Home > Message Boards > Home & Garden > General Remodeling > Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Painted over Wallpaper Glue
Posts on this Topic   Search in General Remodeling   
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts      
Hide member images Print     Start a new topic     Post a Reply
     
laura734 Original Post: Jan 01 '07,  9:07 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Nov 22, 2003

Post: 97351
Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Not long ago we moved into our house and I tried to repaint one of the bedrooms and found the paint was not sticking to the wall. After a closer look it appears that the previous owners painted over wallpaper glue. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this mess? Please help. Thanks in advance

     
pvreditor Posted: Jan 02 '07,  7:51 am (Updated: Jan 02 '07,  6:08 pm)           Reply
Reviews written: 427
Member since: May 31, 2002

moderator in Cars, Musical Equipment, Home & Garden
Post: 97383
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Quote: laura734
Not long ago we moved into our house and I tried to repaint one of the bedrooms and found the paint was not sticking to the wall. After a closer look it appears that the previous owners painted over wallpaper glue. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this mess? Please help. Thanks in advance

Do you just want paint to stick to it or do you want to remove the glue? If you want to remove the glue, probably the best thing at this point is to sand it off. Sanding is aways hard, messy work... be sure to cover anything you want to protect from dust. You could try some wallpaper paste remover but it might have limited effectiveness because of the paint covering the glue.

If you want to just paint over the paste, go to a Lowes or Home Depot and look at the Zinzer paint. See if it says that it can be painted over adhesives such as wallpaper paste. I've had excellent luck with Zinzer covering just about anything, and then you can paint over the Zinzer to the color you want.

Good luck!

--Bob
     
laura734 Posted: Jan 02 '07,  4:11 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Nov 22, 2003

Post: 97561
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Thanks Bob for your suggestion. I am going to look for the Zinzer paint and see how that works.

Thanks again, Laura

     
laura734 Posted: Jan 04 '07,  1:34 am           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Nov 22, 2003

Post: 98059
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

I contacted Zinsser.com and asked them directly which of their products would work on painted over glue. Below is the response that I received and wanted to share in case someone else runs across the same problem.

"We would suggest cleaning the surface well and applying either our Gardz High Performance Sealer, Cover Stain Primer Sealer or Bulls Eye Odorless Primer Sealer. Topcoat with the quality water or oil based paint of your choice."

Thanks again Bob for directing me to Zinsser.

Laura

     
lorace Posted: Jan 04 '07,  9:43 am           Reply
Reviews written: 277
Member since: Jun 5, 2001

moderator in Home & Garden
Post: 98136
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

I never dreamed there could be a remedy for a problem like this one was.

Great work, Bob. I'm glad, also, to know about this in case I ever need it.

Laura, I'm so glad your problem got solved and hope you'll be back, but not with a problem. ha

Lorace

     
gamblin_man Posted: Jan 04 '07,  10:13 am           Reply
Reviews written: 358
Member since: Apr 8, 2001

moderator in Home & Garden
Post: 98164
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Quote: laura734
I contacted Zinsser.com and asked them directly which of their products would work on painted over glue. Below is the response that I received and wanted to share in case someone else runs across the same problem.

"We would suggest cleaning the surface well and applying either our Gardz High Performance Sealer, Cover Stain Primer Sealer or Bulls Eye Odorless Primer Sealer. Topcoat with the quality water or oil based paint of your choice."

Thanks again Bob for directing me to Zinsser.

Laura

Thank you so much for taking the time to report your results.

Zinsser is well known by painters and most carry a few of their products to handle various problems from glue to crayon and grease when they repaint.

If someone wants to protect their painting time and cost, they will be well served to consider carefully wiping down surfaces, looking for anything that appears to be a stain, lightly sanding that area with fine sandpaper, and then coating it first with a shellac based product like Zinsser. For stains that appear to be "bleeding" out through whatever is already on the wall, two coats is recommended. If a primer is to be used, do the coverup before priming.

One warning. If the stain happens to be alcohol based (not likely unless it is a new stain) or water based, shellac products are not the best choice. For these stains use a spray can of a polyurethane for a light coat, let it dry, and then sand it lightly so it will have some tooth to hold the overcoat.

Larry
     
wildhorses7 Posted: Mar 18 '08,  4:33 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Mar 18, 2008

Post: 176640
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

I had the same problem and after much research found the same answers as given here previously. As the paint problem was throughout my entire house I did not want to have to sand. I had noticed the problem initially when I tried to paint and the paint bubbled then peeled off when I scraped it.

I contacted Sherwinn-Williams and they sent someone out to look at it and told me the walls had been painted with a latex paint over wallpaper paste. They recommended sanding then washing thoroughly. As I said, I did NOT want to have the sanding mess. I decided to try steaming. I called a rental company and their professional steamers rented for $70/day. Knowing it would take me MANY days to steam the entire house I resorted to using my own steamer used for steaming wrinkles out of clothes (I paid $35.00 for it). It did the job. It was still very messy and tedious but I could do it at my own pace.

The process I used was to first cover the flooring with dropcloth. I tore strips of newspaper and attached them to the baseboards with painters tape to protect them. The steamer is a floor model with a 5ft. steam hose. I ran the steam over the paint just until it loosened and was able to peel large sheets of paint off. There was still "scraps" of paint left to scrape with a putty knife, but it seemed so much easier than sanding would have been.

After removing all the paint, I SCRUBBED the walls. On the advice of a professional painter, I scrubbed them three times to be sure the paste was completely gone. He said that even though it looks like you've cleaned the wall of the paste, there is still a film that will bleed through when you paint over. This was the most difficult part of the job as the paste was like dried mud. I wore out several towels washing those walls.

