Corn-on-the-Cob that Just Won't Quit!

Aug 1, 2000 (Updated Aug 9, 2000)

Grilled corn-on-the-cob is a favorite in my household. It seems to go with every meal and it always tastes delicious. The best thing about it--it is so easy to make. It turned out very well the first time I made it, and has gotten better ever since.

To make this "recipe," you must first start with the corn. Believe it or not, I use the frozen kind at the grocery store, but you can use fresh, if you prefer it. But you must remember that to use fresh corn you must effectively triple the prep and cook time, mostly for cleaning the stuff.

The kind of corn I prefer is the extra sweet Green Giant brand. To prepare, all you need to do is boil the frozen corn for about five minutes. By then, you are halfway home. If you do opt for fresh corn, you will need to have is shucked, very clean, and boil it for maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Go ahead and add a bit of sugar to the boiling water, as it will bring out the natural sweetness of the corn.

The next step is to season the corn. What? Season corn? Yes!!! I usually coat it with butter flavored cooking spray or you can brush it thoroughly with olive oil, your choice. Then, just add your seasonings. I like to put seasoned salt on there, along with a little bit of chili powder and maybe some Italian seasoning. Just put whatever you like on there.

Next you need to put it on the grill. By the time you are ready for this, you should have the grill all ready to go. It doesn't take very long to grill the corn, so you should plan to put it on 10 minutes before your other grilled food is finished. However, for fresh corn you will need to grill for at least 20 minutes, until the kernels are tender and juicy.

All you have to do is rotate the corn every 3 or 4 minutes, until there are sear marks on the corn. It will be very hot, so use caution when you handle it. Do it right and you will have the tastiest, juiciest corn ever! As I said, this is an easy recipe. I have been absolutely thorough, and there is really little else to say on the subject. Enjoy!
________________________

If you want, check out my recipe on ribs. This corn and those ribs are a perfect match!!!