If your not ready...wait!

Feb 4, 2000

I truly believe that if I had gone to college right out of high school it would have been the biggest waste of money! I had no direction. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I would have gone and not learned a thing. I would have just used it as an excuse to put my life on hold while I figured out what I wanted.

I was lucky enough to get my foot in the door at a utility company and I went to work there right out of high school. Then when I finally got that need, that thirst for knowledge. I knew it was time for me to go back to school. So I looked into tuition reimbursement. Lucky for me the company I worked for had 100% tuition reimbursement. Of course I had to pay for the first three classes up front. When I passed the company would reimburse me. After the first three classes the company would pay the school directly.

This program is not unconditional money. You have to pass the classes. If you fail you have to pay yourself. I found that to be a GREAT incentive for me to do well.

I had decided to work and take excellerated courses. After a year and a half I received my Associates Degree in Business Administration. Not too bad! I was very proud of myself and it made me feel really good to know that I did it on my own. I have no student loans to pay. And I did well! I recommend that if you don't know what you want to do...take your time...and figure it out. I hate to see all these kids going to college because the "HAVE TO". And getting out and not being happy with the path they have chosen.

I have a close friend whose daughter is graduating from high school and her daughter wants to take a year off before college. I told her daughter that since she thinks she knows that she wants to do...go and get your foot in the door. Look for a company and start of where ever (the mailroom). Check into the company's continuing education policies. Maybe they will pay for your college! It's worth a shot!

Member: Johnna Masala