McDonalds Sweet and Sour Sauce Unveiled

Jun 7, 2000

Lately, our local McDonalds has changed it’s policy on handing out those little packets of Sweet and Sour sauce with their Chicken McNuggets and my children are revolting.

When we visit our local McDonalds, our kids have a preset menu of which one of the main items is a six-piece Chicken McNugget order. Along with their order of nuggets, each has their individual specialties, which of course includes a couple orders of frys.

Getting back to the six piece nuggets and the one allotment of Sweet and Sour sauce. The key word in the previous statement was “ONE” allotment of sauce. As our three children fight for the right to dip their nuggets in this single lone sauce, it does not take more than a few moments and the sauce is now a gooey application upon the tabletop.

Upon returning to the counter, I am faced with an uninterested employee who explains to me that extra sauce is ten cents. Rest assured that that I can afford ten cents for this critical component of my children’s dining experience so I splurge for at least two or three. My current frustration with McDonalds is that in the very recent past we were able to request additional sauce with our nugget purchase. We never requested more than we needed, just two or three.

Well like all good things gone by, when we enter McDonalds and place our standard order, we now order additional sauce. So I thought why not call an associate of mine who works at McDonalds Corporation and just let him know about my comments regarding this minor change. He laughed, called me cheap and then told me “why don’t you just make your own sauce”. Now I laughed and told him give me the recipe and I will.

Here you go…..McDonalds Sweet and Sour Sauce

¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons water

Step One:

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender EXCEPT for the water and puree until the mixture is smooth.

Step Two:

Pour the mixture in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix in the water and stir. Bring this mixture to a boil and allow it to boil for five minutes while stirring often. When it is fully thickened, take the pan off the heat source and let it cool.

So now you and I have the recipe to create Sweet and Sour sauce so our children will not be deprived of the benefit of a full balanced meal. I think I will just continue to order extra sauce, can I borrow thirty cents ?

Member: Sal
Location: CHICAGO, Illinois (Northwest Burbs)
About Me: Chicago native, married with three daughters,Siberian Husky & a stang in the garage.