Breadman Ultra Bread Machine TR700

Breadman Ultra Bread Machine TR700

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Do you know the Muffin Man?

Mar 1, 2003 (Updated Mar 1, 2003)

Pros:so easy the kids can use it; I love the smell of fresh baked bread

Cons:none really, I've had it for almost 6 years and have never had a problem

The Bottom Line: Easy to use, operate and clean. It fills my whole house with a warm, wonderful smell. Bread comes out great each time - a must have appliance.

Neither do I anymore. I think he use to live on Drury Lane or somewhere in that vicinity but thanks to my Breadman Ultra Bread Machine - Model TR700 I haven't had to visit him in almost 6 years.

Flashback to May 8, 1997 - my 4th wedding anniversary. A day filled with leisure, romantic interludes, and gift giving. Pardon me while I laugh, that's how I pictured it in my head - in reality it was a day filled with diaper changes, cooking meals, cleaning house, doctor visits, packing bags and sterilizing everything in sight - oh, did I fail to mention I was two days away from giving birth to my 4th child and was under strict orders from my husband not to give birth on our anniversary (ha ha ha - aren't spouses who can't give birth just so cute when it comes to saying things like that).

In a cruel twist of fate the 4th anniversary is the flower and appliance anniversary and when you're days away from delivering neither is really a good or appropriate to give. After a failed attempt to induce labor that resulted in me being sent home, my house was already filled to the brim with flower arrangements and bouquets and in a few days time I'd have a lot more.

My husband did his best and got me some tropical flowers I love - like Birds of Paradise. The flowers helped to lift my spirits, but on the other hand they were just something else to take care of, and my hands were already full with a 2, 3 and 8 year old.

After the flowers came big gift time - I was so excited - after days of opening gifts for the new baby it was my time to get something just for me. How quickly my bubble burst.

Now, I can tell you this any time a spouse gives his wife an appliance for their anniversary the ice they are skating on is gets very thin very fast, especially when that spouse is pregnant. It's like taking fate into your own hands when you hand a woman who is 9 months pregnant with a 9 lb baby a gift that says, "make me some bread."

Maybe he thought due to my cankles I couldn't chase him down and give him that hearty thank you smack. Hmmm, guess he forgot cankles didn't interfere with my ability to throw heavy objects.

I guess after the initial sarcastic shock of, "oh, a bread maker how thoughtful of you" wore off, I was kind of excited. I had been eyeing them for some time and was too cheap to get myself one. Being that this was 6 years ago, I don't recall what he paid for it - I know he got in a "bonus" box at Sears that contained a sandwich maker and a toaster, so lucky me, I got three appliances for the price of one. Lucky for him, he also had the forward thinking to get me some bread machine bread mixes from the market so I didn't have to go shopping that day.

So just what features does the Breadman Ultra Bread Machine TR700 and is it worth buying?

It has a one, one-and-a-half or two pound loaf capacity. With four kids I always make the 2-pound loaf and its gone in one meal. Most prepared bread mixes can be made in all three sizes and the box will tell you how to measure out ingredients. Bread recipe books will also tell you how to adjust measurements to go from the one to 2 pound loaf.

It has a 12 hours delay bake timer which is so easy to set, even I can do it and get it right. In fact it's so easy to do my then 8 year old could even set it. It's done on a digital timer and is very easy to operate. I love setting it the night before and waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread.

Note - the only thing that is tricky about using this machine is getting the ingredients in the pan correctly if you want to use the timer. You need to adjust the water temperature and dig a ditch in the flour so that water and yeast don't start mixing and activating the yeast too soon. If they do, it's not so big a deal; the bread might just be a bit doughy.

It has 10 bread settings and crust color choices - that way you pick if the crust if dark or light. The light crust setting works best in my house, as my kid's aren't big crust fans. Mixing and baking times with vary depending on the loaf size and crust choice you make - I'd say it averages between 2 to 3 hours per loaf.

Extra-large see-through window which is good as you shouldn't open the unit while it is mixing the bread or baking it. The window allows the kids to look in and check on the bread. A word of caution, the unit does get hot and you should always supervise children when it is on.

It has a fruit and nut add-in feature. You may need to add in items to your dough after it has been mixed and kneaded. The machine has a timer that goes off to let you know it is safe to open the lid and add items.

Non-stick loaf pan that is dishwasher safe. It can be tricky getting the mixing mechanism located at the bottom of the pan out of the bread, but once you master the technique, you're good to go. One loaf pan fits all three loaf sizes. Arrows show you how to place the pan in the unit and the attached handle helps you lift the pan out. You do need to be careful, that pan gets very hot and takes some time to cool off.

Overall I love this bread machine and don't have anything bad to say about it. I've had it for 6 years and have never had a problem with it and I use it 2 to 3 times a week. I have only ever had one had one bad loaf and that's because my oldest measured in too much water.

The unit is easy to operate and clean - a child can make bread in it with adult supervision. I find it compact and easy to store. The only slight problem I have with it is the top doesn't latch down, do it can be tempting for small children to walk by and want to open it - which could lead to fingers and other parts getting burned.

After all this time there may be much better brands/models out there, but I'm just fine with mine - which is saying a lot. Normally after 2 or 3 years I bore of my appliances and start looking for a replacement. That is not the case with this one, I'm perfectly happy with what I have - and considering my initial reaction that's pretty darn good. I've made bread mixes, bread from scratch and all types of dough in it and am always happy with the results.