Sony EXM 302- nice little amp

Jan 20, 2000 (Updated Sep 9, 2001)

Popular Products in Amplifiers and Preamps
The Bottom Line Great amp if you can find one (old). SO much better than the Xplode line's now. Very durable and clean. I love it!

I know this amp is old, but I really like it. I haven't even been able to find info on it besides the print on the amp. I bought it off a guy for $35, and it was money well spent. This amp is rated at only 30 watts RMS per channel, so it's no powerhouse. I've used it with an external crossover running a pair of 8 inch Pioneer subs, and it did a good job. Now it keeps busy running a pair of 6 1/2's, which is really perfect for this amp. It's about the size of a Pioneer 332, but doesn't put out quite as much power. I really like how clean this amp is. It is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard.

It's a really little amp (about 9"x6"), with a silver center section and blue heat sinks. This Sony is good for powering coaxles and components. IT IS NOT A SUB AMP! Don't expect it to bump. We used it to test a friends 15 for a few minutes and it sounded good, but I would not recommend it for anything bigger than 6X9's. If you can find one of these it should be really cheap, because they haven't made them in a while. This amp seems very durable, a friend borrowed it and bridged a pair of 10's to it. The amp is not 2 ohm stable in mono, so it kept shuting down, but it never damaged itself.

I would say this is a great amp for someone looking for an amp to run 6X9's, coaxiles, or components for very cheap. I love mine. It sounds very nice and clean. No hiss or distortion of any kind.

Update________
I've changed vehicles, and now the amp is running a pair of Pioneer 6.5's in the doors of my 85 Toyota pickup truck. Still sounds great and works fine. I am really waiting for this thing to die. I have owned it for 3 years now, and it was old when I got it. I spent about 3 weeks of rest while I was getting settle into the new truck, and then back to work it went. I drive nearly everyway, and make a mean 8 hour each way trip once a month. My stereo is ALWAYS on when I am in the truck, so this amp has been used a lot. My estimate is that I have put about 2000 hours on it (over 70,000 miles of vehile running, not to mention playing while parked or working outside the truck).

Location: Texarkana, Arkansas
About Me: 29 yr old mechanical engineer that can't stop tinkering with things..