alive with personality!

Oct 15, 2000

Pros:her voice, her talent, her personality

Cons:a bit too much talking

For all the fans of Ms Streisand, I was surprised to see only one other review posted on this album. Personally, I am not a major fan of "live recordings" but I do make exceptions. In fact, this is the fourth "live" recording of hers that I purchased! Her first one was over 30 years ago with A Happening in Central Park - which is a wonderful album.

Although her range may not be what it was 25 years ago or the ability to sustain those high notes for such a long time a bit shorter, she is still a remarkable and very talented singer.

I enjoyed the other review very much and agree with it very much. The review said sometimes there is a bit too much chat on the album. Sure, I don't mind chit-chat on occasion, but please put it on a separate track so I can fast forward or skip it. I want to hear the singing.

First, let me explain why I bought the album: I couldn't afford the hundreds of dollars for her concerts plain and simple and this was a very inexpensive (yet permanent) version of the concert. And yes I am very pleased with the album. The first time I listened to it, I enjoyed the chat very much. After the second or third time, it did get on my nerves but just a bit.

There is a great personal immediacy to this album, you do feel like you're having a personal concert with her. I also enjoy hearing the applause, it shows the appreciation the audience has for this talented woman.

There are a few new songs that I never heard before in this album. My favorite was Alfie. It is a wonderful song and she gives an excellent performance. There are many repeats of her other songs, but I enjoy the differences in the performance. I get to hear People in about the fifth version and it is enjoyable. There is her wedding song that she sings, personally I wasn't crazy about it, but I was glad to hear something NEW from her!

The duet with Frank Sinatra falls quite flat in my book. I am not a person who is into "dead duets" or with people who aren't on stage with the performer.

Lauren Frost portrays the young Streisand and her voice is quite good. I was very impressed with her singing performance, I had a feeling it was a very young Streisand!

The other standout performances or those that I found noteworthy include:
Miss Marmelstein - from her first Broadway show, I Can Get It For You Wholesale - this is a very funny, delightful melody.

Something Wonderful / Being Alive - she always does a great job with Stephen Sondheim, these aer two wonderful songs. The first is from Rodgers & Hammerstein's The King and I, the second from Company. Later in the show she sings Putting It Together from Sunday in the Park with George. (note, these songs can be heard in her Broadway albums)

Technology is a spoken type of song, but it is amusing! It is not something I'd listen to continually (thank goodness for the skip button) but I enjoyed it immensely!

Miss Streisand shows her greatest strengths in the show songs. Those are her roots and she excels in this music. However, she has also done ballads, some disco (yikes!), and pop with great success and talent. She needs to do a Broadway collection type of album annually. There is enough good material out there to keep her going for another 100 years!