Never Slept Better!

Aug 11, 2000

After our daughter was born, so many people continued to tell us to be prepared for sleepless nights. I had hoped that she would be a great sleeper and that we would not lose too much sleep. Well, we were granted our wish as our daughter is now 2 years old, has been sleeping through the night since she was 8 weeks (7 hours a night) and since then has only woken up in the middle of the night 3 times. Are we just lucky to have such a great daughter or did we do the right things to assist her in sleeping through the night? I think it is alittle bit of both!!

After giving birth to my daughter the nurses brought her in every 3 hours to feed and I continued to feed her that way when it was time for us to go home from the hospital. I never fed her on demand, but kept to a schedule of feeding every 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Even if she began crying after an hour, I never put her back to the breast. Babies do not cry just because they are hungry. There are many other reasons why, such as wet, bored, tired, hot, gas, etc. Many mothers feed on demand, but I never did. Many may think that feeding this way would starve your child, but she continued to gain weight and she was very healthy. Being on a "schedule" regulated her eating and metabolism.

If she woke at 5 a.m. I would nurse then and then put her down, hoping she would sleep even for 30 minutes so I could get myself together. Then I would nurse again at 8 a.m., but then play with her for a short period of time and then put her down for a nap. She would then nap for about an hour in the morning and then of course, nurse at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and then at 8 p.m. I would always play with her after I nursed her and then let her nap. After the 8 p.m. feeding, she went directly to bed. That way, she knew that it was time to go to sleep. Did she cry when we put her in the crib at night? Yes, sometimes she did, but we left her. If she screamed for longer than 15 minutes, we always went in to check on her. We only had half a dozen times when this happened.

We plan on doing the same thing when we have our second child. This method really does work! It has for us and many other friends of ours.

Member: Meredith