A Scooby Doo-rific Birthday!

Oct 10, 2000 (Updated Jul 27, 2008)

The Bottom Line The bottom line? Scooby-Doo rocks!

Well it's that time again; time to plan for yet another birthday party! My son decided he wanted a Scooby Doo party, complete with The Mystery Machine. Being the freaky mom that I am I once again set out to create the ultimate birthday party extravaganza and keep it as inexpensive as possible. It's not that I'm cheap, not in the least, but when I know tings are going to get destroyed or only used once – what's the point of spending a ton of money? Planning this type of party isn't something that can be done in a few days but at the same time it doesn't have to involve weeks and weeks worth of time either. Planning is half the battle, the other part is knowing where to get the best deals, how to let the kids have the most amount of fun and coming away from the whole thing with a lot of great memories.

The Invitations

I made use of different comic books and toy boxes that were laying around and made my own invitations. A clip here, a cut there, some personalized effects and I was on my way to Kinko's. It was about the same price as buying them at the card store but they were all personalized and unique. I also added some Scooby Snacks (vanilla wafers) in each of the cards – just pick up some small snack sized bags, toss in a few cookies and you are ready to go. You can purchase inexpensive envelope making kits as well, the one that I have is a series of square and rectangle pieces of thick plastic that show you exactly where to rip and cut to make your own envelopes and yes they are regulation size so you won't have any trouble sending them via the United State Post Office.

The Cake

This was a tough call; Scooby Doo, the whole gang or just The Mystery Machine? I decided to go all out and make four sheet cakes; two vanilla, one chocolate and one marble. I cut two of the sheet cakes in half and stacked them on top of each other, I added two plastic columns inside the middle of the cake after baking and cutting to keep it from sliding around while I frosted it as well. I iced the entire thing and started creating The Mystery Machine. It is much simpler than it sounds. I used chocolate covered donuts for wheels, pieces from the Star Wars Lego sets for windows, a toy license plate for the back bumper, more Legos for the antenna, door handles and door outlines. When I gathered up all the extras I made sure they were the right size before I started air brushing the design on the cake. It took about two hours but when I was done it looked fantastic.

I used the other two cakes to create a scene around The Mystery Machine. I thought The Mystery Machine might have been too heavy to put on top of the other cakes so I used a small cake pan turned upside down to support it. I put the two sheet cakes next to The Mystery Machine and covered them in green frosting. I made a fence from some of the fencing from a Playskool farm set and air brushed in some dark sports around The Mystery Machine. I used plastic Scooby Doo figures for the characters; most were from Get That Dog! or "Scooby Doo! Where Are You?"

Looking back on it, I am so happy I decided to do this myself. Sure it may have cost me a few more dollars and more than a few hours but the end result was awesome! Even the parents were amazed. If you want to try this PLEASE make sure you sterilize any toys or extras you want to put on the cake, make a list of what is edible and what isn't and make sure you go through that checklist before the cake gets cut. If you don't want to go through all that effort, you can order Scooby-Doo shaped baking pans at the Wilton Online Store or check your local Michaels to see what they have in stock.

Scooby-Doo Party Toppers
Scooby-Doo Party Bags
Scooby-Doo Icing Decorations

Games

Besides having almost every Scooby Doo movie running in the game room I cooked up a few games that I had hopes the kids would enjoy. There are a lot of different games that have the Scooby-Doo theme to them but if you know they are going to get trashed or don't want to fork out the extra cash, these are some great alternatives.

Scooby Twister
Take a normal Twister floor mat and instead of colors use the characters. You can cut out little character faces and tape them on the Twister spinner. This was fun for about 5 minutes. Hey, I tired. Don't have a Twister game? You can do the same thing with a plain plastic table cover or the reverse side of a printed table cover.

Pin the Tail on Scrappy
I am sorry; Scrappy Doo was the down fall of that cartoon. Hence, the game. The kids did have some fun with this but the image of these kids blindfolded – walking around with Velcro tails was a sight to see.

Scooby Scrabble Bingo
I took the tiles from the Scrabble game and used them to create Scooby Scrabble Bingo. Some sheets of poster board and colored markers are all you need to create this – and it’s educational as well. I drew oversized blocks on the poster board and wrote each child's name on the board. Each child drew letters and tried to create Scooby words, like dog, van, cookie, bet, monster and of course the word Scooby. Who ever spelled the most words got a prize. We had to play this with four kids at a time due to the limited number of some letters in the Scrabble game.

