Decent Sound, Poor Value

Jun 22, 2012

Pros:Snug fit, noise-cancelling, heavy bass

Cons:Extremely poor cable, very bass-focused sound profile

The Bottom Line: These earbuds may sound good when compared to a $5 pair, but ultimately they're unlikely to last and sound worse than earbuds in their pricerange.

I bought these headphones to replace the earbuds that came with my iPod, and yes, they were a considerable upgrade.

They fit snugly, which makes them naturally block outside noise quite well. In terms of sound quality, this is a fantastic feature, but I would be reluctant to wear them while walking around, cycling, or whatever (the main times that I want my iPod, really) because they block out so much noise that I'm less aware of my surroundings.

The build quality of these earbuds is, frankly, terrible. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 10 or 15 dollars for something so cheap feeling; a far lower price than these ever go for. My main concern was the cable, which seemed to be very poorly insulated. I could quite clearly hear the sound of the cable rubbing against my clothing as I walked, which was irritating. Eventually the cable broke (it was crushed somewhat), but I returned the earbuds to Skullcandy and was given a new pair. That pair broke in the same fashion, so I bought another pair, which also broke. Of course I do my best to protect my earbuds, but since they're something generally used outside the house, I expect them to be able to handle wear and tear, and these Skullcandy FMJ's simply did not.

The sound quality was fairly good, with a lot of satisfying, punchy bass. The earbuds seem to focus primarily on producing the best bass possible, while mids and highs are nothing impressive; however, their sound profile would work well for rap, hiphop, house, etc.