One of the best in the world!

Jan 31, 2001 (Updated Jan 31, 2001)

Pros:Beautifully written!

Cons:Too much details.

The Bottom Line: ‘Christmas Carol’ is a good book and is worth having a copy on your shelf!

‘Christmas Carol’ is one of the greatest novels on Christmas ever written. In this book Charles Dickens introduced one of the timeless characters of literature-Scrooge.

Scrooge is the main character of the book. Its around him and his attitude towards Christmas that the whole book is on. According to him ‘Every idiot who goes about “Merry Christmas” on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding’. Then suddenly on the Christmas Eve ghosts visit him at night, and when Scrooge gets up in the morning he is transformed into a new man.

People say that ‘Christmas Carol’ was written for children. Maybe it is, but when I first read it in standard five I found it rather dull. I don’t think the descriptive writing and the tough language will appeal to children. However, a bit matured readers will find immense pleasure reading ‘Christmas Carol’. Please don’t get the idea that ‘Christmas Carol’ is a book on ghosts or any of such fantasies, rather it’s a book on the life of Scrooge. Why he was so miserable? Was he always like that? How he became like that?