Comments on Perioral Dermatitis--Helpful Info" (30 total) View all
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Dread
by gjbella
So Ive had PD for about 3 years now. A few major flare ups and right now it's at it's absolute worst! Great right? Yeah my daughter gets married in 12 days. I so want it gone or at least subsided enough to hide it :(. I've had numerous medications all topical prescribed. Nothing is working. So I've tried acv and now yogurt/honey mask. I'm desperate and don't have time to order stuff online to help. Any other suggestions for the quick even temporary fix?
Ugly MOB
BC Canada

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Aug 26, 2012
7:01 pm PDT

Re: Getting Rid of PD Symptoms
by roxxi4jc
Reading your post was very helpful! I was just told yesterday by my Doctor that I have PD. It's around my mouth.
I know of a woman I met who has this and she is on a Candida type diet and her PD cleared up. She never changed her shampoo etc. Do you yourself get PD if you use regular shampoos etc??
I will change everthing if I have to, but I was wondering why you did? because of SLS?? If you do everthing right, but still use shampoos with SLS or ALS does your PD come back????
I'm overwhelmed by all this and would love to hear back from you on my questions. Here is my E-mail :). Thank you so very much!!!
roxxi50@aol.com
Jul 18, 2012
12:08 pm PDT

by roxxi4jc
Just read a post from trudytrudy, and it was very helpful! I'm going shopping tomorrow for the things I need for my face. I'm 53 years old and I just found out today that I have PD. I'm so confused as what to do after reading everyones post...Do I change my diet besides buying all natural skin care?? I'm depressed and overwhelmed. Do I take the Tetracycline the Doc gave me or not?
Do u know if taking the pills make it worse? I'm not sure where to begin.

I would love to know how long it stays cleared up by doing all the things people on here say to do?
I'm not sure what to eat or not to eat. Why does sugar and flour make PD worse? I'll do what it takes, but I just don't understand. I got PD after putting Vasoline on my face. Not sure if that was the cause, but it's the only thing I did different when it began....If anyone can help me, please E-mail me at roxxi50@aol.com
Thank you for any help and information!
Jul 17, 2012
9:22 pm PDT

by rbruce09

I am a 35 year old female who has been dealing with PD on and off for 14 years. It was so nice to come across this article and all of the responses posted. I will have to say that it was great to hear from others who deal with some of the same issues I have been dealing with. Topical antibiotics have always worked pretty well for me, although when I was younger I would do a series of Tetracycline treatments. In the last year I have started to try to live a healthier lifestyle. I had already eliminated SLS and flouride from our household, not knowing that could be a cause, but I wasn't aware that ACV and yogurt could help. I did want to let people know of a website that I have found that lists the ingredients in products you use and the effects they have on your body. It is a great resource for finding earth friendly, people friendly products. It is the environmental working group deep skin cosmetic database. I look at this site before buying anything. Good luck to everyone in their search for clear skin and a healthier life.
Jun 24, 2012
7:12 pm PDT

Re: Getting Rid of PD Symptoms
by createpink
I was curious to know your progress. Before seeing a dermatologist, I did research and thought I had Candida type symptoms as I switched to all organic lifestyle and the rash was detox. I eliminated all sugar and gluten and eating 7 or so servings of veggies a day. So when the rash came I figured it was detox. Dealt with it for 5 months and as it speed to my eyes I went to doc. I'm taking her diagnosis to a naturopathic doc in a month, but still wanted to know your results and tell you that I appreciated your post!
Jun 24, 2012
1:36 pm PDT

by sszaniszlo
how do you use the ACV ? i also have calendula .. i just the acv then after couple mins i put the calendula on let me know what you think please or anyother advice, your storry sounds a lot like mine if you could please email me @ sunnybabe011691@hotmail.com id reallyy appreciate it thanks!!!
Jun 2, 2012
12:06 pm PDT

help !
by sszaniszlo
i got acv today .. ive had PD for awhile now and do not know what to do. my derm has me taking morgidox for 4 weeks ive been doing it for over 2 weeks and do not really see any change i started the acv today and used it this morning i wil again today also and continue to 2 times a day hoping this works can anyone please let me know if the acv really helped them and if so can you give me yout routine of how you did it
Jun 1, 2012
2:44 pm PDT

by sszaniszlo
i know this may seem like a dumb question but the apple cider vin. you used you put it on the PD ? and where can you find this ? supermarket ? i have recently gone to the derm. and she gave me antibotics and ive been on them for over 2 weeks and it still looks terrible i got the california baby calendula cream about 3 days ago and so far i like it i go back to the derm in 2 weeks.. i dont know what to do anymore i hate this i never want to leave the house :( PLEASE HELP !!!
8:37 pm PDT

by sszaniszlo
i know this may seem like a dumb question but the apple cider vin. you used you put it on the PD ? and where can you find this ? supermarket ? i have recently gone to the derm. and she gave me antibotics and ive been on them for over 2 weeks and it still looks terrible i got the california baby calendula cream about 3 days ago and so far i like it i go back to the derm in 2 weeks.. i dont know what to do anymore i hate this i never want to leave the g
8:36 pm PDT

