Comments on Why I love my IUD..." (30 total) View all
Date Written
Re: Paragard
by lovelypinay
Hi ladies,
I just had my Paraguard put in today at the Health Clinic. Took 10 minutes didn't even feel much pain at all, thank god I didn't go home I heard horror stories from friends...I had a little cramping & spotting afterwards but by the end of the day I went to work. I'm a Personal Trainer & I had no problems at all. So far so good:-)
Aug 2, 2013
7:11 pm PDT

Paragard
by hazeleyez1979
I was on the paragard back in 2010. I had it taken out because of heavy bleeding and cramping. I've been on every birth control on the market. In August of last year my cycles haven't been normal. I was getting it twice a month or I was spotting. I had enough. I've had such a low sex drive from the hormones in my bc pill. I've also been very irritated and haven't been myself. I went to my dr today and got the Paragard inserted. I just felt some pinching and cramping for 2-3 min and that was it. Not so bad. I'm happy I got it again. I just want my body to get back to normal and I'm happy to have a birth control without hormones. It's a very convenient type of bc. I don't have to worry about taking pills everyday and I'll be protected for 10 years. I've had 2 kids so it wasn't painful like other reviews I've read.
Apr 5, 2012
2:27 pm PDT

Got a Paragard today...
by k_won_solo
So, after 20+ years on the pill, I decided I wanted a more convienient and effective BC method. I really do not want kids, so I am a bit of a paranoid pill taker ... tend to kinda freak out if I take a pill late. I'm pretty consistent but still, taking a pill at the exact same time for years isn't always feasible. Anyway, after doing tons of research, I decided that Paragard was my best bet .. long term, easy & super effective. Yep, that's what I need. My doctor's office had told me I had to have a consult appointment before my insertion appointment so I did no prep ... no before ibuprofen, no one to drive me etc. Well, turns out the doctor was prepared to do the insertion that day. After meeting with her, I decided to go for it. Like I said, I have never had kids so I was really nervous about the pain since many of the reviews said that makes insertion is worse. Basically, I felt about 2 minutes of cramping with 3 sharper cramps as the Dr was doing the measuring and insertion. I'd say, like a bad menstrual cramp. Not intolerable at all but not really fun either. Afterward, I felt a tad bit faint but I pass out when having my blood drawn so that's not unusual for me. On the way home I took 2 Naproxin since I was still cramping like a heavy period. After an hour or so I felt fine enough to go shopping. I can't speak to the efficiacy or periods since I just got it today but just wanted to chime in for those of you worried about insertion. I would definately do it again, the fear of insertion was far worse than the actual insertion. So far, so good!
Dec 2, 2011
8:28 pm PST

Re: Just got IUD out after 11 years
by msbyrd
Thank you for sharing your experience! I just had mine and I agree the positives look like they are going to outweigh the negatives. I was just wondering, did your periods or cramps get any better as the years went on? I will never go back on hormonal BC with all the issues I had, but I am hoping that the cramps and the heaviness ease up a bit.
May 10, 2011
10:18 pm PDT

Thinking it's worth it....
by msbyrd
So I wanted to give my experience since I feel most are either negative or a piece of cake, mine was neither!

I have never had children and had a horrible experience over the last 12 years with hormonal BC so I decided on the copper IUD. I had my Paragard inserted in late March, it was THE MOST pain I ever felt for 2-3 minutes. I was only given a pill to soften my cervix that I took the night before and I took about 800mg of Ibuprofen. It was painful for me, much more than I anticipated as I feel as though I have a high pain threshold, but it was tolerable since it was such a short period of time. I did feel warm and light headed after and needed to stay lying down for a few minutes which is apparently normal for women who have never had a child and likely if you have low blood pressure (anything passing through your cervix tends to drop your BP). Honestly the best thing for me after was having someone else driving me (essential) and a martini (it helped). For the next few days I had terrible cramps off and on, back pain and spotting. My first period was a few weeks later and the cramps at moments crippled me. I was hunched over catching my breath a few times and was even woken out of my sleep by the pain.

