Fiskars 9257 6-Inch PowerTooth Sliding Pruning Saw with Carabiner Clip

Dec 4, 2012

Pros:lightweight, durable, sharp, easy to use, reasonable price

Cons:You have to retighten the blade clamp at times.

The Bottom Line: Sharp, easy to use, lightweight, and a good price.  A good choice.

My wife gave me the Fiskars 9257 6-Inch PowerTooth Sliding Pruning Saw with Carabiner Clip as a gift a couple of years ago. It has performed well and is a handy addition to the tool box.

The saw is really simple. The blade is a slightly curved 6” pruning blade. The handle is a fiberglass composite, making the tool very lightweight yet fairly sturdy. On the side of the handle is a knob that you turn to tighten/loosen the blade. Once it’s loose, pull it out to its full length and then tighten once again.

Being a hand tool, this is obviously used for smaller branches/limbs. The largest that I’ve cut with it is a six inch locust. While I wouldn’t recommend this, the saw cut through it with no problem (I wish I could say that for my stamina!). The teeth are designed to cut on both the push/pull stroke. As long as you stick to a reasonable size branch (2” or less), you’ll not really notice a big difference.

The saw comes with a built-in carabiner clip on the handle. Honestly, I thought that I would use this a lot more than I have. When I’m out working, I just lay the saw down. It seems to be a lot quicker than clipping and unclipping the handle. Perhaps if you’re planning on working on a ladder, you might use it a little more. Still, for me, this is just an unused extra.

As far as durability, it’s withstood a lot of wear and tear. My boys like to use this saw when they’re helping me clear brush because it’s small and lightweight. I did have one tooth get broken off of the saw when one of my sons was using it like an axe instead of a saw. Even though, it still cuts well.

The only negative that I've noticed is that the knob which tightens/locks the blade into place sometimes works loose, especially if I'm sawing a bigger piece of wood.  It's not a big deal, just retighten.

You should be able to get one of these in the $12.00-$15.00 range. If you’re going to be doing any pruning around the house, you might want to give this one a try.

As with any pruning saw, it’s a good idea to wear gloves and safety glasses. The saw will produce a lot of sawdust, and many times you’re reaching up over your head to cut.