Graco Backless TurboBooster Booster Seat

Graco Backless TurboBooster Booster Seat

ratings (8 Epinions reviews)

Say no to numb butts! Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491

Nov 8, 2002 (Updated Nov 8, 2002)

Pros:Comfortable, Attractive, Inexpensive

Cons:NONE

The Bottom Line: I strongly recommend the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 and feel that it is the most comfortable backless booster currently available.

I am one of ‘those’ people that when I have attempted several products and finally find an item that is 'five star’ quality, I really really like to share about it! Believe it or not, years after giving birth to my first child and several car seats later… I still become excited over such a thing as finding an acceptable car seat. Thinking back at all of the has been car seats & boosters that we’ve owned I am thankful that we didn’t have to bury them with a tombstone, because we would have a back yard full of them.

Seriously… the hunt for an acceptable booster was exasperating. Pathetic as it may appear to some, I wasn’t going to accept substandard quality or insist that my child make do with an uncomfortable ride. Finally the car seat industry took note of parental suggestion to provide a booster seat that children will actually sit their royal behinds onto without 1001 complaints. Jeez, us adults speak out with regard to uncomfortable vehicle seating, so is it much different to listen up to the young consumer?

For those of you that desire the short version let me summarize by saying that I feel the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 is the most comfortable backless booster car seat currently available. And… it cost me an inexpensive $20! The extra padding in the buttock target point allows for ride enduring comfort. Comfort factors aside, this seat meets/exceeds Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standard 213. In addition this seat looks sporty, has removable-deluxe-machine washable seat padding, and offers two retractable cup holders. This booster car seat is intended for children from 4-10 years old and 40 to 100 pounds.

Why another seat?
When we met luck – AKA a booster car seat that didn’t heed 1001 complaints - via the Graco - TurboBooster car seat with deluxe pad 8496, I began a quest to replace our existing stock. During a recent shopping trip at our local WalMart I discovered the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491. Needless to say I purchased one (remember… it is only $20.). This booster is essentially the base portion of the Graco - TurboBooster car seat with deluxe pad 8496. The booster that I purchased is black with royal blue and a smidgen of gray trim, and the seat is available in two additional color combinations. The fabric coloring is attractive, and sporty… or in child terms its COOL.

According to the salesperson, these boosters are selling quickly (she had purchased two herself). We entered into a car seat discussion with regard to coordinating a car seat clinic and extending education to the local public about booster seat need.

Considering that we already owned the Graco - TurboBooster car seat with deluxe pad 8496, I knew that we would be pleased with the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491. This booster doesn’t use the term ‘deluxe pad’ in the title, but rest assured it has deluxe padding. Trust me… my daughter has tried it! I strongly recommend the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 and feel it is a worthy investment. There are major differences between this seat and previous boosters that we have purchased. The biggie for us is that our daughter doesn’t complain with regard to using it or the Graco - TurboBooster car seat with deluxe pad 8496. Clearly Graco has introduced remarkable booster seat options via the TurboBooster™ line! Overall the entire family is pleased.

Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491
Main Features
Expanded range of weight guidelines (40 to 100 pounds)
Two Retractable cup holders
Padded arm rests with two height adjustments
Deluxe seat padding (removable for machine washing)
Includes Shoulder belt positioning clip
Meets or exceeds the Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standard 213

Recommended Age / Weight / Height
For children from 4-10 years old and 40 to 100 pounds
Height between 40 and 57 inches.
Lap belt must be placed low on childs hips.
Top of childs ears MUST NOT be above top of vehicle seat and/or head rest.
THIS BOOSTER MAY ONLY BE USED WITH A LAP/SHOULDER BELT SYSTEM
THIS BOOSTER MUST BE FORWARD FACING
THIS BOOSTER ISN’T INTENDED FOR AIRLINE USE
**** Graco firmly warns that “ONLY A LAP/SHOULDER BELT SYSTEM” can be used with this system. You cannot safely use a lap-only belt, a Lap Belt with Motorized Shoulder Belt, nor a Lap or Shoulder Belt Mounted on Door. ****

Fabric Choices
Rugby (Black w/Royal Blue)
Socrates (Black w/Gray)
Cricket (Royal Blue w/Gray)

Minor Assembly Required
Tool required: Philips screwdriver
Base
Left / right armrests
Armrest covers
Height adjustment screw (2)
Shoulder belt-positioning clip

Some assembly is required. You will snap the armrests into the booster seat base, next you select the desired armrest height and put in/tighten the screws with a Philips screwdriver. You can readjust the armrests later by removing the screw, pressing a button, repositioning armrest, and reinstalling screw. You will now attach the Shoulder belt-positioning clip. Your seat is ready to be used as a backless booster seat. Instructions are included and simple to follow.

Vehicles We Frequently Use
2001 - Dodge Stratus
1999 - Dodge Dakota Club Cab
This booster car seat works remarkably well in our main vehicles. The included Shoulder belt positioning clip allows the vehicle shoulder portion of the LAP/SHOULDER BELT SYSTEM to be properly placed on our daughters shoulder. The lap portion of the LAP/SHOULDER BELT SYSTEM is guided via the seat, and sits properly on her hip region.

Additional Information and Closing Thoughts
Although our youngest daughter is 7, she doesn’t weigh 60 pounds, thus putting her within the bracket of mandated booster seat use within Washington State*. Further her pediatrician provides a brochure that states, “Doctors and safety experts recommend that children ride in booster seats until the lap and shoulder belt fit right, usually when they are at least 4'9" tall, or around 8 years old or 80 pounds.” Regardless of the mandate or physician recommendation, I would still request that she use a booster. During the various first aid classes that I have taken, paramedics have shared photos and stories with regard to passenger injury. Obviously I wouldn’t keep my children home, but travel needs to be as safe as possible.
*“Between 4 - 6 years old or 40 - 60 pounds: a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt.”

The challenge for me as a parent is that the booster seats often weren’t very comfortable. Considering that our youngest daughter is on a competition dance troupe – requiring out-of-town excursions – length of passenger time mandates comfort. I honestly don’t blame her for complaining about some of the previous booster seats; there is no way I would want to travel while seating on them! In actuality I believe her occasional claim of a numb butt… but thankfully I found a solution.

Graco introduced the TurboBooster car seat with deluxe pad 8496. The retail store that I originally seen this seat at had the fabric removed from one of the side-impact wings. This allowed clear viewing of the E.P.S., energy absorbing foam. But the big factor of satisfaction arrived from the comfort proclaimed from our daughter. Because the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 is essentially the 8496 without the back portion option, I was certain that this booster would meet with approval, and it has.

The Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 is simplistic to install into our vehicles. One of our favorite ‘convenience’ features are the two Retractable cup holders. Frequently Marisa has private dance lessons directly after school. Her Father picks her up and has a snack in the right cup holder and a bottled water in the other. These have also worked well for on-the-go fast food stops, usually fries in the left holder and ice water in the right (she drinks only water, by choice). When not in use, these cup holders are simple to retract. My daughter adores the Padded arm rests that the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 is equipped with. Who can blame her? After all children prefer to ride in comfort too!

I like the attention to safety detail and the features of this booster. Another attribute is that the Deluxe seat pad is removable for machine washing. Although this hasn’t yet been a need, I am certain it will do fine. Considering that carsickness sometimes occurs, we might have to use this feature. Overall we are very pleased with the Graco Backless TurboBooster™ car seat 8491 and recommend it to other booster seat consumers.

Additional Information
Child Passenger Safety
Child Seat Inspection Sites
Recall Information
Match Your Child’s Size to Car Seat
Washington State
www.boosterseat.org

Happy and Safe Traveling!