Birth Control Birth Control

Birth Control

69 consumer reviews

Forget to take my Pill? Not on your life!

Apr 15, 2000

Pros:99% effective when taken correctly, and regulates the irregular

Cons:have to remember to take them every single day

I am one of the most forgetful people on the face of this planet. But one thing I never forget to do is take my Ortho Tri-Cyclen every single morning. Think about it - for two years, I haven't forgotten even once.

"When taken correctly, it's over 99% effective.

What's so great about Ortho Tri-Cyclen? You've seen the commercials. You know, the one with the woman who wants to have three kids and move to Paris and the one with the three friends all on the same pill. How can you beat 99% effective? The only way to do it is to completely abstain from having sex at all. Sure - "when taken correctly" sounds like a catch - but when it's something as important as this, you remember and you follow directions.

How to remember to take it daily

Every morning, one of the very first things I do is go to the kitchen to get a drink so I can take my pill. If you make it part of your morning routine, you can't go wrong. I keep my pill packet right on the desk (next to my computer) where I will be sure to see it. Taking the pill actually makes me remember to take my multivitamins. (I choose not to take the inactive fourth-week pills. But I still never forget to restart them on Sunday. As a matter of fact, I'll actually forget to take my multivitamins for this entire fourth week because I'm not swallowing the other pills. But I never forget to start a new pack on Sunday.)

Does it really clear up your skin?

Not for me. It may work for some people, the ones who may have been blessed with a total of three blemishes over their entire period of adolescence. But this stuff doesn't even touch my skin. I still rely on my arsenal of skin cleansing supplies to take care of that. But I'm not taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for my face. I'm taking it to make sure I don't get pregnant.

It is a very personal choice.

First and foremost, I take Ortho Tri-Cyclen to prevent pregnancy. I'm getting married in October 2000, and we want to hold off having kids for a little while so we can enjoy just being married for a little while. Don't get me wrong, I do want to have kids. We've already picked out their names. But with everything else going on, it's just not the right time. I also like the regularity the pill gives me. I used to be highly irregular. My period would last 7 or more days, and I would get it every two to three weeks. What a relief to know when it's coming every 28 days and know it's only going to last a few days!

Do I recommend this to others?

Yes! If you are in a monogamous relationship where you don't have to worry about STDs and the like (in which case I would recommend using condoms as birth control), I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about Ortho Tri-Cyclen. This stuff is like a miracle drug for me. I would also recommend it as a "back up" for condoms, as well, to be used as a secondary line of protection if you happen to rely on condoms - because condoms have been known to break. I would even recommend Ortho Tri-Cyclen to women who are not sexually active but who have irregular menstrual cycles. This stuff regulates you like clockwork if you take it at the same time every day. (As a Sunday starter, I almost always start my period on the Tuesday of my fourth week of pills.) Ortho Tri-Cyclen is my first choice for birth control, and maybe it could be yours, too.