I am having my second period now since the insertion and have had intense cramps and heaving bleeding. I am hoping that these will both ease up! All in all, it was not a pain free insertion nor have my periods been walks in the park but considering that I am not taking synthetic hormones, I feel more myself and best of all, I have my SEX drive back I am thinking the few days a month needing to take some ibuprofen and some discomfort are worth it.
May 10, 2011
10:13 pm PDT

Worth the painh
by sugarcubes
I'm so free from daily pills, monthly refills, hormones etc. The down side of paraguard is that I have longer periods (8 days) more frequently (27 days) with cramps (none prior).
I haven't given birth but have had a terminated pregnancy. The insertion was thee worst pain I've ever felt. It hurt like muth** f****** h*** for an endless 5 minutes. It was unforgettable pain and as I lay there in the moment I thought "I will never have a child. I will never let myself feel this again, I promise" Had I known that was how much pain there was, I would have reqeusted sedation. But in the end, it's so worth the freedom from hormones and freedom from daily attention. I am only worried now by the fact that I had cramps today AFTER my period was done. Never had this before and I'll be seeing my nurse tmrw. But it still has more upside than downside. Thanks everyone for the tips on ibuprophen. (btw Yes I took 1000 ipubrofen, more than than the suggested 800, had the lidocaine and a shot too. It still felt like h*** at insertion.) Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
Apr 26, 2011
11:50 pm PDT

Re: I HATE MY PARAGARD...
by shorg6
ok so i had the paragard put in around 1pm today and ive had severe cramping ever since (its been about 9 hrs) i almost wanted to go to the hospital but im also known for being really sensitive to pain. I feel like im severely constipated with severe period cramps. I do have my period i got it 3 days ago but only had heavy bleeding the first day. Ever since i got off the pill a year ago my periods have been short and not heavy at all like they were before i started the pill years ago. I stopped because i got fat and was depressed all the time. I use condoms but kept gettin yeast infections so thats when i decided to get paragard. If this cramping is still as severe as it is right now i am considering getting it out ASAP. I cannot tolerate pain like this. Since yours lasted a whole month i really am not sure if i want to keep this in. Ibuprofen did not work at all and im pretty sure they did not knumb me at all while inserting because it was extremely painful and still is!!! i've never had kids and im 21 so maybe thats why it hurts so bad...
Apr 12, 2011
6:49 pm PDT

I HATE MY PARAGARD...
by laceysmommy08
I had paragard put in june 2010...right after they put it in i had immediate cramping BADDD cramping at that and it didnt go away till my period next month. my period was heavier and more painful then ever. Its now april 2011 and the cramps are still as bad but i hardly bleed...so i get paranoid bc for the past yr i bleed heavy. so i dont know if my body is getting use to the paragard or if im pregnant and still get a period? i took a pregnancy test 3 months ago and it was NEG THANK GOD. So if Anyone had this experiance please email me or comment on this and let me know. i havent gone back to the drs yet im due to go back in June.
Apr 7, 2011
12:38 pm PDT

The insertion was a piece of cake!!!
by gangsterreina
Hello. I just got my ParaGard IUD inserted earlier today, (3/7/11) around 1:15 pm. I read horror stories and I was so nervous, I almost threw up this morning. The best advice that I can give is to NOT listen to anyone else's experience and note that everyone's experience is different! I thought I was going to be doubled over in pain all day. Well, everything I read was the complete OPPOSITE of what I experienced!

It is advised to take 800 mg of ibuprofen/advil a half an hour before your appointment. My doctor numbed my cervix and inserted another shot of Novocaine toward the outside of my vagina. I didn't feel a thing!! It was great! It felt like just a regular pap smear and that was it. Keep in mind that I gave birth almost 11 months ago. For someone that has not had children, you could have a much different experience than myself. I have been on BCP for years. I just couldn't handle the hormones anymore. I wanted to try the Mirena but the progesterone is what causes mood swings/irritability. Which was exactly what my problem was. I was SO moody, my boyfriend of 3 years was ready to leave me because I was unbearable.

