Logitech MK320 Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse - Freedom!

Sep 16, 2012 (Updated Sep 17, 2012)

Pros:Portable, wireless, lightweight, works long range, plug and play, long battery life

Cons:Absence of light indicator on keyboard for ON, CAPS and NUM lock

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend this product to people who are tired of wired desktop keyboard and mouse.  Battery life on these products lasts as promised!

Logitech MK320 Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse

I had an HP desktop PC that lasted for 3 and a half years. Before my CPU conked out because it was horribly infected with several viruses 6 months after my antivirus expired, my mouse was already acting up and refused to budge most of the time. I had to toggle, tug and move it listlessly to get a response. I cleaned the rotating ball, replaced it back and checked the connection but nothing helped, I guess it was just overused and too old.

I used to run an online business and I can often be observed programming/encoding product information for 6 to 8 hours a day on 2/4 of my off days (I work three 12 hours shift every week at my actual job). I no longer have an online business because I’m back to student mode. When I am not using my PC, my mom uses it to play online games. I hated the wired mouse and sometimes when it gets stuck or snagged onto something - it can get really annoying. And then it finally stopped working. Great. I’m stuck with an infected CPU tower and a literally dead mouse, no pun intended.

My husband gifted me with a new CPU and a bigger TV/monitor and my mom with a laptop last Christmas (so my mom will stop using my PC lol). The CPU came with a wired keyboard and mouse which I do not like. I asked my husband if he can get me a wireless mouse and keyboard, he agreed and liked the idea. Wal-Mart is the closest store to our house (about 8 miles away) and we usually go grocery shopping in the middle of the night (open 24/7, quieter and has less patrons). We found the Logitech MK320 Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse for $39.99. Wal-Mart has only 2 kinds to choose from at that time. My husband is the geek of the family, he read the box description labels, deemed that this is the better one among the two choices and we finally purchased it.

Freedom!

Finally, freedom! I love the plug and play feature hands down. My new CPU accepted Wireless Receiver/USB and wireless mouse and keyboard is ready for use. The mouse needs 1 AA battery and the keyboard requires 2 AAA batteries - batteries pre-installed. Both have ON/OFF buttons - features that I love; it also conserves battery when not in use! When I get tired of sitting in front of the monitor, I seat myself about 6 feet away and can still work but I have to zoom in my monitor screen up to 150% so I can see what I am working on. The USB is the key piece to make both mouse and keyboard work - I used this on my LED TV to download new apps plugging it directly into its USB jack and on my mom’s laptop - it gives the laptop a PC feel. I haven’t tried this on my PS3 console yet. When the USB is connected to a compatible appliance, no matter how many wireless items (wifi on cellphones, laptops) are working in the background - it won’t get affected and the mouse and keyboard picks up the signal without any problems.

It boosts long range wireless ability, an interface of 2.4 GHz or up to 10 meters away. Battery life for the mouse is 5 months according to product description - I purchased this product in February of this year, it’s been 7 months and it’s still working possibly because I only use the PC for about 2 days a week for 2 to 4 hours each time. Although I noticed that the red light sensor of the mouse died the other day, I removed and replaced same battery and the mouse was working again. Maybe it’s time to replace the battery on the mouse. Battery life for the keyboard is 15 months, that’s impressive! I’ll find out in 8 more months if it holds up to its promise.

The keyboard is full-sized similar to a regular wired keyboard but lighter and more comfortable to use - how light? Less than 2 lbs. The keys on the keyboard are similar to laptop keys - low, soft to tap and very responsive to touch. I like the slightly rounded edges/corners of the keyboard because my old wired keyboard has a square corner and I always end up hurting my forearms while working. The mouse is lighter and slightly smaller than a regular wired mouse - it’s also great for my injured wrist. The mouse is sensitive enough, has accurate cursor control and works on almost any surface except glass. The roller/cursor located in the middle of the mouse works perfectly and I have no problem scrolling up or down using that feature.

The Logitech MK320 Wireless Desktop Mouse and Keyboard has a matte black and silver color combination. The design is simple and sleek. The letters are clear enough to read, it features one touch hot-keys***, volume control and wireless receiver snaps onto the mouse making it easier to carry around if you fancy using it with your laptop. The keyboard has no light indicator that it is on ON mode, it also does not indicate if CAPS lock or NUM lock is on until you start tapping the keys and see the result. The mouse however, has a red light sensor at the bottom and a light green light (green light means it’s ON) visible through the slit on top view. The keyboard is easy to dust or clean with dry micro fiber cloths.

Durability.

I dropped the mouse accidentally on our tiled floor (basement) while I was cleaning; it made a clunky noise and I thought I damaged it. It’s still working and has no visible scratches. I have no such incident with the keyboard. It seems to be made of durable plastic, it looks and feels solid.

Compatibility (An excerpt from Walmart.com)

What's in the box?

* Keyboard
* Mouse
* USB receiver
* 2 AA (keyboard) and 1 AAA (mouse) batteries (pre-installed)
* User documentation
* 3-year limited hardware warranty

Works with:

* Windows-based PC: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
* Available USB port

Go for months without changing batteries—up to 15 months for the keyboard* and up to five for the mouse**

* Battery life based on a calculation of an estimated 2 million keystrokes per year in an office environment. User experience may vary.
** Battery life may vary based on user and computing conditions.
*** One-touch hot keys that let you quickly access music, email, games, videos, and more.

Wal-mart sells these for $31.14 on their website but it can be purchased for less on other website, prices obviously vary.

~~~This 40th review is dedicated to the very first person who trusted me, Ms. Erica AKA sojournseeker.  Thank you. :)