Sharp HT-DP3000 Sharp HT-DP3000

Sharp HT-DP3000

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Very "Sharp" little home theater in a box!

Dec 27, 1999

Pros:complete package for little cash outlay

Cons:tiny remote

This Sharp home theater package, the HT-DP3000, was a windfall for us, a freebie tossed in from Montgomery Wards when we purchased a very large projection televsion. It sat for awhile while I set up the large tv to my expensive existing home theater. This was a shame, because when I got around to setting this one up for my children to use as their own "mini" home theater, I discovered that this little "Home Theater In A Box" really delivers the goods!

No, this system will not blow you away nor will it provide earth shattering sounds, but what it will do is envelop you in an even handed, responsive sound environment. The speakers, including passive subwoofer, compliment each other and are all matched perfectly to the receiver. For a system that drives roughly 30 watts or so to each speaker, it has very full sound and lively action! I tested it with a Panasonic PV-9455S hifi vcr coupled to a Panasonic CT-20G13 and it makes not only a wonderful home theater for the kids, but a home theater that can stand on its own merits.

I have found with this setup that you need to turn the sats up a bit more than you would on more powerful systems, but that is not a big deal and you are never overpowered by ambient sound emanating from the sats. The passive sub provides good bass response and is plenty rumbly without overpowering the mains or detracting from the rest of the soundtrack or music.

The cons? It doesn't have tremendous push, wattage wise, so you need to be judicious with the volume level. And hey Sharp! Could you make a remote that is at least 3/4 the size of other remotes on the market? This remote is so tiny that the buttons you intend to push get pushed, but along with 2-3 other buttons you didn't intend to depress.

Overall, this little system is a great buy. It comes complete, with the speakers even being wire harnessed - all you do is plug the speaker wires into the speakers and the harness plug into the back of the unit, and you are done!

And hey, kudos to Sharp for incorporating a decent tuner into a low-end unit. This little rascal really pulls in the FM dial.