Keeping a family history - 10 year journal.

Jun 28, 2000 (Updated May 15, 2003)

The Bottom Line 05/2003 - Thanks to reader Brec Esnard. He found this journal on Amazon.com. Here is the link; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965265285/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-9568123-7184025?v=glance&s=books

My mother died when I was 4 . This was back in 1965. Unfortunately, there were not video tape recorders or hand held cassette players around at that time. I don’t have a lot of memories of my mother, nor do I have a lot of physical things to remember her by. She did keep a diary; unfortunately, she only filled out about one month then quit writing. My father didn’t talk about my mother too much while I was growing up. Too painful for him. Now he does talk about her, but his memory isn’t what it used to be. There is so much I don’t know about my mother, her middle name, her favorite color, why she choose my name, etc. These are things I will never know, and I have to be content with that fact.

Two years ago I had a baby girl. I thought it was ironic that God finally gave me a mother-daughter relationship, only with me as the mother! I started keep a journal because I want to make sure my daughter knows me if I am not around. I guess I am more pre-disposed to worry about dying young, but there are other advantages to keeping a daily journal. The journal I keep records the history of our family. I may write down something that I think is unimportant, but may turn out to be of importance to one of my children 20 years from now. The journal also helps remind me of things I have done with friends, or past friends I may have lost touch with.

Keeping a daily journal may sound like a daunting task, but I have found a way to make it a little easier. I have a leather bound 10 year journal published by Because Time Flies. This journal takes each day of the year and gives it it’s own page. This page is then divided into 10 rows, with four lines in each row. Each row is given a year. This way, you get 10 years on each page. If you need more room for a given day, there are carry over pages in the back of the journal. There are also extra pages at the end of each month, as well as an address section and a Looking Ahead section.

This journal has taken away all excuses for me not to write daily. Only four lines, how can I complain! Some days I can fill up four or more lines, but then there are days when nothing happens, and my only entry might be, “ran errands”. There is no pressure to fill a whole blank page.

The journal itself runs around $30.00 and must be ordered from the publisher. The publisher gives a discount on larger orders. This is actually a small price to pay for 10 years worth of family history. This journal is what you make it, but you can make it a valuable piece of your family history.

Member: Marjie Shulsinger