Ryder Systems

Ryder Systems

ratings (86 Epinions reviews)

Couldn't have made it easier!

Nov 16, 2002 (Updated Nov 17, 2002)

• Customer Service Experience:

Pros:Truck availability, price

Cons:More expensive accessories

The Bottom Line: Budget/Ryder trucks were nice, and priced right. Picking up and dropping off the truck was relatively stress free.

I recently had to complete a cross country move due to a new job. Since the emerging trend among companies is to not pay relocation for new employees, but have them relocate themselves, I had to rent a truck. I have used UHaul in the past for trailer rentals, but due to the volume of stuff I had, I needed to rent a truck. In the area where I lived I had 2 choices. Budget (formerly Ryder) or UHaul.

Reservations with UHaul are relatively straight forward and simple, and you can complete them online. There you can shop for prices before you rent (this is not a UHaul review, but this is relevant). The Budget website, however, does not provide prices. You must call them. After determining what my prices were with UHaul, I decided to give Ryder a call. The consumer truck rental portion of Ryder has recently merged with Budget car rental, so now Budget is the rental company. The price that Budget quoted was higher than that of UHaul, but since truck rental is a competitive business, I asked if Budget would beat UHaul's price, and sure enough they did. By a considerable amount in fact, due to the way I negotiated it (which I won't reveal). Since the prices were better, and they promised newer equipment (as opposed to UHaul), I reserved a truck over the phone. I found out where I had to pick it up, and visited the place to see an example truck beforehand. The rental person explained the details of the rental (truck arrives full of fuel, it must be returned full of fuel, rental for 7 days due to distance (1700 miles), and explained my mileage allowance (1990 miles).

When move day came, I went to the Budget location, and there was my truck. New, as promised. It was even running so that it was warm for the drive (since it was 30 degrees out). Although I had the truck, I didn't have a dolly or the furniture pads needed. I forgot to reserve those in advance. In order to get those, I went to the local UHaul place (next door to the Budget place), and picked up those items. The pads and dolly were actually cheaper to rent from UHaul than they were from Budget ($10/dozen vs. $17/dozen on the pads, $10 vs. $7 for the dolly). As I waited to rent the pads, customer after customer came in to rent a truck from UHaul. They had reserved the trucks, but they weren't there at the rental place. People had to drive 30 miles away to pick up their UHaul trucks. Luckily, I avoided the very stressful part of locating the equipment and getting it on time by renting from Budget.

The move itself was very uneventful. The truck drove great! Absolutely no problems. When I was finished, I took it to the Budget location near my destination, and they checked it in. No hassles, no hidden charges, no trouble. It was very easy and stress free.

I will definitely use Budget in the future!

Punctuality: Showed up on time