So far so good with the ParaGard! The insertion was nothing like I thought it was going to be. I couldn't even feel it afterward. I went to the gym 3 hours after I got home! So please, do not take others comments to heart. Every woman is different♥
Mar 7, 2011
8:57 pm PST

I love my IUD
by heather2020
I have only had my IUD for about 5 days now... but I love it. I have been on birth control for 3 1/2 years, most of the time pills but I have tried the patch and the ring. Most recently, I was taking Necon birth control pills and I was feeling moody everyday (even my bf said something needed to change because I was too moody) and I was unhappy with everything. Nothing could make me happy. I gained about 20 pounds during the 5 months I was on Necon, even tho I cut down my sugar intake, cut down my soda from 1 or 2 a day to 1 every couple of weeks, and started working out. No matter what I did I kept gaining weight. So finally, I decided I needed a change and it needed to be non-hormonal. I talked to my midwife and she warned me that it would be painful because I have never had a child but I didn't care, the pain would be worth it. She gave me misoprostol, a pill to make the cervix relax, told me to take ibprofuen before I go in for the insertion and told me to come back during my period. I did all those things and the insertion is very quick but not painless. For me, it was like 3 jabs that progressively got worse but I breathed thru it and was able to stay relaxed. I got up, got dressed, then felt like I was going to pass out, but apparently it happens often. I am glad my bf was able to take me because I would not have been up to driving. I recommend you have someone take you because it is better to be safe. I did have cramping the first 24 hours but my heating pad and ibprofuen took care of that. Make sure to take the pills right when you start to feel the cramping to avoid any further pain. I love my IUD, I am just so much happier now. I feel more protected against unplanned pregnancy and I don't have all the hormones going into my body everyday like before. I am hoping I will start dropping the weight soon too!
Nov 23, 2010
10:15 am PST

I love my Paragard IUD!
by ambrina8
I have had my Paragard IUD for six days. The insertion was uncomfortable, but just for two minutes or so. Afterwards, I had slight cramping so took an Advil. The day I had my IUD placed I had football playoffs for my intramural team. My IUD was inserted at 2:00 in the afternoon and I played 3 consecutive games of football beginning at 6:00 p.m. No cramps, extra bleeding (beyond what I expect on my normal period), etc.

I took Loestrin for about a year or so and experienced problems including weight gain, headaches, etc. I'm 28 years old and my boyfriend and I agree that we want to have children when we are married and in about 5 years or so--this has been the best decision.
Aug 19, 2010
4:42 am PDT

Just got IUD out after 11 years
by paragard11yrs
I did a lot of research before choosing the paragard IUD before I got married more than 11 years ago at the age of 19. I had never had a child but after a consultation with my OBGYN I was given the go ahead to get it.

The pain at insertion was surprising to say the least and it took a few months to get my cycle back to normal. Well, normal for having a foreign object in my uterus. I did have heavier periods that lasted 8 to 10 days as opposed to 4 days and my cramps were a bit more severe. I also swear I could feel it in there if I sneezed sometimes. Just a little "ouch". The strings disapeared about 2 years in but after an ultrasound they found that the strings had just curled up in the cervix but that the IUD was still in place. They said not to worry about it and my husband was glad because he could feel the strings during intercorse and didn't like it.

However, the positives FAR outway the negatives. It was great to be able to be completly spontaneous in the bedroom and I'm glad that I have never had to mess with my hormones. All of my sisters and my mother had major side effects from The Pill and I did not want to ever have to go through that mess. I think most birth control is made to torture women for the benefit of men anyway.

After 11 years, I decided to have my IUD removed so we could finally start a family. The removal procedure was no big deal. I took two ibuprofin and had no pain. The next month, my period is back to 4 days and I am assured by my doctor there should be no problem conceiving a child. I thought I would have a little grace period in that department but "whatever will be, will be" On with the mess of child birth! But that's a whole other story ALL TOGETHER...

