Amazing value phones

May 16, 2012

Pros:Sound that is class A, solid build quality.

Cons:NONE

The Bottom Line: A phones, hard to beat for the money

I had originally purchased the HD 280 PRO phones after owning another set of Sennheiser headphones, the HD 202's to be exact. I was kind of reluctant to spend money again, I'd thought I had a steal on the 202's, surely nothing could sound as good! But I was curious what all the fuss was about, where the 280 PRO's as good as reviewers said they were?

Well I took the plundge, and let me tell you they are worth every penny of the $100.00 asking price and then some. I have listened to many other headphones on the market, some costing less and some costing more. NONE are as good as the HD280 PRO's. The pair that were more money, were the Bose AE2's, which I also own. Now mind you, the Bose's are close, I mean real close. But there is just something more reference about the sound the Sennheisers put out. It's really hard to put it into words, you would have to sit and listen side by side to the same music to see what I mean. The Sennheisers are shall we say 'more articulate', bass seems deeper and tighter than the Bose's do, the Bose's seem almost exagerated to some degree. The mid's and high's on both headphones are really close, but once again the Sennheisers edge past the Bose AE2's. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bose AE2's, they are amazing headphones and would make any owner proud. The Bose AE2's shine listening to jazz, I suppose the fact being Jazz utilizes more mid's and high's.

The Bass in the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO's is incredible, it's down to subsonic levels, the mids and highs are spot on. If you love bass in music, you will love these puppies! You will say "WOW!" The spaciousness of the music is there as well. Let me tell you this, you will see lot's of recording artists using these phones in the studio. That tells you something right there. They are considered reference phones, what that means is you hear the music the way it was meant to be heard. NO coloration of sound, no extra bass here. Just how the artist wants you to hear it. How it was transposed onto the CD. Reference sound is my personal taste, I like to hear it how it was recorded.

If anybody is interested, the music I used for comparison, was James Taylors October Road and New Moon Shine, and GRP 10th Anniversay 3 CD set. The GRP CD set being primarily JAZZ music.

I'll say one thing that also impressed me when I got the phones, was what was in the package. Along with the headphones, you also get a plug adapter, which you can use for listening to music on your stereo receiver. While I'm on this topic,  you will notice a difference whilst listening to music through a amplifier headphone jack if you are lucky enough to have one. Another thing that kind of blew me away, was the fact that they were made in Ireland! That kind of got a WOW out of me.

If your in the market for great headphones and are comparing brands side by side, don't forget to try out these babies. Only problem is, I don't think there is anywhere you can actually go and hear them. I've never seen them in a store, of course you can order them online. Amazon sells them, that's where I bought mine. But there are other online retailers that carry them