Oral Contraceptives Caused My PD
by trudytrudy
I have had this rash for about one month. It developed right after I took the Plan B One Step Morning After Pill. That pill, like all oral contraceptives, contains 'hormones' that are actually classified as a TOXIC pesticide. I believe that threw off my system and allowed the candida to take hold. I have read many places that a change in hormones can kick off PD, and no doubt that pill was too much for my body.
On the Earth Clinic website I found lots of helpful info that agrees with much of what I see here. I did go to the doctor, she said it was merely contact dermatitis and I could have some steroid cream if I want. No way. She also refused to refer me to a dermatologist, which may be a blessing. I began applying BRAGG RAW APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (with the mother). Over one week the rash looked a little better, a little worse... some people told me the Apple Cider Vinegar may be burning my face. But it had taken away the terrible ITCH stopped the rash in its tracks, so I kept it up. Everyone's skin is different, if the vinegar burns too much, dilute it. My skin likes 40/60 water/vinegar. At first it was making the skin awfully dry, and it took me a few days to think of breaking open a Vitamin E pill and applying the gel inside to the rash. The next morning was AMAZING. Pure Aloe, from the actual plant would work great too. Keep it simple! Lots and LOTS of water. I also am taking a probiotic, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B Complex. Eating lots of veggies. The rash cleared up after 1 week of using vinegar, and my skin looked better than ever after shedding all that dry flaky stuff.
But then I started drinking coffee again, and had a few beers with coworkers... a few burgers... and I noticed a patch on my skin getting itchy again. I now have round two of PD, but it is moving along more quickly than last time and located only on my chin whereas before it spread up my cheeks and onto the soft skin beneath my eye.
I am now taking my diet more seriously, and in a way almost feel thankful to have had this issue because I have learned SO much about the pharmecutical industry, when to trust doctors, and how you can use food to heal your body. The Apple Cider Vinegar is helping majorly, but my body needs more support. The vinegar (although it stings) is actually very gentle, so drinking a cup of coffee or having a few beers can neutralize its healing effect.

Here is a list of what helps me (so glad I did my own research):
Apple Cider Vinegar (BRAGG, raw)- applying 50/50 dilution to the rash topically and drinking 2 tsp. in 8 oz. or water with raw (Vermont) honey, as directed on the BRAGG bottle.

Vitamin E: I use roll-on pure oil (check ingredients... one bottle had 10. The capsules work great, just cut one open.

Calendula gel: Can't decide which is better, Vit E or Calendula... both seem to help, I'm using both.

Raw honey: Instead of face wash or soap I have been gently scrubbing with raw honey.

Baking soda and Apple Cider Vinegar for my hair: Use a little container to mix up baking soda with water and a few drops of tea tree oil if you have it. Rub the paste into your scalp. Rinse with a little bucket of roughly 1/10 apple cider vin/water. Hair feels amazing and offers piece of mind I'm not using unnecessary chemicals.

Baking soda/ Hydrogen Peroxide dental care. Use the same paste I use in my hair to brush my teeth. Never felt cleaner. Tom's of Maine (my usual) contains SLS. I rinse and gargle with the HP.

Taking a PROBIOTIC

Staying out of the sun

DRINKING WATER... nothing with sugar and no booze.

It is overwhelming... but the main things I found to work were Apple Cider Vin followed with a simple moistuizer like Vit E (reduces scarring) or Calendula. Think gentle and simple, and the stinging from the Ap. Cider Vin. is a good thing, it did not scar me. If it hurts too much add more water.
9:40 am PDT

Perioral Dermatitis Remedies Experience
by mary_gold

Just wanted to post my experience with Perioral Dermatitis and the following remedies: calendula cream, acidophilus pills, ridding fluoride and SLS, natural estrogen balancing pills, prescribed steroid cream.

