Ames 10" Forged Hoe (1892600)

Nothing beats a good Hoe

May 17, 2002

Pros:Cuts through the weeds in midstream just above the soils surface.

Cons:Make sure you wear gloves, bare wooden handle can leave blisters!

The Bottom Line: If you are wearing your gloves then the Ames Forged Garden Hoe is a good and solid hoe.

I donít know about you but pulling weeds by hand can be brutal, especially if you are not wearing gloves. Iíll never forget my first lessons at pulling weeds, when I inadvertently pulled a weed that cut my hand. (ouch!) I was not wearing gloves and I cut my hand while pulling up weeds. Thank goodness someone invented the hoe back in 2000 BCE.

Despite our garage being filled with the basic garden hand tools, including a shovel, rake and an old hoe. I couldnít use the old hoe because the head flies off the wooden stick and itís a pain to try and work with a broken hoe. However since I purchased the Ames Forged Garden Hoe at a garage sale last year, I used it several times without the head becoming loose or coming off.

Right now itís grass-cutting season, and with the high grass comes the weeds. Using a hoe to pull weeds is a lot easier and faster than doing it by hand. I currently use the Ames Forged Garden Hoe two to four times a month.

The Ames Forged Garden Hoe can be used for cultivating and weeding depending upon your particular garden task. The hoe has a socket shape 52-inch wooden handle attached to a transverse blade.

Perhaps Iím a bit heavy handed when using my hoe; there are times when I have to literally put my back into it, just for the blade to really catch hold of the dirt.

Itís not recommended that you choke up on the wood handle, actually most Gardnerís suggest standing tall while breaking up clods of dirt, however when the blade became dirty I could not adequately use it unless I held both hands closer to the blade. I definitely recommend keeping the blade clean, and also when using keep your legs slightly bent and allow your arms to pull in when swinging the hoe.

My only real problem with the Ames Forged Garden Hoe is that the wooden handle does not do a good job of absorbing the impact of shock of hitting the ground. Since the Hoe has a wooden varnished handle I recommend wearing gloves when using it so you will avoid friction blisters, trust me the last thing your mate wants to have rub them are hands blistered by a hoe. There are foam pieces that you can purchase at your local hardware store that you can buy for your wooden handle.

By regular hoeing with the Ames Forged Garden Hoe Iíve established and effective and fairly quick method of keeping the front and back yard free of weeds. My hoe cuts through the weeds' leafy growth cutting off the weed in midstream just above the soils surface.

The best time to use your hoe is on a dry day when the weeds will quickly wilt and die as you skim just below the soil surface and cut the weeds in half. If you can take the heat, youíll be amazed how fast the weeds wilt when the suns beaming down on them. Plus this will help kill the annual as well as the perennial weeds. However, to really get rid of the perennial weeds for good, youíll have to get to the root of the problem and dig up the roots.

The Ames Forged Garden Hoe in my opinion is a great basic hoe and itís excellent at getting at the surface of weeds.

The Ames Forged Garden Hoe is like any tool. Cared for properly and used wisely, it can make the job of weeding and cultivating easy, safe and enjoyable.

Remember, your tools will serve you best if you keep them in good condition. Make sure that you clean all the extra soil that has accumulated on your hoe when you put it away at the end of each day you use it.

Trust me, dry hardened soil is much harder to get off of your hoe than fresh soil. To clean Ames Forged Garden Hoe simply rinse it off under the hose then use a damp cloth, and make sure itís dry.

Ginahill and ed-grover have co-hosted this Gardening Write-off to welcome in the growing season. Please take some time and read the wonderful contributions made by the Epinions writers listed below.

aashtech, AdaDavis, ariel10575, artbyjude, BadKitty, BeeCharmer, bluehawq , bluekennedy, BonnieSayers, brendametcalf, ed_grover, Deaser26, disartain, donnamr, donnie013, dramastef, ed_grover, Elsa70, Epinionsuser, Frazzledspice, GinaHill, hadassahchana, lkvanvoorhis, jankp, jkkelley, joydrop26, jro26 , LadyCynic, ledomaine, LRGuis, MaryTara, Michiman1, MrCalcul8r, MrsNormanMaine, MumMumMum, Naphtalia, nifer, patsyv, Pogomom, Psychovant, purplewiz, sherrylee, skbreese, Susiedee34, Vormancian, Willeftk

Ames True Temper Kodiak Forged, Shank-patterned Garden Hoe With 52-inch Handle .

Ames True Temper Kodiak Forged, Shank-patterned Garden Hoe with 52-Inch Handle 1849000 Features Strong Durable forged shank-pattern head Steel Ferrule...

Ames True Temper Kodiak Forged, Shank-patterned Garden Hoe With 52-inch Handle 1

* 52 hardwood handle * Forged, shank pattern garden hoe * Rinsed chrome steel ferrule for strength * Limited lifetime warranty * Blade Size: 6 1/4 x 4...

Ames Kodiakģ Forged Warren Hoe Wood Handle 1842800 1842800

Ames Kodiakģ Forged Warren Hoe Wood Handle 1842800 1842800

Ames 1842800 Features: -Pinned chrome steel ferrule for added strength.-4-3/4'' x 6-5/8'' blade.-Product Type: Hoe.Dimensions: -54'' hardwood handle (...
Wayfair

Ames 54 in. Fiberglas Handle Forged Garden Hoe 2825400

Ames 54 in. Fiberglas Handle Forged Garden Hoe 2825400

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. The Ames garden hoe is ideal for chopping, weeding and clearing garden growth. The blade is thicker at the c...
Home Depot

Ames True Temper, Inc. 7x5-1/2 Razorback Cotton Hoe

Ames True Temper, Inc. 7x5-1/2 Razorback Cotton Hoe

Ames True Temper, Inc. 7X5-1/2 Razorback Cotton Hoe Best For Chopping, Weeding And Making Furrows. Forged, Beveled Blade With A 1/2 Gooseneck Shank. N...

Ames Co. : Forged Mortar Hoe

Ames Co. : Forged Mortar Hoe

Jackson label mortar mixer hoe with forged, perforated blade. Chrome ferrule. 7 x 4.25 blade. 52 handle. Limited lifetime warranty. No. 1962600: Handl...
Ames Co. : Forged Garden Hoe

Ames Co. : Forged Garden Hoe

Forged, shank pattern. 6.25 x 4.25 blade. 52 handle with chrome ferrule. Limited lifetime warranty. No. 1849000: Type: Garden, Blade Length: 6.25, Bla...
Ames True Temper 7x3-1/2 Blackland Cotton Hoe 70110

Ames True Temper 7x3-1/2 Blackland Cotton Hoe 70110

Ames True Temper 7x3-1/2 Blackland Cotton Hoe 70110 Best For Chopping, Weeding And Making Furrows. Forged Beveled Blade With A 7/16 Gooseneck Shank. N...