Whirlpool ED5FVGXWS (25.1 cu. ft.) Refrigerator Review

Dec 27, 2012

Pros:Reasonable cost, very temperature stable, fairly attractive.

Cons:
Ice dispenser extremely noisy

The Bottom Line: It is functional, and has served us well, other than the ice dispenser that wakes the dead, it is a good refrigerator.

We were in need of a replacement refrigerator and shopped for something with an ice maker, a stainless steel look, and, most importantly, would fit into our space in our old house.  We decided upon this model.

Specifications:

Cutout Width: 36 Inches
Cutout Depth: 33 3/4 Inches
Cutout Height: 70 1/4 Inches
Width: 35 1/2 Inches **
Depth with Door Open 90 Degrees: 49 7/8 Inches
Height To Top Of Cabinet: 68 7/8 Inches
Freezer Capacity: 9.9 Cu. Ft.
Refrigerator Capacity: 15.2 Cu. Ft.
Total Capacity: 25.1 Cu. Ft.
ENERGY STAR(R) Qualified
Ice maker and water dispenser

Installation:

We had it delivered.  It fit in our doorway with the doors removed.  We have a 1960's construction house, and we were really worried.  They got it in with just enought room to fit.  The water line connected quickly, and would have worked with our old water line fittings; but I opted to install a whole new water line.
**  We went to slide it into our old spot, which measured with the width of the new fridge.... guess what?  The fridge was too large!!  I had to cut about 1/2 inch off our countertop to get it to fit.  I would say their published specifications are off!

Starting operation:

Once installed, we turned it on and loaded it up.  While it said to give it 24 hours to come to temp, once full it temped out fine within an hour.  Middle settings as recommended work fine.  Probably being full, it came to temperature faster.

Priming the water dispenser was time consuming.  We were required to run 20 gallons through the water dispenser to clear the protective chemicals from the water lines, and prepare the filter.  Also, the first two loads of ice had to be discarded.

After about 2-3 hours, a crash of the first load of ice hit the ice pan.  Rather loud.  It got better as the ice pan got more full.

Continuing operation:

The refrigerator hums along nicely.  The air vents are rather small; but in a modern age of efficiency, it cools perfectly.  The compressor operation is quiet.

The ice maker announces a new batch with a nice loud crash.  This quiets a lot as the bin fills.  When it needs the water, you notice it.  Not overwhelmingly noisy; but more so than our old fridge.

The Ice dispenser!   It uses a mechanical corkscrew type device to noisily manhandle the ice to the dispenser.  It sounds as if it will rip the guts out ouf the unit.  This is on cube ice.  For crushed ice, you enter a new experience in terror!  We rarely use crushed ice out of total fear of destroying something.  So far, it still lives.

Capacity:  Well, it seems to hold less than our aincient over and under fridge.  We were limited in space and budget, so we cannot complain.

Reliability:  No problems in a year of operation.  The ice dispenser has not tore itself up yet.

The water filter costs $45 which, I suppose, as a consolation, is easy to replace.

Final thoughts:

Well, it isn't real stainless, it holds our magnets well.  So what, it matches our other appliances fine.  I wish it held more stuff; but again, for our limited space, it does fine.  It is more energy efficient; but our old fridge is outside as extra storage (we always had a spare fridge, we just recycle the oldest) so we cannot determine energy savings.  I like everything except to the horror show of the ice dispenser.  I consider it fine for the cost.  The temperature is very stable, and compensates very quickly for staying open when the kids forage in the fridge. I will recommend it; but won't call it the greatest.