Bon appetit!

Feb 6, 2001

Pros:The work of a genius.

Cons:Too short!

The Bottom Line: A grand piece of work from one of jazz greatest female singers.

This is the most tasteful album in modern pop-jazz ever. Joni Mitchell is a very talented singer, and this album is the best proof ever. This album is a tribute to the late Charles Mingus, a jazz legend. While there are none of his songs featured in it, this album is a collection of very poetic songs dedicated to the artist. And what better than to use another legend to honour one that has passed away. This album features no one other than Jaco Pastorius, the world's greatest bass player (now also deceased).

Most songs consist of nothing other than the vocals backed by light gitars and bass and a light electric piano here and there, by no other than Herbie Hancock, and that sounds oh so nice! The blend is perfect, and you can just sit down and relax while listening to her sweet little voice. God Must Be a Boogie Man features work from the genius himself, Jaco Pastorius. A Chair In The Sky sounds like sweet lullaby.

By far my favorite song in the album is The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines which is arranged by Jaco Pastorius. This is the only fast moving song in the whole album and it is very unique with a nice punch. Connaisseurs will recognise the upbeat melody and powerful horns similar to Jaco's Liberty City. The lyrics to this song are funny and light-hearted.

A very nice tribute to a great person. I particularly like what it is written in the CD's inner leaflet: "Charles Mingus, a musical mystic, died in Mexico, January 5, 1979, at the age of 56. He was cremated the next day. That same day 56 sperm whales beached themselves on the Mexican coastline and were removed by fire. These are the coincidences that thrill my imagination". Not a bad piece of writing and thinking from a musician. I'd be honored if it were for me!