I realize the original post was a few years ago, but I hope this will help someone else dealing with this problem.

     
pvreditor Posted: Mar 18 '08,  5:14 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 427
Member since: May 31, 2002

moderator in Cars, Musical Equipment, Home & Garden
Post: 176643
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Thanks for taking the time to report on how you fixed your problem... I'm sure it will help a few people.

--Bob

     
axaroth2003 Posted: Mar 31 '08,  1:38 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Mar 31, 2008

Post: 178102
RE: Painted over Wallpaper Glue

Here is the product from Zinsser which covers old wallpaper adhesive, or can be used directly on the cardboard of your drywall to help stick it down. Often when you take down really bad wallpaper it will pull the paper part of the drywall off and you need a way to repair it.

It's called Zinsser Gardz.

http://zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=27

     
justin_c Posted: Aug 09 '08,  1:46 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Aug 9, 2008

Post: 198042
Adhesive left by self-stick tiles

After I removed some self-stick tiles of a wall of mine, I encountered the most annoying problem, the tiles had left behind their adhesive. I tried to rub it off with my hand at first, it worked but ruined my hand. Next I tried goof-off and a scour pad- didn't work very well. Since the wall was only about 8x8 I decided to just give a light sand to remove any loose material and then applied a skim of drywall mud. I found this worked the best and fastest. I used a 6 inch drywall knife to speed up the process. Let it dry and sanded it smooth. Worked like a charm. Hope this is helpful to anyone with a similar problem.

     
pvreditor Posted: Aug 10 '08,  12:19 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 427
Member since: May 31, 2002

moderator in Cars, Musical Equipment, Home & Garden
Post: 198136
RE: Adhesive left by self-stick tiles

Quote: justin_c
After I removed some self-stick tiles of a wall of mine, I encountered the most annoying problem, the tiles had left behind their adhesive. I tried to rub it off with my hand at first, it worked but ruined my hand. Next I tried goof-off and a scour pad- didn't work very well. Since the wall was only about 8x8 I decided to just give a light sand to remove any loose material and then applied a skim of drywall mud. I found this worked the best and fastest. I used a 6 inch drywall knife to speed up the process. Let it dry and sanded it smooth. Worked like a charm. Hope this is helpful to anyone with a similar problem.

Thanks for the tip!

--Bob
     
kefrank999 Posted: Oct 20 '08,  7:22 am           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Oct 20, 2008

Post: 206257
Did not get all the glue off

I removed wallpaper and cleaned the walls thinking I had removed all of the glue (or sizing). After painting I have discoloration patches throughout the entire project. I suspect I did not get all the glue. I am willing to repaint but I do not want to sand. Can you help?

     
pvreditor Posted: Oct 20 '08,  7:42 am           Reply
Reviews written: 427
Member since: May 31, 2002

moderator in Cars, Musical Equipment, Home & Garden
Post: 206259
RE: Did not get all the glue off

Quote: kefrank999
I removed wallpaper and cleaned the walls thinking I had removed all of the glue (or sizing). After painting I have discoloration patches throughout the entire project. I suspect I did not get all the glue. I am willing to repaint but I do not want to sand. Can you help?

Try painting first with Zinsser or Kilz as a primer. Either of those two paints can seal the surface and keep stains, etc. from bleeding through. Talk to someone at a paint store about it and go with his/her advice.

Good luck!

--Bob
     
myraleigh77 Posted: Jul 26 '10,  1:04 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Jul 26, 2010

Post: 259077
Kilz covering wallpaper???

My husband and I are renting a house therefore don't want to put in the time and effort of stripping wallpaper. We were told by home depot that Kilz Oil based paint would cover and make the wallpaper stick and not pull off. However when I tested a spot it didn't cover very well at all. So my question is would it cover with 2 coats??? Or more??? And the other annoying thing is the owner put a border on top of the wallpaper so there is this line where the border ends. I am almost tempted to just buy a new border and put it up b/c this is a never ending nightmare. We didn't pay a deposit upon moving in so we didn't mind spending a little money to make our place more modern but we have reached our threshold. Thanks!!!

     
rudixeno Posted: Aug 06 '10,  6:13 am           Reply
Reviews written: 371
Member since: Nov 14, 2005

moderator in Home & Garden
Post: 259870
RE: Kilz covering wallpaper???

Quote: myraleigh77
My husband and I are renting a house therefore don't want to put in the time and effort of stripping wallpaper. We were told by home depot that Kilz Oil based paint would cover and make the wallpaper stick and not pull off. However when I tested a spot it didn't cover very well at all. So my question is would it cover with 2 coats??? Or more??? And the other annoying thing is the owner put a border on top of the wallpaper so there is this line where the border ends. I am almost tempted to just buy a new border and put it up b/c this is a never ending nightmare. We didn't pay a deposit upon moving in so we didn't mind spending a little money to make our place more modern but we have reached our threshold. Thanks!!!


You'll get a better result if you apply an oil-based sealer/primer to the paper first. Then two coats of a finishing paint should do the job. One problem will remain. Any seams in the wallpaper will still be visible. In fact they may be even more visible since you won't have the wallpaper's pattern to help distract attention from them. If you're planning on staying in the house for some time yet, stripping the wallpaper first will be preferable. With a scoring tool and and a few bottles of Formula 409 All Purpose Cleaner, stripping isn't as difficult as you might think.

Rudi
     
hg1948 Posted: Apr 26 '11,  12:00 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 0
Member since: Apr 26, 2011

Post: 275600
painting over bleeding adhesive

There was a number of ideas here using zinsser sealer, but i did not see one for someone who used it successfully. If you have used this successfully to cover bleeding adhesive can you email me, or post a message thanks

Hide member images Print     Start a new topic     Post a Reply
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts      
Return to top