Whirlpool WFW94HEX Front Load Washer...Trying Another High Efficiency Washer, Our Fourth!

Sep 27, 2012 (Updated Sep 27, 2012)

Pros:Clothes smell good and come out fairly dry after a good spin.

Cons:Takes much too much time to do a wash

The Bottom Line: We're starting to get used to this High Efficiency front-load washing machine. It seems to wash well and use less water. Time will tell. I'll update as time moves on.

Yes, it's true, this is our fourth High Efficiency washer in two months time! Though the jury is still out on this one, we have high hopes we finally have a machine that will actually clean our clothes and it should, it's near double the price we were paying for the other machines!

Whirlpool WFW94HEX Front Load Washer

This is an electronic run, High Efficiency front load washing machine that is said to be heavy duty and has extra loading capacity.

In looking up this machine on the Whirlpool web site I read, Whirlpool WFW94HEX ENERGY STAR Qualified Duet 4.3 cu. ft. Capacity I.E.C. Equivalent Front Load Washer, 10 Automatic Cycles, 6th Sense Technology, LED Display

Wash up to 20 pairs of jeans.* Dry a comforter. With a 4.3 cu. ft. capacity washer

The machine was said, by the salesperson, that it is designed for heavy duty cleaning and has a large capacity 4.3 Cu. Ft, Stainless Steel Wash Basket. It's ENERGY STAR® Qualified and CEE Tier III Qualified with a 1,400 RPM Maximum Spin Speed Direct Inject Wash System.

This washer has 10 Automatic Cycles. I believe they add the extra soak, deep clean and rinse cycles to come to that number. The cycles I know of are listed as
Clean Washer Cycle with Affresh®
Delicate Cycle
Normal/Casual Cycle
Quick Wash Cycle
Bulky Items Cycle
Whitest Whites Cycle
Allergen Cycle
Also noted are these facts On/Off Extra Rinse Option Cradle Clean™ Technology Automatic Water Level Control 5 Temperature Settings Add-A-Garment Indicator Light Estimated Time Remaining Display LED Display EcoBoost Option NSF Certified Sanitize Temperature Deep Clean Option FanFresh Option for up to 16 Hours.

There are more features that will be further discussed as I continue.

mom and pops Experience

The delivery guys came to install this washing machine. They also removed the one that was being returned to the store because it just didn't clean the clothes and half the time the clothes came out soaking wet. The guys noted the big difference in weight between this machine and the one they took out. At least, I noted to myself, we got more weight for our money that we could get back at the scrap yard.  I should not have been so pessimistic.

Once set up and leveled they checked for leaks and were off. It was experimenting time. First it was getting used the series of labels and buttons on the front face of the machine. That I like. No leaning to the back and everything is a push of a button that actually have a decent feel to them. It feels like more than playing with a toy.

You read and decide what cycle you want and then press the button. On a heavy load it automatically comes up with a time figure. If I decide I want to deep soak the wash I press that additional button. That automatically adds more time. If I decide I would also like a second rinse, I press that button and it then adds more time adding up to over two hours!! My old washers, that used more water and had more "fill" time, never took that long to do a pre-wash and second rinse. Yikes!

Most washes however take about an hour to be finished. That is still longer than the forty-five minute or so start to finish washes in machines of old, Like two months ago.  As the machine goes through its cycles, the timer counts down.

A Little Spin this Way and a Little Spin That Way

After setting the buttons for the load the machine makes some noises and then rotates a bit, stops, rotates again, stops, and continues again. It was then I realized the machine is adding soap to the wash in specific amounts and at different parts of the wash load.

This machine has a large liquid soap dispenser and other smaller ones for additives. I just pour the soap in and it is now ready for up to 12 washes! I don't have to measure every time. I just add once and the machine takes care of the rest using the cycles I chose as information.

Once the soap is dispensed the machine continues with slow spins this way and that with not much water visible. There's no sudsy water dancing in the window as the clothes go round and round. The machine is very quiet, very! ...and uses far less water than machines of old. That said, we aren't sure these machines are getting all the dirt out and then the soap too. It seems that there's not much water in there because, there isn't!

My wife had purchased the specific type High Efficiency soap that is recommended for this type of machine. The price was about the same as her usual brands. Hopefully, and it seems to be true, we are using less soap.  At the same time it seems that some of the soap is staying in the clothes. The wash smells nicer but one day when my wife added a second rinse after the wash was finished, she noted lots of suds in the machine. No further soap was added so that soap must have been in the clothes.

pops Last Word

My wife likes the smell of the soap in the fabric that comes out of the wash. She also likes that the slower action of the machine and not having an agitator should make this machine much more gently on our clothes. We are hoping that the machine is truly going a better job than the last machines. Looking at my washes, I think we are OK, except for the soap still in the clothes.

The jury is still out on this machine. I will be updating this review as we continue to monitor and experience this Whirlpool WFW94HEX  front-loader, high efficiency, washing machine.