HomeCars & MotorsportsCars

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

Reviewed by 5 Epinions users

Chevy 2003 S10 LS 4x4 ZR2

by rbr28:      Jan 9, 2003 - Updated Mar 1, 2003

Pros: Ride, standard options, available options, appearance, reliability, value, V6, ABS, 4 wheel disc brakes
Cons: none
The Bottom Line: No better value in trucks. The last year this style will be available. Excellent reliability and solid engine. Great standard options and available options.

I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. I have owned several trucks in the past, all bought new, including various Dodge and Chevy trucks. I would never buy anything other than a GM truck again. Their value is unmatched, as is their reliability. The paint on every GM vehicle I have ever owned has held up much better than any Dodge or Ford truck, and I have lived in areas where rust is a huge problem (i.e. NY). The reliability is excellent, these trucks stand up to anything and the engines last forever. I bought this truck after trading in my 1998 4X2 S10. I loved my 98, but I really wanted more power, more traction, and the additional room of the extra cab. I hesitated because my 98 was such a good truck and I would have liked not having car payments, but the 2003 has exceeded every expectation. Even in 2 wheel drive, this truck gets infinitely better traction than my previous vehicle. The BF Goodrich tires that came standard on the ZR2 are the best tires I have ever had on a truck. Excellent traction in any conditions. The ride of the truck is awesome, even though it has a heavy duty off road suspension. It seems unreal that a truck so capable off road, can handle so well on the road also. The V6 engine has definitely been greatly improved over the years and is very smooth, relatively quiet, and very powerful, especially compared to the standard 4cyl. Gas mileage is a tradeoff, but in this truck the V6 just feels so much better. The appearance of the GM trucks have also always been a plus. Take a look at http://129.79.35.49/www/newtruck/newtruck.html I posted some high quality pictures of my truck, and I'll add more as I make some modifications.

I'm adding this comment after the truck has 1000 miles on it. If you test drive this truck new, don't be taken back by the performance of the transmission. When I first drove it, the transmissions seemed to drain a bit of power from the engine. It's hard to explain, but it seemed to hang before shifting. At 485 miles or so this started to go away (GM says the break in period is 500 miles). At 900 miles the truck drove completely differently. The transmission is smooth as can be now and the lag that it had initially is totally gone. I thought the way the transmission behaved was normal, but it definitely went through quite a drastic change during the break in, and it now shifts very nicely. Additionally I have had a chance to drive the truck under much more varied conditions and I can just reiterate that it's so much fun to drive. This is one of the only vehicles I have ever had that I just want to go out and drive all the time for no reason whatsoever. Ive driven it in a lot of snow and it's a blast. This truck gets traction in anything. I have gone out during a few of the major storms this year, just looking for people that were stranded. One thing I wish it did come with though is mud flaps. The oversize tires kick stuff up all alongside the vehicle and even right up over the top of it at times. I'm going to install mud flaps as soon as I can find a set that looks good.

Condition: New