crock and white exterior with a purple and green floral design. (There are other designs available as well.)The lid is clear plastic, which allows you to see the food as it's cooking. The temperature knob has three settings: Off, Low, and High. The electric cord is short, about two feet long.

~ How Well Does it Cook?

The Rival Crock Pot Stoneware Slow Cooker performs its job beautifully and reliably. Simply add ingredients to the crock pot one at a time, and cook for 8 to 12 hours. When you come home, your meal is ready. It is truly one-step cooking.

The stews and meats I've made in the slow cooker have all come out wonderfully tender and moist. There are many recipes included in the booklet that comes with the slow cooker. Indeed, there are a wide variety of meals you can create with a slow cooker, such as:

Swiss Steak
Baked Beans
Baked Apples
Hot Mulled Cider

~ Care and Cleaning

The Rival Crock Pot Stoneware Slow Cooker is very easy to clean, thanks to the removable stoneware crock. You can put the crock in the dishwasher, or wash by hand. The exterior can be easily cleaned with a damp sponge. The plastic lid is dishwasher safe on the top rack.

~ Tips to Remember

As with any fine ceramic, the stoneware crock cannot withstand the shock of sudden temperature changes. If the stoneware is hot to the touch, don't put in cold foods. Frozen foods can be used as part of a recipe, but don't thaw or cook large frozen foods such as roasts and chickens unless you first add at least one cup of liquid.

The removable stoneware crock is ovenproof and microwave safe, but the plastic lid is not!

Great Convenience Tip: Another wonderful thing about the removable crock is that you can fill it with all the ingredients of your recipe ahead of time and then refrigerate it. When you're ready to start cooking, simply set the crock in the base and turn to Low or High.

~ Final Recommendations

The Rival 3 1/2 Quart Crock Pot Stoneware Slow Cooker is the perfect size for a small family. If you've got four or more in your family, you might want to choose a larger size.

The Rival Slow Cooker is reliable, attractive, and convenient. The removable crock is a must-have. And if you can find the deal with the included carrying case, go for it!

I've got the 3 1/2 quart, model number 3150. Rival crock pots are easy to find at most discount stores, such as K-Mart and Wal-Mart.

"Cooks all day while the cook's away"