TOP TEN: Best Documentary Films Ever.

Jun 11, 2000

TOP TEN: Best Documentary Films Ever.

Here is a selection of movies that I think are the top ten best documentary films ever made. Even if you don’t agree with me about the order I think you will at least approve of the choices.

Background:

I am a 25-year-old male engineering and computer science student living in SC. I do have a large humanities background.

Overview:

#10 - Madonna: Truth or Dare:

"Like you've never seen her before."

Even if you don't like her, you have to admit she is one of the most interesting women of our times. You can see the real Madonna and not just the stage Madonna and make up your opinion about the woman behind the legend.

#09 - Trekkies:

"A film about the fans of the various versions of 'Star Trek'."

I am a fan of Star Trek so I really think this is a good movie. But if you are a fan of people and enjoy seeing all of the things we do then you will love this movie too. You'll hear all kind of crazy things people have done in the name of Trek.

#08 - Imagine: John Lennon:

"A biography of the rock music star."

You can see inside the life of John Lennon and learn about the man behind the legend. It has a lot of personal moments and special times in this man's life and does a good job of telling you about who he was.

#07 - Glory:

This is a movie about the first black regiment in the Civil War. It tells about the soldier’s hardships and obstacles they have to overcome just to be soldiers and then to be great soldiers.

#06 - Born of the Fourth of July:

"A story of innocence lost and courage found."

This is the story of a soldier who is badly hurt in Vietnam and then comes back to his country and grows. He feels like his country has turned his back on him and he must overcome this.

#05 - JFK:

"He's a District Attorney. He will risk his life, the lives of his family, everything he holds dear for the one he holds sacred... the truth."

This is a movie about other possibilities in the JFK assignation and some people give it a hard time will others say it is about time. I think it is good to watch if you can find the time.

#04 - Everest:

"An international team of climbers ascends Mt. Everest in the spring of...”

If you ever wanted to know what it is like to climb Mt. Everest then this is the movie for you. This is an IMAX film so you WILL feel like you are there. Also I really think IMAX does a great job of making you feel like you are part of there movies in general not just with this one.

#03 - The Doors:

"The ceremony is about to begin."

This is one of the greatest rock and roll stories of our time. You will definitely be moved by the events and people that this movie takes place around.

#02 - A Brief History of Time:

"A film about the life and work of the cosmologist, Stephen Hawking, who despite his near total paralysis, is one of the great minds of all time."

This is a great movie for learning about the power of the human spirit to prevail over impossible odds. This man has done more for physics with less than any other man ever. Be sure to read the book someday too.

#01 - Woodstock:

"3 days of peace, music...and love"

This is a great movie that really shows you the truth behind the legend. You will be able to see a lot of what Woodstock was about and make up your own mind about it for yourself.

Be sure to check out my other TOP TEN movie reviews.

Thanks!