Zinsser Qt Bullseye 123 Prim/sl

Zinsser Qt Bullseye 123 Prim/sl

ratings (10 Epinions reviews)

Zinsser scores a Bulls Eye ~ Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer

Feb 4, 2003
Review by Google+?rel=author" target="_blank">

Pros:it works great!

Cons:the smell

The Bottom Line: excellent primer that provides a wonderful surface for paint

Having three children still at home means toys, books, and stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Living in a small house, we’ve decided that we have to tackle the seemingly never-ending storage problem this winter. Being on a very tight and fixed budget, this has meant that we also have to recycle a lot of wood that most people would turn their noses up at. Not us though! My husband has an agreement with the crews at a nearby construction site whereby he can take whatever scraps they aren’t using for his projects. Two by tens, two by fours, plywood, particleboard in assorted sizes, we can use it all. He also found an old kitchen countertop up in the rafters of our garage. Now, with all these treasures, we decided that SoccerGirl’s tiny bedroom should be the first to benefit from our scavenging and woodworking talents.

Our first step was to look for a primer. Why use primer? Well, if there are marks, crayon marks, grease marks, water stains, ink, even some old paints, on the surface prior to painting, if you don’t use a primer/sealer, those marks can easily bleed through your nice shiny fresh coat of paint. That doesn’t sound so appealing does it? Also, if you’re painting on a porous surface, such as particle board, you’re going to have to do quite a few coats before you get a nice even coat of paint. That’s because that porous wood will just soak up the paint fast as can be, creating an uneven and unappealing paint job. You’ll also need to use a primer on any surface such as Formica or melamine in order for the paint to have a good surface to adhere to. So we needed a primer that was going to conceal all the marks on the construction site wood. Ink, marker, red stamps, covered many of the surfaces of this wood, and we didn’t want that bleeding through. We also wanted something that was going to coat the particleboard well, giving us a nice surface to paint on. Then we considered the problem of the kitchen countertop, which was going to become a desktop for SoccerGirl. Covered in a hideous shade of green formica, not at all suitable for her dreams of purples and pinks and butterflies décor, we had to find a way to conceal that and accomplish the task of creating a girly-girl room for our daughter. So off we went to Home Depot and searched the shelves for a primer that would do the trick. My husband decided on Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer.

Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer is a white pigmented water-based sealer. It is tintable, but that wasn’t a necessity in our case. Zinsser claims that this product combines fast-dry, stain-killing power with outstanding adhesion and chalk-binding ability. I have to agree with the fast-dry and stain-killing claims. It dried in an hour, making the job of painting the shelves and desktop that my husband built much faster than I had anticipated. It also covered all the marks, stamps, and assorted stains on the plywood and particle board very well, providing us with a nice clean surface for our paint. Zinsser also claims that this primer adheres well to glossy surfaces without sanding or deglossing. My husband had sanded down the countertop, but in his hurry he missed the sides and back. He claimed that those surfaces wouldn’t be seen so he didn’t bother with them. Well, in my opinion, they may not be seen but I’ll sure know they’re there, so I went ahead and covered them with the primer anyway. Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer covered the formica surface beautifully, adhered well, and once again provided me with a nice clean surface to apply my paint to. I was also quite surprised to see that I only required one coat of this primer on the particleboard shelves my husband had built. Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer coated that porous wood very well, and I had no problem with applying the high gloss latex paint that my daughter had chosen for her shelves after an hour of drying time.

To use Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer you of course should prepare the surface that you’ll be applying the primer to. Remove any old, peeling paint, clean the surface, remove mildew, rust, etc. You can use a brush, roller, pad or even spray this primer. I used both a brush and a roller, and it went on easily and evenly, giving the wood a nice smooth coat. Clean up is very easy; soap and warm water is all it takes. Do make sure you use Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer in a well-ventilated area. I found that the only con to this primer was the horrible smell. I found it to be a very strong ammonia smell, somewhat akin to a chicken farm. Yuck. But it worked, and it worked beautifully. The smell dissipated very quickly, so it really is only a temporary discomfort. I tend to react badly to paint and primer, getting headaches and sometimes even becoming nauseous from it. Although the smell of this primer was not at all appealing, I didn’t get the usual reactions that I normally get when painting, so it really isn’t all that bad. (But then, being a mom of four, I’m used to strong ammonia smells…think diapers. LOL) Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer gave me a great surface to paint on, the deep purple high-gloss paint and lilac trim on those shelves looks gorgeous, even and smooth, and the desktop looks fabulous with its lilac paint and deep purple trim. If you’re going to do a job like this you need to do it right, from the first step to the very final phases, and using Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Primer/Sealer/Stain-Killer was definitely the right first step!