A Good Beginner SLR

Dec 16, 2012

Pros:Easy to use for beginners. Manuals guide you. Auto mode works great.

Cons:Night portraits are not easily taken unless user is aware of how to use settings.

The Bottom Line: I recommend this camera as an entry level DSLR.  It's easy to use and has many features that allows the enthusiast to learn about capturing digital photos while be guided.

I have owned this camera for 1 1/2 years.  I find it great for portrait, candid and landscape shots but, it is bulky; manageable but great for the basics. Not ideal for long day usage due to weight on neck. You'll always need a bag to carry the body and additional lenses you may use. While the camera has great features, the need to change lenses for different types of photos slows down a "capture the moment" feeling. The body style makes it very easy to switch lenses AND to be able to clean/air dust inside.  An amateur photographer, or a beginner would find this entry level SLR a bonus to their skills.  Figuring out the settings for manual and aperture mode would require use of watching the provided DVD, however, AUTO mode works great and will allow for plenty of adjustments in editing mode. Not too many dials to complicate a beginner.  Easy ability to set up an external light flash on the shoe of the body; one for all different sizes.  Ability to turn on vibration control and more. Body allows for a good size screen to view photos as soon as they are taken, in order to change settings, ability to shoot continuous frames, change shutter speed and set timer and exposure by an easily accessbible slide of a knob and/or button.  Strap brackets allow you to remove strap easily if, like myself, straps get in your way for quick portrait snaps. Body also allows for ability to set up to a tripod by an easy manuever  underneath.