I will most definitly get the Paragard IUD again! I think it will be the only kind of birth control I will ever use.
Nov 27, 2009
7:50 am PST

controlling initial IUD side effects
by stefm11
i'm a relatively new IUD user (paraguard), and i had a rough first month (cramps, spotting) with a super intense first period (very heavy bleeding, major cramps), but i'm now on a mission to share with all prospective IUD users one word that might change your life: ibuprofen. yes, specifically ibuprofen, not any other pain reliever.

when my period came, after 5 days of heavy bleeding and unbearable cramps with no end in sight, i followed someone else's recommendation and started taking ibuprofen as recommended on the bottle. i had been taking other over-the-counter pain relievers without much effect, so the difference with ibuprofen was substantial. seriously, within the first dose the bleeding was significantly lighter and within 24 hours of regular doses my period was done. i continued taking the recommended dose for a few more days, and i have had zero spotting or cramping since then.

apparently, the reason why ibuprofen works so well is that you're not just having a regular period at first -- your body realizes there's a foreign object in there and the uterus becomes inflamed and produces excess fluid. ibuprofen is particularly good at reducing inflammation (compared to other pain relievers), and something about its specific chemical structure works especially well in the uterus.

now, DO check with your doctor before self-medicating, and definitely don't keep taking ibuprofen over the long term without consulting a professional. my doctor told me that many people have heavy periods for the first couple of months while the body adjusts to the IUD, but that it should go back to normal over time, so if you keep having pain/discomfort over an extended time, definitely give your doc a call. however, to help control that initial inflammation and get you feeling back to normal more quickly, ibuprofen made an ENORMOUS difference for me.

now i love my IUD!
Oct 27, 2009
6:20 pm PDT

so far so good
by loui83
I just got my IUD inserted earlier today. I had done my research and even though i was scared of the side effects of this BC (uterine perforation and ectopic pregnancy, pregnancy) i still wanted to go through with it, i was done with HORMONES!
I had my appt earlier today, i took 2 Advil before my appt, it felt like a sharp cramp when they were measuring my uterus and then again a cramp and then again one more time, none of the cramps lasted longer than 5 seconds. I got right out and even went to the store afterward, with no inconvenience. I am on my period so i am bleeding, nothing out of this world yet. I was advised to use a back up method for a week and then A OK. I am 25 and have never had a kid so my OB was scared it wouldn't fit, but it did, and ill go in for my check up in 6 weeks, hopefully everything stays cool for now.
Oh yeah i should also mention that i am not a heavy cramper or bleeder during my normal periods, just fyi.
Oct 16, 2009
5:02 pm PDT

You won't regret it!
by ltonka
I got my ParaGard IUD after the birth of my second child when I was 34.(I'm 39 now.) I knew not only that I didn't want to have a crazy moment where I would say "I want another baby!" and suddenly stop taking the pill. Two kids are plenty for me. But I did want a reversible method which didn't involve daily doses of hormones. The insertion was no big deal, certainly easier than having a baby! My periods are heavy, but the trade-off is worth it. I would say get ParaGard if you already have kids, or get the Mirena if you are younger and can tolerate the hormones, as your period will be a lot lighter, from what my friends say. I recommend it to anyone, I've had mine 5 years, and it's been working like a champ!
Sep 24, 2009
7:00 pm PDT

You won't regret it!
by ltonka
I got my Mirena IUD after the birth of my second child when I was 34.(I'm 39 now.) I knew not only that I didn't want to have a crazy moment where I would say "I want another baby!" and suddenly stop taking the pill. Two kids are plenty for me. But I did want a reversible method which didn't involve daily doses of hormones. The insertion was no big deal, certainly easier than having a baby! My periods are heavy, but the trade-off is worth it. I would say get Mirena if you already have kids, or get the Paraguard if you are younger and can tolerate the hormones, as your period will be a lot lighter, from what my friends say. I recommend it to anyone, I've had mine 5 years, and it's been working like a champ!
Sep 24, 2009
6:55 pm PDT

Just Got Pragard
by suzysoule
I had Paragard placed yesterday and have had significant cramping. I took 800 mg of Advil which did little to help. I did not expect this at all. But I am also due to get my period.

