Birth Control Birth Control

Birth Control

ratings (69 Epinions reviews)

Depo-provera--awful

Dec 28, 1999

Pros:you think about it four times a year

Cons:can cause infertility, and length in pregnancy acheivement

Depo-Provera is not the wonder birth control that everyone seems to think it is. Either way, I gained significant weight while being on depo. When I was first given depo-provera, I thought what a wonderful idea it was. Something that I didn’t have to worry about taking every single day. I as 20 years old and had already had a son when I was 18. I did not want to get pregnant again until I was married. I stopped taking depo due to lack of health insurance, but when my boyfriend and I got together (now husband) I got back on. That was in October of 1997. Everything was fine, I had no period (normal while on depo), which of course I did not mind one bit. Then after my second shot, I started to bleed. Finding this odd, I went to the doctor and she said it was normal. My bleeding did not stop for four months. I bled through a tampon and pad every 2 hours for that whole four months. During that time, I was given every hormone, medication and testing to get me to “stop bleeding”. Thus resulting in the weight gain of about 70 pounds and me looking like I was 9 months pregnant. It was extremely embarrassing to be asked when my baby was due, when I was not pregnant at all. Talk about making me mad. Not to mention the lack of sexual interest I had because of the depo and bleeding.

Besides the constant headaches I had, depression and so on, my sex drive was completely lost, and I was a totally evil to new fiancée, I am surprised that he married me. I have been off depo since October of 1998. My mood swings have finally gone away and I am now back to my normal self as far as my attitude. Now, my husband and I are married and are trying to conceive a child. Needless to say, I found out that it will definitely take us some time. From what I have discovered, it will take me anywhere from 6 months to 4 years to become pregnant. Upjohn Pharmaceuticals failed to mention in their leaflets that the chances of conceiving a child shortly after depo are pretty slim. There was never a mention of anything to me. Especially the fact that ovulation gets screwed up as well as everything else.

I am currently involved in a support group so to speak for women who are trying to conceive a child after being off depo. There are woman in there who understand what we are going through, woman who have been trying to conceive for years, and some who are just beginning and who are realizing just how messed up their bodies have become. I am now charting my cycles in order to figure out if I ovulate or not. Most of the time I don’t.

I am working in order to get depo either taken off the market, or at the very least, women being told the truth about what depo can and will do to them. The information that Upjohn gives is inadequate and not in the least bit accurate. Women should be told that their chances of conceiving could be greatly reduced. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have never taken depo. I would have stuck with condoms or the pill. Never again will I be on depo-provera or recommend it to anyone I know.