At first I thought my Perioral Dermatitis was a small patch of acne around my mouth, while at the doctor I asked about the patch and she prescribed a steroid cream (one of the worst things to do). Unknowingly I applied as directed and long story short the PD SPREAD! What was once a small patch by my mouth soon enircled my entire mouth, went up around my nose, started patches on my forehead and at the outsides of my eyes. My doctor had said to apply the cream and see results in about 3 weeks, after 5 weeks I had full blown PD for the first time in my life. Didnt want to leave the house. Got very depressed. Started researching.

While waiting for my dermatologist referral I got to work on a solution. First thing I heard and did was try to rid fluoride and sodium laurel sulfate from my toothpaste, soap and shampoo. Second, I started taking acidophilus pills at least once a day. Third I started taking a pill which helps to balance womens hormones (since plastics and a horrrible environment are making our hormones go out of whack). Fourth, I searched for and eventually found a decent Calendula cream and started applying to my face.

Since I did a lot of these things at the same time, it was initially a bit hard to tell what was working. But its been about 6 months since my PD exploded, and I think the biggest help came from the Calendula cream. When I went to the dermatologist I had very little PD left to show, and I asked the doctor about Calendula cream. In a nutshell, this doc was an idiot. I was told that there was no medical evidence that calendula did anything, then I was prescribed yet another steroid cream which I was informed that I would probably have to apply FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! This dermatologist was WRONG. I did not fill the prescription, and have since cleared my PD within a few months with my own research and trials.

CALENDULA CREAM: may also be called Marigold, or calendula officianalis. I have no affiliation to these brands at all, but I tried AUBREY #6 sensitive skin cream and face wash which contains calendula and many other wonderful and natural ingredients, also initially used Earths Best Organic by Jason (this worked wonders but they have since changed the formula, be aware! ), recently used GLACIER moisturizing cream to spot treat since pretty much all of the PD has subsided (good consistency of cream, I recommend it). I have heard California Baby WAS once very effective but they too have changed their formula (always read ingredients when rebuying).

ESTROGEN BALANCING PILLS: the brand I took is called EstroSense, it is very natural, mostly natural extracts inside the pill. It is also supposed to help with mood swings and other side effects of wacky hormones.

In addition I read a lot of other threads about this subject since the whole ordeal was really upsetting, so thanks to everyone who has posted, there are so many people who suffer from this for years, so keep posting remedies and hopefully they can find something that works for them. I hope mine can help someone too. Just remember that its your body, your doctor may not know best, (for me, I didnt want to have to apply a cream for the rest of my life, or take a pill that was made up of chemicals) make your own decision and pick and choose from other people's remedies to find a formula that will work for you. Keep thinking that it will get better, just find the root of your problem.
May 6, 2012
6:49 pm PDT

Antiobiotics for this?? Reallly? $292 cream? Really?
by hcrteacher
Thank you for your information about PD. Just diagnosed formerly but have had this off and on...

I'm 40 year old female and think recent flare is hormonal and food (too much sugar/white flour).

Dr. wanted me on course of antibiotics for 10 days- I am opposed to antibiotics unless absolutely necessary for example if I had pneumonia.

Asked for a topical, went to pharmacy to pick this up, $292.00 prior to insurance authorization which I won't do now that I have found this information and all the reviews and ideas.

I'm starting with Calendula cream, apple cider vinegar on skin and internally, probiotics, and yogurt.

I'll be back.

Please people, avoid antibiotics, ask for other options, do some research before you start, you can always wait another day or two to become informed before you agree to antibiotics. This is a media world and the information is far more accessible. Be a partner with your Dr. or NP- not a puppet.
Mar 24, 2012
9:37 am PDT

After years of searching!
by thoff13
I was first diagnosed with PD in 2004 and given antibiotics that made me sick yet continued to take them because the PD was so bad. This did help and I was told that usually it does not come back. Well it definitely came back! But years later I was so very glad to find more information available. I quickly switched my shampoo and also body soap to sulfate free...my face has never been clearer, I have had absolutely no flare ups and my hair and skin are incredibly soft. I highly recommend to anyone dealing with PD to make these changes first. It did not take long to notice an improvement and a much better solution than putting more chemicals into your body!
Jan 23, 2012
5:43 pm PST

Re: Perioral Dermatitis - Natural Remedies
by ladysmith105
Hi Strato, thanks for the advice. Have seen significant improvement after 2 days using a new natural soap (Tea Tree soap by Pretty Baby Nat.) and the yogurt mask. Upgraded my vitamins also. I was taking Arimidex to prevent my body from making Estrogen for Breast Cancer, and have since stopped. I definately feel the hormone imbalance is the cause of my PD. Eating lots of fruits & veggies & have been but will eliminate the sugar, I know how bad it is for me. How are you doing?
Many thanks again!
Nov 9, 2011
8:21 am PST

Solution in the UK
by kimp25
Hi there,

I have suffered with this now for over two years and many doctors failed to give me the right treatment so I've been on mild to strong steroid creams and oral antibiotics.