My husband suggested a glass of wine and this worked wonderfully. I finally was getting relieve from the constant pain. I am back at work today and if I could, I would have brought a small bottle of wine with me to sip during the day. For some reason the wine worked very well at calming the muscle spasm.

I switched to the IUD because I also had a lot of trouble with hormonal birth control. I had gained significant weight, had frequent infections, and vaginal pain and sensitivity with birth control. I went off it for a few years and lost 20 lbs in 2 months and felt great.

I was recently married and went back on the pill, within a few months I had gained 30 lb and started noticing the same symptoms I had when I was on the pill before.

Paragard seemed to be my only option to get away from the hormone altering medications. I am excited to be able to regain my normal weight, emotional stability and general healthy feeling I get being off the pill.

I absolutely hate what hormone altering medications do to my body! I am glad there is an option like Paragard!
Mar 5, 2009
7:34 am PST

Less painful insertion technique if you can find someone to do it!
by violetsiva
I love the IUD. Unfortunately the Paragard IUD wasn't for me. I have never had children, so my insertion experience was probably a little worse than most, but it was fairly quick and the cramping died down in six hours. I had constant bleeding for several months straight, which is why I had it replaced with the Mirena IUD today.

My nurse practitioner tried a new method of IUD insertion on me this time around where she used anesthetic before even pulling out my old one. I had moderate cramping when the anesthetic was being used, but felt mild cramping during the majority of the procedure. About five hours later I felt good enough to walk the dog, which was a drastic change from my initial IUD experience, where I just laid in bed all day until the cramping stopped. I must say, I felt very relieved when it was over, so much so that my nurse practitioner commented on how calm I seemed afterwards. I couldn't believe how much better it was than the traditional IUD insertion I had experienced the first time.
Aug 27, 2008
9:27 pm PDT

Just got a Paragard
by margocl1
I had looked extensively into IUDs and was so done with the pill. It drives me nuts that people think these hormones don't do anything major to people. I feel so much better off the pill and dropped 5 lbs right away when I stopped taking it. So, that brings me to choosing the Paragard instead of the Mirena. The whole insertion procedure was not too comfortable, but went pretty quickly. Driving home though, I felt awful and lightheaded. I also am cramping and bleeding. I am hoping that the cramping really does get better because all I can do right now is just lay on the couch. I am frustrated that there are not more male options in terms of birth control. Sigh. For now though, if the cramping gets better and this Paragard lives up to the positive reviews I've heard, this discomfort should be worth it.
Aug 4, 2008
1:31 pm PDT

Just had mine put in....
by clintsmom
And it was very quick but a little painful. It felt like 3 quick stabs with a cramp and it stung but the thing is I knew the pain wasn't going to last long. It is now 2 hours later. I am spotting slightly but no real cramps to complain about. The 3 stabbing pains were due to the fact that they measure from the top of your uterine wall to the cervix and when they touch the uterine wall it kind of hurts and when they insert it they touch the wall again a couple times so it hurts again. But then it is over!
Jul 17, 2008
1:34 pm PDT

9 year Paraguard user
by busymomofboys
I am about to have my Paraguard replaced with another.
Mine was inserted over 9 years ago. I am now 41 and getting a second Paraguard to carry me through menopause.
Paraguard has been wonderful for me. Nothing to think about, remember or scrips to pickup every month.
I have had no side effects other spotting the first couple of months after insertion.
Jun 28, 2008
10:07 am PDT

IUD Cramping?
by fyrewede
I also went with the Paragard (note: there's no "U" in the name (grin)) IUD and I seem to be experiencing more crampiness than everyone else, though I suspect this is because he put it in the day before my period started, so I had the (ahem) pleasure of having my uterus poked around in (really uncomfortable), the IUD inserted (also uncomfortable, but less so than when he took the measurement), and period cramps (which for me are not usually that bad) all at the same time. I was fine for about the first 24 hours after the appointment, but once my period started it was all downhill. I had to take today off from work because the cramps last night and this morning were unbearable (though fortunately they seem to come and go quickly).

