Home > Message Boards > Movies > General Movies > Acclaimed movies we don't like

Acclaimed movies we don't like
Posts on this Topic   Search in General Movies   
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts      
Hide member images Print     Start a new topic     Post a Reply
     
eplovejoy Original Post: Dec 11 '11,  12:50 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 5
Member since: Dec 13, 2000

Post: 288357
Acclaimed movies we don't like

The U.S. soldiers in The Dirty Dozen set fire to their enemies, which is what the Nazis did.

In Bringing Up Baby Katharine Hepburn plays a recidivist car thief who hits her friend in the head with rock, leaving him unconscious and possibly dead. She doesn't check to see if he's breathing.

The would-be thriller The Parallax View is mostly about Warren Beatty driving a golf cart around a big banquet hall.

What celebrated movies do you think do not deserve their applause?

     
shopaholic_man Posted: Dec 11 '11,  1:19 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 1534
Member since: Feb 15, 2004

moderator in Movies
Post: 288360
RE: Acclaimed movies we don't like

Quote: eplovejoy
The U.S. soldiers in The Dirty Dozen set fire to their enemies, which is what the Nazis did.

In Bringing Up Baby Katharine Hepburn plays a recidivist car thief who hits her friend in the head with rock, leaving him unconscious and possibly dead. She doesn't check to see if he's breathing.

The would-be thriller The Parallax View is mostly about Warren Beatty driving a golf cart around a big banquet hall.

What celebrated movies do you think do not deserve their applause?


Citizen Kane! That movie bores me to tears. Rosebud! Big deal, it's a dull movie that ends with a crane shot zoom out and a rich guy that misses his sled.
     
ChrisJarmick Posted: Dec 11 '11,  2:01 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 1268
Member since: Jul 19, 2000

Post: 288364
SURE

I've got a couple of over-rated reviews that list several candidates.

and there are...

Shawshank Redemption a good movie but it sure isn't a great one and it steals from many better movies before it.

Don't get me started on the various versions of Bladerunner though they sometimes improve the truly dopey voice over of the original theatrical version.

English Patient = UGH....

     
captaind Posted: Dec 12 '11,  2:49 am           Reply
Reviews written: 1248
Member since: Jan 19, 2003

moderator in Movies
Post: 288387
RE: SURE

La Dolce Vita... I'm sorry but I just couldn't st through this, I actually fell asleep half-way through...

     
eplovejoy Posted: Dec 12 '11,  11:36 am           Reply
Reviews written: 5
Member since: Dec 13, 2000

Post: 288418
RE: SURE

Quote: captaind
La Dolce Vita... I'm sorry but I just couldn't st through this, I actually fell asleep half-way through...


No need to aplogize, at least not to me. This one seems a prime example of movies that have not aged well. When what was once "decadence" comes off instead as quaint, it's boring.
     
phungus Posted: Dec 12 '11,  2:09 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 2918
Member since: Aug 31, 1999

Post: 288436
RE: SURE

American Beauty - I got it. I didn't get the praise for it.

Black Swan - Not impressed.

Crashing Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Fast forward to the fight scenes.

Crash - Best picture? No way.

The Hurt Locker - OK movie, but not Best picture by a long shot.

Anything made by Lars von Trier.

     
captaind Posted: Dec 13 '11,  7:48 am           Reply
Reviews written: 1248
Member since: Jan 19, 2003

moderator in Movies
Post: 288478
RE: SURE

Forget the fight scenes, you can fast forward all of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon!

     
Stephen_Murray Posted: Dec 23 '11,  11:57 am           Reply
Reviews written: 3855
Member since: Jun 21, 2000

Post: 288973
RE: SURE

Definitely "Black Swan" and "Crash," plus "Ben Hur," "Forrest Gump," and "Woman of the Year."

And the mission of incinerating civilians has always bothered me about "The Dirty Dozen" (and, to a degree, the fecklessness of Katharine Hepburn's screwball comedies, not just BUB.

     
TheUnknown285 Posted: Jan 04 '12,  1:19 pm           Reply
Reviews written: 167
Member since: Jun 5, 2000

Post: 289431
RE: Acclaimed movies we don't like

Quote: shopaholic_man
Citizen Kane! That movie bores me to tears. Rosebud! Big deal, it's a dull movie that ends with a crane shot zoom out and a rich guy that misses his sled.


Amen! I'm tempted to add you to me WoT just for that.
Hide member images Print     Start a new topic     Post a Reply
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts      
Return to top