Lindblad Expeditions

Baja, Among the Whales turned out to be Among The Piers of Baja

Feb 4, 2007 (Updated Feb 19, 2007)

• How strenuous was your tour?
  • Transportation quality:
  • Knowledge of tour guide(s):
  • How informative was your tour?

Pros:Saw whales,dolphins and sea lions,and more birds that necessary.

Cons:Food was bad and Lindblad handled the problems with denial.Please check review for update.

The Bottom Line: Be very careful with this company, when things go bad you are left holding the bag. Update: Stepped up & made good the trip.

Just returned from a trip to Baja CA. The propeller shaft broke and we spent four nights tied to a pier, two in San Carlos and two in La Paz. They cut the trip short so they could make repairs and sent us out on local day trip boats, long uncomfortable rides. The short portion of the trip that was normal was fine. The expedition leader tried to minimize the problems by telling us we were going to areas that they rarely go to and they were better. If they were better than that's where they would have gone in the first place! They were evasive and unresponsive and even though they advertise that they are spontaneous and go where the whales are, they barely strayed from the schedule course. Compensation? $23.50! That was an insult. I understand that things happen and you go on as best you can but for as much as these trips cost they really dropped the ball. As a paying customer we share none of the profits and none of the liability. If you are planning a trip with them, you better think twice about it. If your already booked, pray everything goes as planned. As a side note the food was pretty bad, although we didn't go for the food it just added to our misery!

UPDATE: After many fellow travelers complained to Sven Lindblad in e-mails, the true facts of the trip became apparent. Lindblad made a 180 degree turn around. A generous offer was made to all guests and everyone felt they had been treated fairly. We are trying to decide where to go next. Land of the Polar Bears maybe.

Best Suited For: Seniors