Finally I went to a dermatologist who told me that the cream would only make matters worse. She prescribed a topical antibiotic which took about 5 weeks to totally clear it up but it worked like a charm where all the steroid creams had failed.

When I now see one bump forming I immediately use the topical antibiotic twice a day and within a few days it's gone and doesn't spread. The anti biotic is called Zineryt Lotion.

Kim :-)
Aug 28, 2011
2:18 pm PDT

Calendula- California Baby
by courtneyreedm
I purchased the Calendula Shampoo for face & body & the Calendula moisturizer.... and I am happy to say I love them both. It has only been a day, but already my skin feels calmer. The red marks from old bumps are fading, and the new bumps seem to be getting smaller. The lotion is not greasy either, which is good since I have acne prone skin as well as PD.

I am really optimistic about Calendula- I also stopped using regular laundry detergent and switched to an organic one made for babies.

I also stopped using anything with sulfates (except coco sulfate), glycerine (no Vaseline or aquaphor), and no flouride (xylitol instead).

I am determined to make the bumps stop!!! Anyone else use Calendula? I want to get their thicker calendula cream.
Aug 16, 2011
5:39 am PDT

Natural Remedies
by courtneyreedm
I read this review on California baby's website

"Hello! I just wanted to pass along a "thanks" - I've been suffering from peri-oral dermatitis for the last year. It was really bad and eventually spread to my nose and eyes. I tried everything to get rid of it, antibiotics, prescription topicals, and all kinds of odd stuff suggested by a naturopath (all costing well over $300). Nothing worked! A google search brought me to your Calendula Cream... a trip to Target and 3 weeks later, my face has completely cleared! Thank you so much for making such a wonderful product. It works like magic! I now use it as an everyday moisturizer and my skin has never felt better. THANK YOU!!!! Best, K "

Has anyone tried this? I have tried apple cider vinegar, no sulfates, no flouride, no glycerine, etc. and i still have bumps around my mouth and they have spread to my cheeks.... I just went out and bought organic baby laundry detergent...we'll see how that works. I am interested in this California baby line though. Thoughts?

I have a feeling this will be a life-long battle. :(
Aug 15, 2011
12:32 pm PDT

Thank you, Thank you!
by msjennabe
I was so relieved when I read your helpful info. I have just been diagnosed with perioral dermatitis and have spent months trying to figure out what was happening to my face. After reading your article the "lightbulb" went off and I realized how true what you are saying is. Toothpaste, shampoos, soaps, etc.. all make my face worse. I really appreciate you sharing what helps for you. I will definately try your suggestions and look into purchasing some Calendula Cream.

I am also relieved to know that I am not alone.
Aug 3, 2011
8:05 pm PDT

Getting Rid of PD Symptoms
by sterling1030
I’m a guy that had perioral dermatitis for over 2 years, and it’s been so bad that I chose to use my wife’s foundation makeup. Several months ago it started itching badly, and not knowing it was PD at the time, I scratched my face like there was no tomorrow. Well, the PD spread horrifically all over my face. It wasn’t until that point I started investigating what was wrong with me. Up until that point I just assumed I had poor skin genetics - dumb!

Thank god for sites like this and earth clinic and all of you because it has started a wonderful journey of discovery and appreciation for nutrition. I wanted to share my experience and return the favor…

The first thing I discovered was that the commonly prescribed treatment for PD is tetracycline, which has dangerous long-term side effects, and the PD always returns. I never saw a dermatoligist for PD - I self-diagnosed myself by researching the problem, checking out photos and comparing my symptoms.

After much research and dealing with this problem I now believe I know the cause and what I need to do to CURE PD. I started my natural treatment a little more than 2 months ago. After 2 weeks my severe PD symptoms disappeared. Since then I’ve had to stick to a few strict regimens, but I completely stopped using my wife’s makeup or any embarrassing signs of PD for over 2 months now.

