Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4050n Laser Printer

Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4050n Laser Printer

ratings (10 Epinions reviews)

Hewlett Packard Laser Jet Printer 4050N

Feb 18, 2001

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Built in network, 16MB memory and two paper trays

Cons:Toner is expensive.

The Bottom Line: The 4050N is a network ready printer with great speed and quality that performs excellent under heavy use.

This printer is the work horse of 90% of our print jobs at our tech bench. We use the HP 648c inkjet printers for system check reports on units in for service but all the service orders, balance due reports, daily reports, activity reports and many other jobs are done on this fine machine.

Overview
The Laser Jet 4050N is a fast reliable printer with built in network interface. The 4050N features a 133MHz RISC processor and 16MB of memory that can be upgraded to 192MB with three memory slots total. The toner is simple to replace but is somewhat expensive. The print quality is 1200dpi and can print documents at 17ppm. This printer has been on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for over 9 months straight without so much as a hiccup. Since powering it on in June 2000 we have only had to replace the toner once in January 2001.

Paper and capacity
The standard paper capacity out of the box is 600 sheets and when sending a job to print the first page out takes 13 seconds and each page out after takes about 4 seconds. It does not print in color but the quality of black and white grahics are absolutely fabulous. The printer can print transparacies, lables and other standard sized media including envelopes with the optional envelope feeder. The maximum envelope input is 75. The printer comes standard with two paper trays. Standard paper sizes are letter, legal and executive. The monthly duty cycle for this printer is 65,000 pages.

Connectivity
There are several ways to cennect the printer to your computer or network. You can use a standard IEEE 1284 compliant bidirectional parallel cable, RS-232 9-pin serial cable, or RJ45 network cable through the HP JetDirect Ethernet 10/100Base-TX in EIO slot 1. It also has a built in Fast Infrared receiver if you prefer.

We use the 10/100Base-TX and have it connected directly to the network so all our computers have access to it individually. The only problem we have had with this type of connection is searching for your documents in the pile that is always sitting on the output tray. The output tray holds 300 sheets max. so you have to check it once in a while if you have a lot of computers sending print jobs to it or have a big print job in a busy office.

Digital Readout
The printer has a small display on the top that will tell you when and which tray is out of paper as well as when it's time to replace the toner. It also tells you if there is a paper jam, but as of yet we have not experienced one. The display shows the time and date, is back-lit and easy to read.

Conclusion
One of the few worries we do not have at work is, "Is the printer online?" The printer is always online and has never failed. I recommend this printer for heavy use and network environments where many people need to print and don't have time for "down time". The Hewlett Packard 4050N is one of the reasons I think HP makes the best Laser Jet printers. I hope this helps you decide if this machine is right for your needs. Thanks for reading.

Gr8ful :-)

Amount Paid (US$): Company use
Operating System: Windows

Hewlett Packard LaserJet Enterprise 600 Printer M602n

Overview Expand your workgroup printing possibilities with this premium HP LaserJet. The robust performance of this printer delivers professional-qua...
BuyDig.com

Beach Camera.com

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Pro P1102w Wireless Laser Printer Ce658abgj

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Pro P1102w Wireless Laser Printer Ce658abgj

With a print speed of 19 ppm for letters and 18 ppm for A4, the HP P1102w standard laser printer finishes your printing task in seconds. With a print ...

Newegg.com