I do not like them - I do like them!

Apr 13, 2012

Pros:fun book, uses only 50 distinct words, rhymes

Cons:some think it's too silly, but I like it

The Bottom Line: a fun rhyming story for both kids and adults, best when read aloud

This little gem by Dr. Seuss (Theodrore Geisel) is one of my all-time favorite books.  It was written to persuae kids to try new foods, but it's also one of the most entertaining books I've ever read.  And it uses only 50 different words to tell the story.

I was first introduced to Dr. Seuss when my third-grade teacher read aloud from The Cat in the Hat.  When Mrs. Santley later read to us from The Thousand Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, we all went around the campus looking for that mysterious substance that Dr. Seuss called "ooblick".  However, Green Eggs and Ham did not cross my path until my son was in school.

We both enjoyed reading this book aloud to each other.

"I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them, Sam I Am."

When I was teaching English at Chapman College, I used to bring a copy of Green Eggs and Ham into the classroom and ask my students, "What color is the ham?"

I had the advantage, since I had the illustrations in the book, but I turned it into a lesson on modifiers.  Is the ham green?  Is it regular?  What do you think?

If I said, "Ham and green eggs",  the ham would be regular, while the eggs would be green.  But when I say, "Green eggs and ham", then both should be green.  The modifier (adjective) "green" applies to both of the nouns that follow it, "eggs" and "ham".

Grammar lessons aside, I just love the cute illustrations and the repetition of "I do not like green eggs and ham", plus the great rhymes, such as, "I do not like them in a house, I do not like them with a mouse".

By the end of this little book, our cute critter does like green eggs and ham.

Kids love this book.  You can read it aloud to pre-schoolers, but by age seven years, most kids can read it aloud to you.  It's fun!

Highly recommended, for both kids and adults.