I love playing games!

Feb 22, 2001

Popular Products in Toys
The Bottom Line Whether your game purchase is for an adult or a child, make sure you buy one that is fun and not too difficult to learn.

Being a family man, I always try to pick out games that are not only fun but ones with some educational value as well. When I say educational, I don't mean something that is going to bore my kids to tears but rather something that will help them in life when they're older.

A perfect example of this would be a game like Scrabble where you each get letters and try to form words from them with the winner being the one with the highest score at the end of the game. When we play this with the kids, we try to make it as simple as possible by posting words that they will know and not put up any words that will leave them scratching their heads. It makes them think and helps to improve their spelling but at the same time is enjoyable for them.

After the kids are fast asleep, you can play your own version of Scrabble by changing the rules a bit and using your imagination

Another game that is always popular with the kids is Yahtzee where you roll five dice and try to get various things like a full house, straights, 3 or 4 of a kind and, of course, Yahtzee which is 5 of a kind. The person with the most points at the end of the game is declared the winner. This is a very fun game for the whole family and helps kids with addition and numbers.

Before you go out and purchase a game, it's best to get some information on various games by researching them here at Epinions or searching for them on the internet. The last thing you want to do is to go and buy games at random because that may leave you with a shelf full of games that no one plays or even wants to.

If you're buying a game strictly for the kids, make sure it's fun and not too difficult to play like Chutes & Ladders, Candyland or Trouble; just to name a few. Most children get bored easily so if it's too hard to learn how to play, it'll sit on your shelf gathering dust.

If you're purchasing a game for adults then that makes it a little easier because most adults enjoy games with a challenge that are also fun. Now, I'm not talking about playing games like Twister in the nude although that could be pretty interesting but rather games like Trivial Pursuit or card games such as SkipBo or Uno.

The last thing to think about when getting a game at the store is whether you'll want to play it on the computer or not. Over 50% of games out on the market today can also be found on disk to be played on your computer. One game that everyone enjoys in our household but hates setting it up and taking it down is Monopoly. Still as fun as the regular version but no mess to clean up and you can save your game if you don't have time to finish it.

In short, games are supposed to be fun so no matter who you're buying it for, keep that in mind and never buy a game for someone that you wouldn't play or enjoy yourself; unless you know it'll appeal to them.

Member: Don... Berry
Location: Pittsfield, Mass.
About Me: Check out my homepage for making money - click the Moneymaker's Den link above!