GE Has Serious Problems

Jun 29, 2012

Pros:ADA compliant (fits under low countertops)

Cons:obvious manufacturing problems; GE's silly statements about origin

The Bottom Line: My experience is that GE has significant manufacturing problems and I probably will never buy a GE product again.

This is not a reviw on how well this product works; rather a review on just getting one that is not damaged.
I ordered a GE GLDA690PBB a month ago.  It was delivered on time.  I uncrated it and installed in without any problems (I have installed several dishwashers in the past).  It started up fine and then dumped water all over the floor.  I finally found the problem after I removed the insulation blanket and discovered that the back and top were caved in probably due to being dropped during manufacturing.  There was no evidence of any damage to the packing or carton.
I contacted GE, had the original one removed and arranged for a replacment to be delivered.  That happend today.  I was smart enough to have the deliver folks uncrate it and inspect it for damage.  Another unit damaged beyound use; back was caved in, back/top edge was buckled, interior was buckled.  So the unit was refused.

GE has serious manufacturing and quality control problems

I wanted a unit slightly shorter than normal and this fit into the cavity quite nicely.  The plumbing and electrical hook ups were reasonably well located.  The instructions were easy to follow

Setting aside the damage, a few things I noticed:
1)  unit was front heavy, not a problem once installed (and screwed to the underside of the countertop) but during setup I opened the door to remove the interior packing materials and the unit tipped over on my foot
2)  straps to fasten unit to countertop or to sidewalls were flimsy
3)  GE claims that this unit is Made in USA; it is not.  It is clearly marked Made in China onthe box and on the serial number plate riveted to the frame.  The GE rep said that this meant that the carton was made in China and the number plate was made in China but the unit was manufactured in the USA -- anyone believe that?