HomeCars & MotorsportsCars

Reviewed by 51 Epinions users

Handling And Control:

mountainhigh is an Advisor on Epinions in Home and Garden

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 50

View all reviews by mountainhigh

1999 Chevy Tahoe 4-Wheel Drive

by mountainhigh:      May 7, 2002 - Updated Sep 29, 2002

Pros: Cushiony Ride, Easy to Maneuver, Good Outdoor View for all Inside Passengers
Cons: Nothing
The Bottom Line: I highly recommend the 1999 Chevy Tahoe especially for those who want or need a large 4-wheel drive SUV with an extremely comforting ride.

We bought our 2-door 4-wheel drive 1999 Chevy Tahoe new in July of 1999. It currently has 15,000 miles on it. If you are researching for a used sport utility vehicle, I am sure you are wanting to find out about the reliability, repairs, gas mileage, and what you can expect for overall performance from buying a used 1999 Chevy Tahoe.

The Chevy Tahoe was formally called the Chevy Blazer, however, there were two versions of the Chevy Blazer, more commonly referred to as the "Big Chevy Blazer" and the "Little Chevy Blazer" or the "S10 Chevy Blazer". We traded in our "Big 1994 Chevy Blazer" for the Tahoe. 1999 was the last year that Chevrolet made the 2-door model of the Chevy Tahoe.

Features Ours Has

Automatic transmission
Vortec 8 cylinder 5.7 liter engine (tune-ups at 100,000 miles)
Autotrac 4x4 transfer case (pushbuttons on the dashboard)
Air conditioning
Driver and passenger air bag
AM/FM stereo with CD player, cassette player and 4 speakers
30-gallon fuel tank
Front tow recovery hooks (very useful)
Four wheel anti-lock brakes
LS trim consisting of: tilt steering wheel, cruise control, power windows and door locks
Driver's seat 6-way power adjuster
Heated outside mirrors
Rear defroster and wiper
Luggage carrier
Remote keyless entry with alarm
Overhead console consisting of LED outside temperature display and directional heading
Towing package

Performance

The 1999 Chevy Tahoe drives and rides smoother than a car. The Tahoe is the preferred SUV for my husband in our family of SUV's due to the roominess and the ever so cushiony ride. The turning radius is excellent in this vehicle, which makes it very easy to park, back-up and make u-turns. There are no blind spots in this vehicle.

The Tahoe's engine tows with no effort a 20 foot boat, yanks our other SUV's out of snow banked ditches like it was nothing and climbs steep terrain with effortless ease. Off road driving, the 1999 Chevy Tahoe just glides over bumps and potholes with its cushiony suspension. The steering is tight and it handles curvy roads easily and has never tried to tip over.

In the winter, our Tahoe gets equipped with our snowplow and chains and is only used to plow our 1 mile long driveway which is why our mileage is so low on it.

The Tahoe uses regular unleaded fuel and averages about 16 mpg in city driving and about 19 mpg on the highway.

Repairs

Absolutely nothing has had to be repaired on this vehicle.

Final Impression

Our family really loves our Tahoe, especially my spoiled husband, for its comfort for long trips, the all around viewing area for all passengers, and its cushiony rides on off roads. The rear seat folds down to make a large cargo area. We have never regretted buying this vehicle.

Be sure to check out my other SUV reviews by clicking on "More Reviews by Mountainhigh" which will take you to my profile page where you will find a scroll down menu bar titled "My SUV Reviews".

Thanks for reading my review and I hope you have found this helpful in your decision-making.

Amount Paid (US$): 30,700