The Cream of Mushy Movies

Jun 17, 2000

I realize that, for the most part, romantic movies are the antithesis to a guy’s idea of a good time. That is why I compiled this list from a girl’s point of view. I imagine that most guys who read this story will add these films to their “Movies I Will Never Be Seeing” list but you should really give some of them a chance. Obviously some of these movies are not cinematic masterpieces but they do have some entertainment value often in addition to studly male stars. I have even divided the movies into subcategories to ease the selection process.

Romantic movies to watch with your significant other (or movies that will make you wish you had one):
*The Graduate (Guys- imagine having an affair with a girl AND her mom. Dustin Hoffman stars.)
*Say Anything (A modern day Romeo and Juliet starring John Cusack.)
*While You Were Sleeping (Girl is obsessed with boy. Girl saves boy. Girl claims to be his fiancée while he is in a coma.)
*Swingers (Jon Faverau can’t get over his ex-girlfriend of six years. Friend Vince Vaughn tries to get him to deal with it. For the boys- Heather Graham.)
*Bull Durham (Hey- guess what? This movie involves sports plus Susan Sarrandon and Tim Robinson)
*Far and Away (Real life lovers Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman try to make it work with Irish accents)

Romantic movies to watch if you’re in sappy mood (movies that make you go “awwh”):
*Sleepless in Seattle (The quintessential chick flick starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Mentions another great flick An Affair to Remember.)
*Casablanca (The greatest love story of our times involves a forbidden romance between Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart.)
*Ghost (Demi Moore’s husband Patrick Swayze dies. Whoopi Goldberg helps her contact him. Get your tissues out.)
*Beaches (About the strong bond between best friends. Starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. You’ll need a box of tissues each.)
*Bed of Roses (This one is really cheesy but it’s cute. Flower deliveryman Christian Slater falls for Mary Stuart Masterson.)
*Matchmaker (Janeane Garafalo in the middle of an Irish matchmaking festival. Funny and cute.)
*Everyone Says I Love You (Woody Allen’s musical comedy. Stars lipsynchers Drew Barrymore, Natalie Portman, and Natasha Lyonne.)
*One Fine Day (George Clooney, Michelle Pfieffer and some really cute kids. What more could you ask for?)

Romantic movies to watch if you want to laugh:
*Beautiful Girls (This movie is hilarious and has a big ensemble cast including Timothy Hutton, Uma Thurman, Natalie Portman, Michael Rappaport, Matt Dillion and Mira Sorvino.)
*Jerry Maguire (Another sports-related flick with Tom Cruise, Jay Mohr, Renee Zellweger, and Cuba Gooding Jr.)
*When Harry Met Sally (Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal leave you guessing whether they will ever stay together.)
*Roxanne (Updated Cyrano with Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah. Great insult scene.)
*Mystic Pizza (Lauran knows this movie…)

Romantic movies to watch with your buddies on V-day:
*The Cutting Edge (Love on ice! D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly star.)
*It Could Happen to You (The cop, Nicholas Cage, and the waitress, Bridget Fonda, share a winning lotto ticket. Rosie Perez plays the disapproving wife.)
*Dirty Dancing (Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey- with original nose- will dance their way into your heart.)
*Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Audrey Hepburn in rhinestone glasses and black gloves.)
*My Best Friend’s Wedding (Julia Roberts schemes to break up her best friend Dermot Mulroney and his fiancée Cameron Diaz. Rupert Everett “helps” her.)
*Untamed Heart (Christian Slater, with the heart of a baboon, and Marissa Tomei, a disheartened waitress star.)
*Pretty Woman (The precursor to She’s All That, except you know this one is good. With Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.)

Member: Allison Grenewetzki