Goway Travel Ltd.

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Goway is a good way to go

Mar 9, 2004

• How strenuous was your tour?
  • Transportation quality:
  • Knowledge of tour guide(s):
  • How informative was your tour?

Pros:Offer a wide variety of vacations, competitive pricing to fit your bugdet

Cons:Has to be prompted to take care of details. Brochure could give more info.

The Bottom Line: Goway is knowledgeable about their destinations and will suit your vacation to fit your budget.

I have booked two vacations with Goway in the past two years to South Pacific locales. Both vacation were successful, in part to Goway's knowledge of the offered destinations and also their partner tour operators in the South Pacific.

Go way offers vacation packages to almost any South Pacific destination including Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, Tahiti, Tonga, Bali, among others. The North American gateway airports are Los Angeles LAX or Vancouver CYVR. Travel from your hometown to LA or Vancouver is usually not part of the package and will be your responsibility to do the bookings.

My first trip with Goway was last year. I had never been to the South Pacific before so I let Goway make recommendations to fit my budget and my interests. Goway charges a $200 non-refundable deposit per person before they start any bookings. You must be committed to going before they will start processing your vacation. They recommended Fiji and Cook Islands and my wife and I had a great time. What I liked is they fit the vacation into my budget. The package included everything that I wanted and I did not feel that I spent too much. We did not stay in 5 star hotels but the three star hotels were very nice.

In Fiji, Goway is partnered with Rosie Tours. Once in Fiji Rosie Tours took care of our hotel transfers, luggage, and were our point of contact if anything went wrong. We were met by a tour representative and from there everything went well. Before leaving home, Goway issued us with vouchers for all the services that we required. Vouchers for the airport/hotel transfers, hotel rooms, meals, etc...These vouchers make hotel check-in more efficient. Basically everything is taken care of and worries are at a minimum. Given the great time I had in Fiji I could tell that the Goway specialist who planned my vacation was knowledgeable about Fiji and did not try to inflate my budget.

However, as good as it was there was an oversight that had a slight adverse affect on my vacation. I took part of the blame as I failed to inquire about it beforehand as I assumed Goway would handle it. Goway does not offer advance seat selection when they book your flight. I did not know this and when I checked in with Air New Zealand in LAX, my wife and I were not seated together for the 10 hour flight. I was somewhat upset because I had booked three months in advance and trips to the South Pacific are not cheap. I thought it was an automatic service. However, a kind man who was traveling alone offered to switch seats. Then another kind man offered to switch and the flight attendant managed to seat us together, although not in a very good location. When I returned home I mentioned this to my travel agent who did not get a response from Goway because the end result was that we were seated together.

Overall I was impressed with Goway and decided to book through them for my vacation to Tahiti this year. Again, I presented them with my budget and they fit the vacation into my budget. Same deal as last time with service vouchers and a local tour operator to look after us. No problems and everything was efficiently handled. Unlike last year, I specifically asked that Goway advance select our seats. There was never any confirmation from Goway that seats had been selected. After a month I contacted the airline direct and they told me that selection had already been handled. Although the seats would not be my first choice at least it was done this time.

I would not hesitate to use Goway travel again. I would recommend that you ask as many questions you need to ensure the small details are taken care of. Although their brochures are colourful they do not always provide enough information. I did not talk to any Goway rep directly as I liased through a travel agent and perhaps the questions did not get asked through the travel agent.

Some facts about South Pacific and Goway

1. Make sure you budget for travel to either LAX or Vancouver.
2. Packages to the South Pacific are not cheap. However, travel to the South Pacific is worth it.
3. It took 21 hours from Toronto to Tahiti and 26 hours plus crossing the date line to Fiji. Remember the travel time required when booking.
4. Goway prices are reasonable and competitive. If you set a firm budget Goway will do their best to suit you.
5. Goway will not do advance seat selection unless you specifically request it.
6. Goway uses service vouchers that make transfers and hotel check-in very easy.

Best Suited For: Couples