UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint, 1 Gal.

UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint, 1 Gal.

8 consumer reviews

UGL Drylok Masonry Waterproofing Paint Sold Our House

Dec 29, 2002

Pros:works, works, works, works!

Cons:oil base takes longer to dry and is harder to clean up

The Bottom Line: This stuff works, and it even sealed a 75-year old stone basement (not listed on the label). What more can you ask?

Guess what sold our 75-year old "twin" home two years ago. A savvy real estate agent? Tasteful decorating? Curb appeal? Freshly-made blueberry pie cooling on the counter? A newly finished third floor family room/office?

Maybe in part. But only about 25% all together. The rest was UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint. Without it, our basement would have offered the beginnings of a mighty interesting indoor pool complete with submersible work bench and floating Rubbermaid storage containers to act as in-pool hors'deouvres butlers.

Claims and Information To Offer Hope for Your Basement or Needing-To-Be-Sealed Spot

According to the manufacturer's website, here's what UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint is, can do and will be for you:

DRYLOKŪ Masonry Waterproofer is formulated for waterproofing all interior, exterior, above or below grade masonry walls, cinder and concrete blocks, stucco, brick, retaining walls, basements, concrete swimming pools and foundations. No pre-mixing or pre-wetting necessary.

~ A masonry Waterproofing paint
~ Ready-mixed - tintable
~ Use indoors and out, above or below grade
~ Contains synthetic rubber and Portland cement
~ Withstands water pressure up to four pounds per square inch behind walls
~ Apply straight from the can - no pre-mixing or pre-wetting
~ Five year warranty
~ Performance confirms to Fed. Spec. TT-P-1411-A
~ Oil Base DRYLOKŪ Masonry Waterproofer is available in:

White
Gray
Beige
Blue

But, the color being reviewed here is white, or I'm off topic.

Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Gently Down in the Basement

The basement of our 75-year old home was of stone and mortar and then coated in plaster on the inside in some spots. In many places the plaster had crumbled, revealing the stone and mortar and rust spots from infiltrating water. Previous owners vowed that water only entered the basement during "torrential rainfalls." Evidently, "torrential" means "sprinkle" in their dictionary.

At almost every light misting by Mother Nature we found at least some dark spots running from the corners along the edges of the floor. During a real storm, water pooled in some areas of the basement and ran toward a floor drain ... and at these times we could see the patterns on the floor where rivulets and rivers flowed for years in this basement. But only during torrential downpours, of course.

Patching and sealing the basement was a "someday" job -- until Husband took an option to have a home office and we decided to move. Suddenly, patching and sealing the basement became an immediate need, as we knew it could affect the sale of our home.

Miracle on Walnut Street

After preparing the walls (roughly 15 by 43 feet and 6 feet high -- low basement!) by scraping, washing and patching them with a generic cement-patching compound, I got out the big paintbrush (for use with oil-based paint) to begin my masterpiece.

UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint goes on easily and smoothly, and by brushing in several directions you can work it into any cracks or ridges. You may see "bubbles" that alert you to pinholes where there are deeper spaces for the paint to penetrate, and you should brush over these areas a few times to ensure the best coverage.

As with any paint, you'll have fumes to deal with and proper ventilation of the work area should be a prime concern. Speaking of prime . . . you don't need to prime the surface, just be sure it is clean.

I found that UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint dried relatively quickly for an oil-based product and could touch it within a few hours. A second coat is recommended and will allow you to make sure that all pinholes are covered.

UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint may be applied with a brush or roller. I found a brush to be easier on rough walls since I could more easily work the paint into difficult areas.

The manufacturer notes that application by spraying works, too. I did not use this method, but the manufacturer's website does offer the necessary information for this application method. BUT, if pinholes persist, you'll still need to use a brush or roller.

Cleanup, as with any oil-based paint, requires the use of mineral spirits or paint thinner. I worked carefully and did not need to worry about spattering on the old basement floor. When finished with the first coat I wrapped the brush in plastic wrap and set it on top of the closed paint can for use on the second coat. After the second coat I wrapped the brush and threw it into the trash container, so I cannot detail the ease of clean-up.

In my experience, I prefer not to clean up oil-based paint and use disposable paint trays and "universal" brushes that are cheap enough to throw away, rather than spend the time and money on cleaning.

Wow! The Basement is DRY!

I enjoyed the fruits of my labor within two days of applying UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint. A really nice electrical storm (we enjoy watching lightning . . .) came through and poured almost an inch of rain on our area in a short time -- the basement remained dry.

I checked every 15 minutes or more -- usually more -- to make sure. I could hardly believe my eyes, especially after 6 years of living with the damp to wet conditions in that area of our home.

WHOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO! UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint WORKED!

We had only one pesky spot that still let in a few drops of water, but it had nothing to do with the water-proofing paint, but with a joint at an exterior door. UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint did its job.

SOLD

So, a week after applying the UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint to the basement (took one gallon to cover the 348 square feet with 2 coats, by the way), we had the "For Sale" sign in the yard and the parading of people through our house began.

After several potential buyers entered our domain we heard less about the color schemes or the open space and more about the amazingly dry basement. We smiled and nodded knowingly as if this wasn't new to us while inwardly, we did handsprings. In real life I can't even turn a cartwheel.

UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint, in effect, sold our house. And, come spring, we have a 150-year old stone foundation to work on, so we'll see if UGL Drylok White Oil Base Masonry Waterproofing Paint will work its wonders again. I have no doubt it will.