Martin Gas Products/Prime Heat Masterpiece Infrared Heater MIR 6

Martin Gas Products/Prime Heat Masterpiece Infrared Heater MIR 6

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Uses Less Gas and Heats Less Space

Sep 13, 2000

Pros:Doesn't need electricity, Oxygen depletion feature, Better looking than most space heaters

Cons:Can't beat a central heat system

About five years ago we purchased a space heater. I had not had a need for a space heater in years and was not sure what to even ask for at the local hardware store. The owner showed me all the models in stock and I decided to try this Martin infared model.

Despite the claims that it would not get warm, I purchased a burn proof "mat" for the floor under and around the heater area. And I am glad I did. During our coldest times, the heater top and back do warm up considerably as does the floor in the front of the heater. I don't think anything would actually catch on fire, but I like being cautious.

The warm heater top is not always a bad thing. When our electric cooking appliances are out during an ice storm, I have set mugs of water on the top to heat up and use to make hot chocolate.

I paid about $450 for my Martin heater. It heats an area about 24 feet by 14 feet. For $450 I would have liked it to heat a little more space.

The unit lacks the "fan" feature of some other space heaters. Some space heaters have a small fan in the back which blows the warmed air "out" much the same way as an air conditioning unit. I really miss having this feature on this infared heater. Fans on space heaters keep the temperature more uniform throughout the room, effectively heating more room. Without the fan, you get the same effect as a fireplace - one side toasty and the other side cold. I think if this feature were included in this model, it would heat much more area.

And now, a comparison of their claims to my experience.

THEIR CLAIM: "Reliable heat without needing electricity" MY RESPONSE: Great during ice storms when all the neighbors with heating systems using electricity are having to huddle around their fire places. Of course, it has been so cold here, that we have huddled around our heater. I thought, "What a funny site we would make to a 'cave man' family!" Of course, they would have the advantage of being able to use their fire for cooking.

THEIR CLAIM: "Vent-free technology for convenient installation and no expensive venting" MY RESPONSE: Yeah! No holes in the wall or a purchase of ugly vent pipes. You just hook it up to the gas and click her own.

THEIR CLAIM: "An attractive, space-saving cabinet only 5 1/2 deep (excluding front grill)" MY RESPONSE: As space heaters go, this model is attractive. But are any space heaters attractive? I still haven't figured out how to thoroughly clean the front grill and the "burner" area which makes a safety worry for me and a not exactly great appearance after five years of collecting dust during the "off-season."

THEIR CLAIM: "A built-in Oxygen Depletion Sensor to ensure Safety" MY RESPONSE: This feature is supposed to automatically shut the heater and gas off if there is not enough oxygen to safely operate the heater. I assume it works. I haven't tested it. When we use our heater enough that oxygen depletion might be a problem, I leave a window cracked for a supply of fresh air per the instructions that come with all space heaters.

THEIR CLAIM: "99.9% efficiency for up to 4 times the savings of electricity" MY RESPONSE: (with raised eyebrows) Four times?? I'd wager two. In any case, its defnitely cheaper.

THEIR CLAIM: "Easy access variable burner controls for endless temperature settings" MY RESPONSE: Endless??? Mine has three - low, medium and high. Endless???

THEIR CLAIM: "Fast, matchless starting with push-button Piezo ignition" MY RESPONSE: (Laughter) Is three to five tries fast? Especially since you are supposed to wait five second between each try.

My Evaluation

My evaluation of owning a Martin infared space heater. Never again in my home, unless they add the fan feature. I think that would make it truly worth the price. However, I would seriously consider it for a camp or other rustic setting that is only used occassionally.

Prime-line Products Emergency Gas Shut-off Wrench Mill

Prime-line Products Emergency Gas Shut-off Wrench Mill

Prime-Line Products Emergency Gas Shut-Off Wrench Mill Features Solid steel construction Quickly shut off gas in an emergency Fits most standard gas v...

X-200 Martin Recurve Left Hand 45#

X-200 Martin Recurve Left Hand 45#

Manufacturer: MartinManufacturer Part #: X200 LH 45#UPC: 043008015348 Riser: BirchLimbs: Eastern Hard Maple laminations and black fiberglass.Length: 6...
Sportsman's Logistics
Prime-Line Products U 10073 Adjustable Flag Pole Holder with 1-1/8-Inch Pole, Dark Brown Plastic

Prime-line Products U 9375 Flag Pole Holder Adjustable 1-1/8-inch Pole Off-wh

Prime-line Products U 9375 Flag Pole Holder Adjustable 1-1/8-inch Pole Off-wh

NEW Prime-Line Products U 9375 Flag Pole Holder Adjustable 1-1/8-Inch Pole Off-White Plastic 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUY...

Purple Martin Predator Guard for 2 Floor House

Purple Martin Predator Guard for 2 Floor House

Predator guards fit all styles of Purple Martin houses. Coates, Starling Resistant and WatersEdge. Photo is hardware for 4 floor house, less hardware ...
WoodDuckShack.com
Prime-Line Front Drawer Guide Roller Kit R 7147

Prime-Line Front Drawer Guide Roller Kit R 7147

Shop for Hardware at The Home Depot. The Prime-Line Products Front Drawer Guide Roller Kit includes 1 left-hand roller, 1 right-hand roller and screws...
Home Depot

Prime-Line Products U 9378 Flag Pole Holder, 3/4-Inch Pole, 30-Degree, Zinc Plated Steel

Prime-line Products U 9374 Flag Pole Holder 2 Hole Off White Plastic

Prime-line Products U 9374 Flag Pole Holder 2 Hole Off White Plastic

q NEW Prime-Line Products U 9374 Flag Pole Holder 2 Hole Off White Plastic $9.37 $12.95 This pole holder is constructed from UV resistant plastic to e...

Quad-Tel Pole for 12-Family Martin Birdhouse

Quad-Tel Pole for 12-Family Martin Birdhouse

Bring home the Quad-Tel Pole to support your 12-Family Martin Birdhouse. It adds functional and artistic appeal to your birdhouse. This three-sided po...