In addition to those games we also had a water balloon toss, wash off Scooby tattoos and a Scooby piņata filled with little Scooby Doo toys that I got at Party Warehouse and Party Zone. It only cost about $15.00 for about 60 toys and the kids had a great time. Some kids didn't want to hit the piņata because it was Scooby Doo but they sure did dive in once he had a few hard whacks! If you are having a hard time finding small toys to stuff the piņata with, you can check these online stores to see what they have - KBtoys.com, Happy Toy Depot Online Store and Buy.com.

Scooby Doo Came To My Birthday Party!

If you really want to get a reputation of being an out of control parent you can call any costume rental store and ask if they have adult costumes. I called Party Works and rented the adult Scooby Doo outfit for 48 hours. Total cost including tax $67.04. Does that sound a bit extreme? I sure hope not. The look on the kids faces made it well worth the fee. Every kid sat [in silence] with dropped jaws and gawked at Scooby. It was a different scene inside that costume though. It was hot and actually smelled a bit like dog. Nonetheless, every kid sat on my lap and had a picture taken. The hardest past was doing the voice; I know, it's only "Scooby Speak" but you try it for an hour. If you are even thinking about renting a costume, make sure it will be cool enough outdoors so you won't be sweating your rear off – if you thought the inside of it smelled when you put it on, imagine what it will smell like after an hour or so of sweating.

The Mystery Machine

My greatest creation yet! I really really wanted to make a Mystery Machine but was clueless as to where to start. I made a trip to Sears and asked for refrigerator boxes and finally found one that was big enough to use. What kind of refrigerator came in this box is beyond me but it was HUGE! I put the box on its side and reinforced the "walls" with some plywood pieces from the garage. I broke out the power sprayer and laid on a few coats of base white. From there it was simple. I drew the basic outline of the doors, windows, logo and wheels. When it dried I air brushed the colors on and waited patiently, again, for it to dry. It needed about three coats total for the colors to really stand out. If I hadn't put the base coats it the colors would have never taken. I used an industrial box cutter to cut the doors out as well as the windows. For the windows I used saran wrap and taped it tightly to the inside of the "van". I sprayed one coat of the base white inside so that the kids would have some place to draw.

The hardest thing was keeping it dry; we get a lot of dampness in the evening so I had to drag it in the garage when I was done working on it for the day. Needles to say, my neighbors really thought I went over the edge. The Mystery Machine was a huge hit and all the kids got their picture taken inside of it. If you are going to do this, I highly suggest that you have some crayons and markers on hand so they can decorate the inside of it – the perfect picks are Crayola’s 16 Pack Washable Crayons and the ultra cool Click Em On Washable Markers. As far as crayons go, metallic, washable or regular crayons are all great choices.

Odds & Ends

• What good is it to have games if you aren't going to have some prizes??? Some great ideas for prizes include coupons for local fast food places, 7-11 gift certificates for Slurpees, Disney Dollars and even $5.00 gift cards from Target, Blockbuster, Wal-Mart or Kmart depending on what's close to you.

• I took boxes of vanilla wafers and covered them with Scooby Doo book covers that I got on clearance at Target in the school supply section. I had a box on each table and they added a cute touch to the party. You can also hang balloons from them – especially great for holding down helium ones – or as edible centerpieces.

• Want to make some cool Scooby Snacks? Start with a basic sugar cookie recipe [email me if you need one] and cut out the shapes using the Wilton Dog Bone Cutter. Allow them to cool then frost them with royal icing or to save some time use one of the many colors in the Wilton Color Mist collection.

• If you have little artists in your midst, you can indulge them with Scooby-Doo Macaroni & Cheese! These are just the right size to make macaroni picture frames and make for great souvenirs from the party. If worse comes to worse, you can always cook them up and serve them to the Scooby fans!

• The Wilton Online Store carries a lot of Scooby-Doo related products – a great place to find pans, cupcake liners and my personal favorite - Scooby-Doo Shaped Sprinkles. You can also check Amazon.com, Walmart.com and the Kmart Online Store for items and party supplies that might be on sale.

All in all it was a fantastic party. Everyone, parents included, found something to do. We did find a few of the fathers in the game room watching episodes of Scooby Doo I taped from Cartoon Network. We couldn't help but laugh when we saw three grown men arguing over who the better host was, The Harlem Globetrotters or Phyllis Diller. There are tons of great Scooby-Doo video tapes on the market – most of which can be rented from Blockbuster or purchased for about $7.99 - $9.99 at places like Target and Wal-Mart.

Thanks for the read and have a Scooby Dooby Doo Day!

~^V^~ Freak ~^V^~