From my research and experience I have determined that the cause of PD is an overgrowth of Candida in the body. In order to CURE the disease you have to kill the candida overgrowth, but this is very hard to do. Here’s what works for me to get rid of the symptoms…

Before you do the following, remove all toxic chemicals that contain sodium lauryl sulfate and flouride from your home. Buy a new toothpaste without flouride, remove all soap, shampoo, body wash, dish soap, household cleaner, and laundry detergent that contains sodium lauryl sulfate. Natural food stores have natural cleaners without these harmful chemicals that actually do a better job! You need to stop wearing makeup and using ANY creams on the face until your PD symptoms disapear. Once your PD clears up, you can experiment and see what makes the candida thrive. Also, throw out any old makeup - this is filled with bad bacteria that feeds candida, and for some of you it may have caused the candida overgrowth in the first place. After you’ve done this, you’re ready to start fighting the candida overgrowth that causes PD by doing the following regimen….

1. Apple Cider Vinegar on Face - This must be organic and unfiltered with the mother (it will say “with the mother” on the label). Use cotton balls to liberally apply the ACV all over your face. No need to dilute it with water! It will sting, but that’s a sign it is doing its job. The pain will reduce after a few days. Do this once in the morning and once at night.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Ingested - Every morning and every night you need to drink a shot of ACV. This is very important because it attacks Candida in the body.
3. Apply an organic plain yogurt mask before bed. The yogurt needs to be organic with live cultures. Have at it, stick your whole hand in the yogurt and slop it on your face and leave overnight. I’m serious - the live cultures in the yogurt fight candida.

These 3 things alone had great effects on clearing up pretty much all of my PD symptoms in less than 2 weeks. This is not a cure, however, because it does not completely kill the Candida overgrowth in the body. If I stop this regimen the PD returns. Also, your diet will determine how effective steps 1-3 are. To get even better results and work towards CURING your PD, add the following….

4. Make sure you maintain great oral health. Scrape all that white stuff off your tongue (which is candida) and gargle twice a day with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
5. Candida overgrowth is believed to begin in the intestinal tract. Acidophilus is a good bacteria that does a great job killing candida in the gut. Get an Acidophilus supplement and take 2x/day. This is also called a probiotic.
6. DIET! - What you eat will determine whether the candida is thriving or getting obliterated, which has a direct result on the quality of your skin. Stop eating sugar, all processed foods, and bread. Try to minimize meats and dairy products. I know, it’s hard. The most important thing is sugar. My PD showed no symptoms, and then I ate 3 big bags of chips, a jar of nutella and a loaf of French bread. The PD started coming back even though I was on the regimen. Then, after eating a ton of vegetables and eliminating sugar, it cleared right up after 3 days and now stays clear as long as I don’t eat much sugar. Sugar = more candida.
7. Amalgam fillings - Amalgam fillings release mercury (a serious toxic poison) into your body every time you grind your teeth. Low level mercury toxicity suppresses the immune system, which allows yeast to proliferate. It is also believed that candida thrives on mercury. Unfortunately I have A LOT of amalgam fillings in my mouth. I’m currently saving money to have them all taken out. If you do have them taken out, you need to have it done at a holistic dentists office, where they understand the dangers of mercury poisoning. After removing your amalgam fillings you need to detox your body of the metal poisoning. You can find natural products that remove heavy metals from your local natural food store. Also, cilantro is great for removing mercury.

I strongly believe that once this mercury poisoning is out of my body, I will be able to starve and kill the candida overgrowth through a strict diet, and actually CURE my PD. My goal is to no longer need this regimen. If you are healthy, there shouldn’t be symptoms like PD. Imagine going to bed and waking up without having to put anything on your face - that sounds awesome.

Good luck, and whenever I get the fillings removed, I’ll give you an update.
Apr 21, 2011
5:03 pm PDT

Re: Inaccurate
by emily-kristina
I wanted to respond to your comment that the information is inaccurate. There are many ways to come into contact with SLS, even if you have been using natural products for the past year.

Please be aware that SLS is in most brands of toothpaste, shampoo, laundry detergents, body washes, dish soaps, hand soaps (most all from pump and some bar soaps), and a large array of cleaning products for the house. It is in many products that "claim" to be natural, but there are very few brands in the above product lines that don't contain SLS.