I was on the pill for over a decade but I suspect it caused some other medical problems I had with both of my pregnancies (gestational ITP and a cervix that wouldn't dilate during labor BOTH TIMES), so I'll never take hormones again. I think male-dominated Big Pharma is way to cavalier about the crap its willing to put into our bodies just so they don't have to worry about getting us pregnant. Every time anyone comes close to producing a "male birth control pill" it's immediately quashed. Funny that...
What's good for the goose is apparently undesirable to the gander.

I'm starting to feel a little better now, 2 days post-insertion -- I suspect my period cramps are starting to subside somewhat and my body is beginning to adjust to this foreign object. I really hope it improves because I do not want to have to deal with birth control again if I can help it.

Anyone else experience a lot of crampiness in the few days following insertion?
Jan 5, 2007
10:11 am PST

Paraguard gets my vote... :)
by katnapper1966
I've had the Paraguard copper IUD in for over 5 months now. All things considered, I'm very satisfied with it.

The only negative thing I can say about it is the side effect of heavier and longer periods. My periods used to be fairly light and last about 4 days. Since I've had the IUD, they are noticeably heavier and last about 10 days. I do have occasional very slight cramping now, which I never had before; but it's nothing I even have to take pain relievers for.

I'm hoping the length/heaviness of my periods will decrease with time, as my body adjusts to the IUD. But even if it continues as now, I'd still choose the Paraguard if I had to do it over. The advantages of overall long term cost, hassle-free protection and spontaneity, without the side effects of hormones, greatly outweighs the minor inconveniences of longer, heavier periods.

I chose Paraguard over Minera because I don't want the hormonal side effects. Several years ago, I was on Deprovera shots for 9 months (3 shots) and gained 50 pounds during that time. It has taken me over 3 years to return to my pre-Deprovera weight. Although they "say" Depo doesn't cause weight gain, I know it did for me. And my Dr. told me the hormones in the Minera IUD are basically the same as those in Depo. Also, my libido was nil during that time, and I think the hormones had something to do with that too. I didn't want to risk any hormonal side effects.

The IUD insertion wasn't pain free, but it wasn't that bad either, and fairly quick. They now say you can keep the Paraguard in for up to 12 years. Barring any complications, I shouldn't have to worry about contraception ever again (I'm 40). I would definitely recommend Paraguard.

Feb 9, 2006
8:49 pm PST

Paraguard gets my vote... :)
by katnapper1966

Feb 9, 2006
8:40 pm PST

Nice to See This
by annigirl
I just got the paragard copper IUD inserted about a week ago, before reading your story. I found the article by doing a google search on the subject because I do like to be well informed with what I'm putting into my body. Thanks! It was very reassuring and my brief experience with it has been positive too. I had some mild cramping the first day but, like you said, easily managed. Also, the brief discomfort of having it put in and a little mild cramping afterward is a small price to pay for years of protection.

I researched a lot of birth control options. I married and I am not planning on having another baby for awhile so I wanted something I could live with happily for a long time. This just made so much sense. I've read a lot of women's health books that describe so many problems women have from messing around with their hormones and I didn't want to do that. Anyway, good for you for spreading the word and going out on a limb to discuss a very important issue, women's health and needs!
Jan 20, 2004
5:06 pm PST

Great Information
by kraynikba
I searched the net for info on IUDs and all I found was medical reports and such. It was great to see an article that covered the normal questions someone would have on the subject.
Feb 27, 2003
10:27 pm PST

Thank you!
by ladylynn
Your "review" helped me tremendously. Switching from the pill to the IUD is an idea I've been toying with, and after your review (and some other research) I've decided to make the request at my annual later today!

Lynn

Dec 7, 2001
11:39 am PST

Excellent information
by Lisa_J
provided that is certain to help those who are looking at options. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa_J
Nov 16, 2001
5:46 pm PST

Re: you are an amazing writer...
by sampo24
Thank you! That's high praise, indeed...
Aug 28, 2000