Fresh Juice Free-for-all

Dec 18, 2000

Pros:small, hideaway cord storage, easy clean, automatic

Cons:could be a little faster

My current employer is nice enough to provide fresh fruit for everyone at my office every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. The strawberries, raspberries, apples, and pears go really fast, leaving oranges, grapefruit, and bananas for any laggers. A few weeks ago, eating my third grapefruit of the week, I got the brilliant idea of making fresh juice from the free fruit. I went shopping that weekend and came across a Black and Decker CitrusMate plus on sale for $15 so I grabbed it.

The following Tuesday I grabbed a few grapefruits and gave it a whirl. It was very easy to use. The unit was small enough to fit on the limited counter space available in the office kitchen. I'd say it's about the size of two can openers placed back-to-back. It took about 5 minutes to make about two glasses (10oz each, maybe). This was about half of the capacity of the storage container. Snapping the actual juicer off to pour out the juice was very easy as well. Cleanup was easy as well, even by hand (I am not sure if the juicer is dishwasher safe - that wasn't an option for me). Storage is very easy as well. The cord wraps around the base of the unit in a recessed area so it doesn't stick out. I can quite easily get the juicer back into its box and slide it into a double desk drawer.

I now regularly drag out the juicer at least once a week, and sometimes on both days. Sometimes I make orange juice and sometimes grapefruit juice. Both are easy and fast.