It is VERY difficult to avoid SLS. Even if all the products you use on yourself, your clothing, and in your home do not contain SLS, chances are that you washed your hands in a public restroom at some point and used hand soap that contained SLS. If it wasn't completely washed away (especially easy to leave a residue in areas with hard water) and you touch your face with your hands afterwards, you may be getting SLS on your face. Just sayin... don't totally discount the theory.
Mar 19, 2011
10:34 am PDT

Inaccurate
by lilchef85
This is very inaccurate. I was just diagnosed with perioral dermatisis today by my dermatologist. However the cause is NOT SLS. I have been using natural products for over a year and had my first flare up three months ago. The cause is unknown. This article is misleading and factually untrue. If you are not pregnant or nursing get antibiotics from your dermatologist.
Mar 7, 2011
9:48 am PST

Perioral Dermatitis - Natural Remedies
by strato7
Hi, I'm a 28 year old male who has suffered from perioral dermatitis. I have been free of this disease for 4 months now. My case was quite severe, with it affecting both sides of my mouth down to my chin, under my nose and below both eyes. It was one of the more embarrassing things I've ever gone through. It caused me much depression and I ended up isolating myself from people for quite a while. It lasted for about 7 months. I tried doxycycline for 2 months which seemed to slightly help but worked very, very slowly.

What WORKS are as follows:

TOPICAL TREATMENTS

-Plain yogurt applied on the rash morning and night. Leave on until dry. This seemed to work best of any topical remedy I tried. It must be organic with live cultures. The live cultures (good bacteria) combat the bad bacteria causing the infection. Does not work immediately. You must be patient.

-Calendula Cream by California Baby. Can be ordered online or bought at health food stores. This product is all natural and contains no chemicals. It's recommended for eczema and other skin sensitivities. I've found that many things used to treat eczema also help PD. I used this in between yogurt applications. It helps keep the rash moisturized. It contains calendula, coconut oil, aloe vera and vitamin E oil. All of which are very good for the skin.

-Organic pure aloe vera gel. Is very gentle on the skin. Aloe vera is anti-inflamatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. Skin Gel - Ultimate Skin Treatment by Aloe Life is a good product. It has vitamins A, C and E added. I have been using this also as a preventative since my PD has gone away. Works well to fight acne also.

-Vitamin E oil keeps skin moisturized, is an antioxidant and prevents scaring. You can buy vitamin E softgels and puncture a hole in the capsule if you have a hard time finding straight vitamin E oil.

-Use all natural and/or organic facial soap. Neem soap works well for me. Neem is an indian herb very good for clearing up skin irritations. Find a soap where you can look at the ingredients and pronounce them. TheraNeem Organix and Neem Aura are good brands. Stop using soaps and shampoos that contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (ALS) known to worsen or cause the condition.

-Stop using toothpaste with flouride which is also known to worsen or even cause the condition. Tom's toothpaste or Jason Brand are good products. It is a misconception that you need flouride to prevent cavities.

INTERNAL TREATMENTS

Vitamin and mineral supplementation are by far the most important aspect to combating PD. Take plenty of vitamins A, B, C and E. I'm not talking about vitamins you buy at the grocery store. You need quality vitamins from a health food store or bought online. Solaray and NOW are good brands. Research online for other quality vitamins. Vitamin A in the form of beta carotene for new cell growth. Vitamin B12 (sublingual, at least 1000 micrograms per day if not more) for stronger skin barrier, and vitamin C and E to decrease inflammation and as antioxidants. Get vitamin C with bioflavonoids which further decrease inflammation. Also, vitamin D in the form of sunlight works very well. Calcium is also very important and works synergistically with the vitamins and helps absorption. Note: do not overdo vitamins A, D and E. They are fat soluble, meaning your body stores them in fat cells and the liver and can become toxic if taken in excess for too long. Check online for proper dosage.

Perioral dermatitis is potentially a life-long disease but does not need to be. With many differing opinions as to what causes it, here are my views: Thyroid imbalances, which cause hormonal imbalances and vitamin and mineral deficiencies leave our bodies more open to disease and infection, seem to be the most likely culprit. Thyroid imbalances cause deficiencies of vitamin B12 and calcium, which are both very important to proper skin health. PD mainly affects women, which makes sense, who have all kinds of wild hormones, ha. And unfortunately I am in the minority of males with PD and I suffer from thyroid problems. Proper diet and supplementing vitamins and minerals will correct deficiencies. Flouride, SLS, ALS, aspartame (or any artificial sweetener), and most bizarre chemicals that we ingest too much of in our day to day life very likely also contribute to a weakened immune system and PD.
As a final note...I feel for those afflicted with PD and have the utmost sympathy. Try not to stress over this condition because stress and anxiety only make the symptoms worse. I know it's very difficult to not be self-conscience with a rash on your face in our society so concerned with appearance. But who knows, maybe it's some karmic lesson about vanity or to allow you to understand it does not matter in the slightest what other people may think. If it is looked at as a lesson to be learned you will come out of it stronger and better than you were. Have faith that your condition will improve. A positive outlook, in my experience, is the best medicine there is.

