iSi Soda Siphon, Brushed Aluminum iSi Soda Siphon, Brushed Aluminum

iSi Soda Siphon, Brushed Aluminum

1 consumer review

Tiny Bubbles, In My Water

Apr 15, 2003 (Updated Apr 15, 2003)

Pros:Makes bubbly water for roughly fifty cents per liter, or about a nickel per glass

Cons:Up front costs, CO2 costs

The Bottom Line: If you're fond of soda waters like Perrier, this might be an easy way to save a bit of money in the long run.

I like carbonated water in general, and I used to spend a bit of money on different sparkling waters like Perrier.

Now, I make my own carbonated water with an iSi Soda Siphon from Pop, the Soda Shop (http://www.popsoda.com).

For about $45, you get a one-liter bottle, siphon tube, valve, nozzle, and charging capsule. The assembly is very simple, and in fact I had to double-check the instructions because several of the parts were already in place where the instructions told me to perform certain actions.

The aluminum bottle contains a short plastic section that maintains a bubble of air inside the top of the bottle even when you think you've completely filled it. This is necessary to allow the gas from the CO2 (carbon dioxide) cartridge into the bottle with the water.

When you've filled the bottle, you put the siphon tube in, and screw on the top portion that includes the valve and charging inlet.

Once the bottle is sealed, a CO2 cartridge is placed inside the charging capsule, and the capsule is screwed onto the inlet, puncturing the tiny tank and flooding the bottle with compressed carbon dioxide.

Shake the bottle a few times to mix it thoroughly, remove the capsule, and put the protective cover over the charging inlet, and you're done.

We keep the seltzer bottle in the refrigerator, so we have a near-endless supply of carbonated water for mixing with orange juice, lemonade, other fruit juices, or just plain over ice. Just press the side-mounted lever, and carbonated water shoots out the nozzle, and hopefully into a glass...

It's a nice change from just plain water, and doesn't include the quantities of sugar and/or caffeine as the various sodas.

iSi makes this same bottle in black enamel, white enamel, and mirror-polished stainless steel. We got the brushed aluminum because it won't show fingerprints like the stainless, and we didn't want either black or white.