-Dave.
Feb 18, 2011
7:10 pm PST

So glad to find this!!
by wen64
I had this for over a yr. I've been to 4 dermatologist and am now in my 4th month of Monodox (doxyclcline). Thought it might be getting a tiny bit better and now this week has been awful !!! One this I don't see alot of you mentioning is the severe ITCHING !! I have scratched until my face if bleeding and am left with sores. This is this most embarrasing part. If didn't have a child , I don't think I'd ever leave the house !! So tell me you any of you have this awful itching??? If I could control it I think it wouldn't look so bad, but there isn't anything the Drs say I can put on it , except Sarna and it helps very little. I did several rounds of prednisone, which does clear it up , but I can't take it forever and then it comes back.. This is the worse stuff !
Oct 14, 2010
11:38 am PDT

Re: Emotionally and Psychologically Struggling with Perioral Dermatitis
by jeo266
Hey man, I hear you on this one. I too have perioral dermatitis. I'm a 20 yr old male. I got it when I was 17 and I have it to this day. I'm almost positive I got it from petroleum jelly, possibly a bacteria that was in the jelly helped cause it. Anyways, I put some petroleum jelly around my mouth for some reason, and I woke up the next morning with perioral dermatitis. Completely serious, got it over night because of something so harmless and I still have it. I've been to many dermatologists. There really is no cure for this they say. You might even have it for life. And usually women get it, and since I know it so well cause I have it, I notice the women that have it. I rarely see another guy that has it. For me so far the best thing for it, is to take an anti-biotic, and I've been off and on doxycycline and minocycline the past few years. But the best thing for it at least for me so far, is to take an anti-biotic by night and then a probiotic in the morning. I'm doing that now and the dermatitis is the most faint it's ever been. It's still noticeable at least to me, and some days it's worse than others. But it's really not all that bad. I believe there has to be a way to cure it. It may be a complex skin dermatitis with many contributing factors, but there is definitely a combination of things that will cure it. It's bewildering how something so arbitrary (for me that was putting on petroleum jelly) would cause so far a life long annoying skin dermatitis on your face. What is the website of the Chinese homeopathic method? I'll give it a try.

Oct 8, 2010
3:17 pm PDT

Re: Dawn - Perioral Dermatitis
by dlaporte
I posted a summary of my routine that seems to be working great! Take a look, I hope it can work for you too!

Sep 24, 2010
3:59 pm PDT

Re: Emotionally and Psychologically Struggling with Perioral Dermatitis
by dlaporte
I mentioned in the comment below yours about this topic what has worked for me. My condition is clearing up wonderfully, just dealing with the issue around my nostrals. Take a look at my routine, hopefully it can work for you too.
Best of luck!
Deana
Sep 24, 2010
3:56 pm PDT

Emotionally and Psychologically Struggling with Perioral Dermatitis
by help28
Hi, I am a 28-year-old male who developed perioral dermatitis about seven months ago. Prior to this skin issue I always was lucky enough to have very clear skin even through adolescence. Since developing this skin problem, I have been on hydrocortisone(which, aftewards I found out from a second dermatologist that this only feeds the skin problem while outwardly appearing to help it). After that I was recommended by a dermatologist to try the topical cream Econazole. This quickly made it worse. I stopped. The dermatologist then put me on the topical cream Ketoconazole. This definitely seemed to help as the redness and flaking was reduced and I held hope that it would kill off the problem entirely. However, I still noticed that the skin around the corners of my mouth and near the nose were still irritated. Not satisfied, I went to another dermatologist. He put me on the oral antibiotic Doxycycline and although it helped for a month or so, I ran into the same problem...it eventually returned. I really don't get the red bumps like pictures I've seen online but I do get a very reddish-pink inflammation around my mouth and after that the areas flake terribly. It is a continuous cycle of torture and embarassment. All the dermatologists I have seen said that this condition was incurable; to me that it unacceptable. I never had this issue before and I don't see why it can't be completely cured. Since then, I came across a website dealing with Traditional Chinese Medicines such as natural herbal formulas. After a consultation with the owner of the clinic, who is a qualified and licensed herbal practitioner, I have begun treatment with an all-herbal regimen. What drew me to start the treatment is that according to Traditional Chinese Medicine(which is supposedly very effective with stubborn and chronic skin diseases), Perioral Dermatitis is CURABLE. Not just manageable but CURABLE. I have looked at the before and after pictures of treated cases and they are amazing. But even now, though I have just recently started this herbal treatment, and am praying that it cures this, I am very disheartened. For the past months I have become fearful of living with this condition possibly for the rest of my life. At work, between assignments, I troll the internet looking for any information I can about this condition. At the office where I work I have stopped socializing with co-workers and try to avoid seeing people unless necessary. I go home and cry and cry and try to get myself together but I can't believe what my life has become. I want this condition to stop. I wanted to write something on here, because I need someone to talk to that has had this and understands. I feel like I am spiralling down and life has no joy anymore. If anyone can offer any type of support I would be greatly appreciative. I can also post the website address of the Traditional Chinese Medicine clinic I am seeing for help if someone else wants it. Thanks
Sep 8, 2010
12:52 pm PDT

PD solution that worked for me
Hi,
I am almost 30 and just came down with a case of PD that has lasted for at least 6 months. Silly me, I was putting on this corticosteriod cream (that i didn't know what it was and that it was bad for my face) that my son's doctor prescribed him for some rash he had on his body. It was working like a charm, so I kept using it, until all of a sudden, it stopped helping. It would go away, then come back. After researching online, I saw that using this cream was a bad idea, and that once you stop using it, the PD outbreak would become worse before it got better, which was totally true.

I ended up going to the regular doctors and he prescribed me clyndamycin (topical antibiotic). I didn't notice any progress in the first week and began some more research online, looking for natural remedies. I came upon this site (http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-remedies/natural-remedies-treat-perioral-dermatitis-rosacea-natural-treatment-acne.html) and it mentioned using salicylic acid (it breaks up all the stuff in the pores), so it made sense to me! I also read to use all natural moisturizers and cleansers. So I went out and bought some Cetaphil face wash (for sensitive skin), I got Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent with 2% Salicylic acid, and I got a moisturizer called Nature's Baby Organic face and body lotion. I was already applying the clyndamycin solution every morning and night after washing my face, so when I got the salicylic acid, I stuck that step in the middle. So I wash my face with Cetaphil, put some of the Clear Pore on a cotton ball and wipe my whole face (I have the red bumps under my eyes and into the center of my cheeks). Then I used the topical antibiotic that was prescribed. Once my face felt like it soaked everything up, and was no longer wet, I applied the Nature's baby organic face lotion. I do this twice a day -in the morning and at night- and I reapplied lotion as I needed it throughout the day. I aslo started taking a daily vitamin, a calcium supplement, and one capsule of fish oil. Not sure if that is helping or not, but I know it doesn't hurt.

In the beginning, the affected area got extremely dry and flaky and was really red, I did use make up to cover it up some if I felt self conscience. I noticed right away that the bumps went down drastically (withing 1-2 days). After about 3 weeks of following the above routine, my PD has improved a lot! I am almost rid of this outbreak. So I'm crossing my fingers that it's gone in another week or two, and hopefully I never have it again! I'm having a tough time with the area around the bottom corner of my nostrels though. My 30th bday is in a couple weeks and I really hope i'm cured by then, so I'm not so self conscience and ready to party it up in VEGAS! Good luck to all of you reading this, I really hope that I have helped someone out there because I know how helpless I have felt recently.
Aug 24, 2010
3:08 pm PDT

Dawn - Perioral Dermatitis
by farzanae
Hi Dawn

I was just wondering if you are PD free and if u could write a brief summary of what contributed to you getting rid of the pd, i,e. which anti bios, topical creams, cleansers, day cream, spf, which brand of toothpaste, etc

I have had this for 2 years now and it annoys me to no end not being able to completely rid myself of it.

Any advice will be appreciated

Faz
Aug 18, 2010
12:55 pm PDT

Re: PD experience and questions
by dhanu
Hi,

I turned my 27. I have the answer for ur 2 questions.. i also a sufferer of PD.. and get once in a month when ovulate. and it will take another one month to become ok- again it starts the next ovulation- this cycle continues.. I fed up of this.. So left it off. but now thinking again to consult another dermatologist.. And i dont have any bumps or pimples along wit tht now.. it flake, peeling, dry..and irritated..
Apr 13, 2010